Author Topic: Oompa Loompa Land?  (Read 6681 times)

Tex

Oompa Loompa Land?
« on: December 26, 2012, 11:41:35 AM »
My PV Lusso is on my counter and ready to go to work. It's a very nice looking machine, but how am I supposed to make espresso in any volume with those thimble-sized baskets? Even Mrs T, who knows next to nothing about espresso, laughed when I unpacked the portafilter & filter baskets, which promptly caused them to shrink even further! :o ;D

BoldJava

Re: Oompa Loompa Land?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 11:43:46 AM »
Tex, all in life is not judged by size.  John went through the same mental drill until he found the comfort of the PVL shot.

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 11:44:13 AM »
You'll need less volume once you start making great espresso, because great espresso is more satisfying in smaller volumes than mediocre espresso in larger volume.

;)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 11:52:12 AM »
Is that flavoring syrups in the background? In a place of prominence above your espresso machines?

:o tsk tsk tsk

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 11:54:32 AM by headchange4u »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »
Prepare for your espresso world view to be substantially altered.

Go pull shots....
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 11:58:39 AM »
Is that flavoring syrups in the background? In a place of prominence above your espresso machines?

It's for the frou-frou types who occasionally drop by. Once they sink that low it's only an incremental drop to mainlining syrups.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 12:18:13 PM »
Tex, all in life is not judged by size.  John went through the same mental drill until he found the comfort of the PVL shot.

B|Java

I think I'd add that steak is awesome and so is grilled salmon. Both food.....not the same thing.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
Oompa Loompa Land?
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »

It's for the frou-frou types who occasionally drop by. Once they sink that low it's only an incremental drop to mainlining syrups.
I'm surprised that you would voluntarily support frou-frou habits of others. Just say no!

BoldJava

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 01:12:09 PM »
Tex done started to dig his own grave...

Tex

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »
After pulling a few shots with it I can say for sure I'm still on the lookout for a commercial sized 1-group lever machine. This one is OK for the short term, but it's not built to the standards I'm used to seeing in the big boy toys.

If you've never seen a commercial lever group you won't understand; but if you have you'll appreciate my love for over engineered machinery!

milowebailey

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 01:50:32 PM »
I've had 3 small levers (La Pavoni, Sama - still have it, and a Gaggia Achille), and have a CMA 2 group commercial lever.... and the Gaggia Achille produces the best of all the small machines.    Sama is good, but not the same if you are used to a 59mm portafilter.  None of them are on the same plane as the CMA, not even close.

Oh crap, I agree with Tex.....

Tex

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »
I've had 3 small levers (La Pavoni, Sama - still have it, and a Gaggia Achille), and have a CMA 2 group commercial lever.... and the Gaggia Achille produces the best of all the small machines.    Sama is good, but not the same if you are used to a 59mm portafilter.  None of them are on the same plane as the CMA, not even close.

Oh crap, I agree with Tex.....

My desire for a commercial lever machine has nothing to do with shot quality; that's more or less operator dependent.

But once I get a machine rebuilt to like new, or better, condition I expect it to work for the rest of my life with minimal maintenance. Milo's CMA is made by the same company that made the Rancilio lever machine I rebuilt, so I've seen what a beautiful thing a commercial lever group is, and I'm not kidding myself; this PV Lusso is nowhere near the same build quality.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 02:08:50 PM »
But once I get a machine rebuilt to like new, or better, condition I expect it to work for the rest of my life with minimal maintenance. Milo's CMA is made by the same company that made the Rancilio lever machine I rebuilt, so I've seen what a beautiful thing a commercial lever group is, and I'm not kidding myself; this PV Lusso is nowhere near the same build quality.

And you knew that going in...

Apart from the 'build quality' you can still pull and enjoy stellar shots, yes?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »

And you knew that going in...

Apart from the 'build quality' you can still pull and enjoy stellar shots, yes?

I had a SAMA Import Export years ago and the Lusso has the same group, so yes I knew most of its secrets going in. Every once in a while I like to revisit old friends, just to see how the years are treating them. The Lusso has a bigger boiler, so I expect the temp stability issues the Import Export had have been dealt with. I'd expect the Lusso to be a better steamer too.

I was a bit disappointed to see the tubes for the thermo-siphon & steam/hot water valves attached by brazing, but these are minor issues for a prosumer machine. I expect I'll soon be pulling shots on the Lusso that equal those from my HX, so for the money the Lusso appears to be a great machine.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:47:08 AM by Tex »

Tex

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 02:34:06 PM »
First shot;
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBgrv6kYLkk

Not bad, given that I haven't regularly used a lever in ~8 years!