Author Topic: Oompa Loompa Land?  (Read 6682 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Oompa Loompa Land?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »
After pulling a few shots with it I can say for sure I'm still on the lookout for a commercial sized 1-group lever machine. This one is OK for the short term, but it's not built to the standards I'm used to seeing in the big boy toys.

You are talking about two different things.

The fit and finish of the PVL is crude at best but you saw that before pulling any shots. I don't understand what you learned from pulling ~10 shots with it that made you think it was "ok in the short term but not built to the standards of the big boy toys".

Like the known fit and finish shortcomings the PVL is the same as any home machine vs commercial machine...decidedly they are not commercial machines. They are considerably smaller.

The thing to learn from pulling shots (many more than a days worth) is what type of shot quality you can get from the machine not the build quality vs a commercial machine quadruple its weight.

Otherwise you set yourself up for failure before unpacking the box. It was never going to be a commercial machine in size, weight, robust build....

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 06:30:24 PM »
I think I tasted some brazing in my shot this morning.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »
I think I tasted some brazing in my shot this morning.

And a tiny Scotty said "She's breaking up Captain".
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 08:10:44 PM »
After pulling a few shots with it I can say for sure I'm still on the lookout for a commercial sized 1-group lever machine. This one is OK for the short term, but it's not built to the standards I'm used to seeing in the big boy toys.

Snip, snip, snippy, snip

Otherwise you set yourself up for failure before unpacking the box. It was never going to be a commercial machine in size, weight, robust build....

Peace out, dude!

Soapbox

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 08:59:06 PM »
If your not happy I'll take it off your hands for what you paid.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 06:40:56 AM »
If your not happy I'll take it off your hands for what you paid.

Boom!    8)

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 08:26:23 AM »
Great looking shot Robert!

Welcome back to lever land.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 08:41:14 AM »
I can see where a 2-group Lusso would be an advantage. It's been so long since I've used a machine without a 3-way valve I'd forgotten about the portafilter sneeze.

I rushed making a 2nd shot this morning and was rewarded with a slurry of hot coffee and grounds blowing out everywhere. If it had a second group I could alternate pulling shots and the portafilter sneeze wouldn't be an issue. This coffee making machine is going to take some getting used to!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 09:45:23 AM »
I can see where a 2-group Lusso would be an advantage. It's been so long since I've used a machine without a 3-way valve I'd forgotten about the portafilter sneeze.

Push the lever half way down before removing the portafilter.....you will never have a sneeze.

All you really need is another basket for back to back to back shots.

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 10:25:36 AM »

Push the lever half way down before removing the portafilter.....you will never have a sneeze.

All you really need is another basket for back to back to back shots.

Thanks John - and my machine came with two baskets, so I'm good it seems?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 10:38:14 AM »
Two double baskets....you are ready to rock!

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 10:54:34 AM »
Rock on Robert!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 12:10:11 PM »
Two double baskets....you are ready to rock!

Anyone ever make a triple basket for the Lusso? I already have a bottomless PF, so it's just begging for a deeper basket.

jspain

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 12:21:20 PM »
I've had 3 small levers (La Pavoni, Sama - still have it, and a Gaggia Achille), and have a CMA 2 group commercial lever.... and the Gaggia Achille produces the best of all the small machines.    Sama is good, but not the same if you are used to a 59mm portafilter.  None of them are on the same plane as the CMA, not even close.

Oh crap, I agree with Tex.....

:o

Well Tex I'll pay shipping to my place and put you out of your misery! After watching your video I'd throw that sucker away!  ;)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 12:21:57 PM »
Stop thinking like a pump machine..  ;)

Lee Morrison