Author Topic: One Pound Roaster For under 100  (Read 15569 times)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: One Pound Roaster For under 100
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2013, 02:50:48 PM »
If you have birds, teflon fumes will kill them.  Probably not too good for people either.  I don't think it will get that hot if designed correctly.

No of course coffee roasters don't have teflon!!  Why?  There is no need for it, beans are not going to stick to the roasters.  Not to mention the rocks and stuff that find their ways into roasters would probably do all kinds of terrible stuff to the teflon as well.

Lye might eat your base metal as well.  It will eat the hell out of aluminum, so if it's a T coated aluminum pan, lye is a bad move, well, so is acid to be honest.  If you want something a bit gentler,but would take a bit longer, try the stuff you clean your coffee pots with, let it soak on them a bit after scratching em up with a brillo pad.

or you could just polyurethane your stuff and not have to worry about the teflon coming off  ;D 8)

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »
Lucky for us we have nothing in our house that is Teflon coated to cook on, and for a year now my little SC/TO hobby roasters has no Teflon on it. Using the glass cutting blasting media peals it off in 4 or 5 min. then I use a SOS scrubbing pad to clean and polish, works perfect. The lazy way to do it. Rich

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2013, 08:21:35 PM »
Just scored a decent Decosonic TO off ebay... $25 shipped.  Not quite as good as the deal last week... $45 shipped.

Something do is, during the bidding I'll ask the seller if they'll reduce their shipping costs since I don't need another big glass bowl.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2013, 09:20:19 PM »
Just scored a decent Decosonic TO off ebay... $25 shipped.  Not quite as good as the deal last week... $45 shipped.

Something do is, during the bidding I'll ask the seller if they'll reduce their shipping costs since I don't need another big glass bowl.

Do they normally accommodate that request?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2013, 09:33:23 PM »

???

The last two did.  They know they can list the bowl separately, so if they knock $5 off my shipping and have a bowl that might bring $15...   Then I threaten to send Mikey down to lean on them a little...  they always see it my way eventually.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2013, 09:44:35 PM »
Great deal $25.00 shipped.  After shipping cost and fees the guy made about 2 bucks on the deal, wait after his time packaging labeling he lost $2.00. Great deal P

Offline mrjay

• Standard User
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2013, 11:37:53 PM »
I started roasting beans just a few months ago, with an inexpensive heat gun and a stainless steel bowl, and had what I believed were OK results with up to 2 cups (350gm) of green beans.  Once I saw SC/TO's in action on youtube, I just had to build one.

I'm not knowledgeable enough about roasting to speak to the "good" component of the triple constraints (good/fast/cheap), but the SC/TO was definitely cheap and fast.

$10 - used Stir Crazy
$38 - new Rosewill TO (could not find one at the local thrift stores)
$7 - 1.5" x 1/16 thick aluminum
$3 - 1" copper plumbing cap
$58 total

As for "fast", it was 5 days from the time I first stumbled across a SC/TO video until the time I finished my first test roast on one. The most time consuming part was driving around to the local thrift shops and the most challenging was getting that danged aluminum spacer shaped into a decent circle.  I've since done about 7 more roasts, if the attachment works, below should be a pic of today's roasting results with 325gm of Burundi Kirimiro Teka.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2013, 04:41:46 AM »

???

The last two did.  They know they can list the bowl separately, so if they knock $5 off my shipping and have a bowl that might bring $15...   Then I threaten to send Mikey down to lean on them a little...  they always see it my way eventually.

You mean you used Mikey's name in vain?

:o
lp, 7-Ski

espressomaker

« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2013, 08:58:01 PM »
is it necessary to remove the heat element from the sc for roadt profiling?

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2013, 09:06:47 PM »

rustic_roaster

« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2013, 09:04:17 AM »
Not sure if this was mentioned but a bread machine/heat gun setup should come in under $100 if you get the bread machine used.   I watched a video that they roasted about 5 cups of green  beans, which is about 1.5lb.   

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2013, 10:13:40 AM »
Almost completed my SC/TO project speed control on the 50 rpm motor, 3000 Watt dimmer on the lower element, installed a TC for bean temp just need to test and repackage. My Brother is cumming up next weekend to weld a 1" Aluminum tubing for chafe ejection and maybe try to fab a little damper

$21.00 motor
$13.00 dimmer
$7.00 SC Goodwill
$25.00 Turbo Oven
$22.00 Motor speed controller
$11.00 TC
$20.00 basic temp controller, no pid. This is a spare I had laying around. (Pushed the total little over $100.00 bucks)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 11:22:56 AM by sea330 »

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2013, 03:08:47 PM »
Well done Sea.

How many pounds is the maximum for that motor?

:)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2013, 05:38:07 PM »
It has allot of torq, I would bet it would handle 3 lbs easy, but the most you could put in this set up 1.5 to 2 lbs. Playing around with it this morning adjusting the dimmer on the heating element to 320 watts seems to heat up to right at 350 deg, next step is to clean up the tangled mess, get things organized for easy dumping. I will probably give this one to my Brother, this stuff is fun to play with. I have two others I don't need another. If it works well maybe a tiny road map for somebody on GCBC. I thought of the pid approach but decided just good temp control with a couple deg dead band from set point would work the best for this application.

espressomaker

« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2013, 08:32:45 AM »
where is a good place to get a thermometer?