Author Topic: Curious to Try Chemex: What's the Best Combination?  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
Curious to Try Chemex: What's the Best Combination?
« on: February 01, 2014, 07:16:42 AM »
I'm totally a French Press guy at the moment, but I'm interested in the Chemex. What's the best spout/top part/thingie to get? And I hear that the paper filters give an off taste. What to use?

Thank you.

coffeeman

Re: Curious to Try Chemex: What's the Best Combination?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 11:21:01 AM »
The Chemex doesn't have a top part/spout. You brew in it and serve it from the same device. I'd get the version with the glass handle--its much easier to clean, imo looks better, it's usually cheaper, and it's easier to maintain. As far as filters, I'd get the bleached kind. The unbleached kind supposedly give off a papery aftertaste. When brewing, before you put the ground beans in, rinse the filter and then dump out the water. This will get rid of any minimal paper taste as well as pre-heat the unit so less heat is lost when you are brewing. Good luck!

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 11:53:17 AM »
If you've got the scratch, since your a press coffee fan pairing a Chemex with a Kone is a natural.

An 8 cup is the largest I'd consider, I have a 10 or 12 cup.

I do not have that kind of money, so I guess I'll stick with the press for now.

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 12:28:17 PM »
For my birthday, my wife got me the 10 cup with a handle and a Kone.  Really a nice combination.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

jspain

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »
Chemex and Kone are my pour over "go to" with no paper filter. I use a vac pot the most but do enjow a pour over when "the boss" is gone. I do 4 cups in my set-up. I got mine for $20 at a close out of a coffee shop! It does give a bit of silt but a good cup imho over a paper filter.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 02:53:53 PM »
Maybe try a Hario V60. I have a Chemex and a Hario. I use the Hario probably twenty times for every one I use the Chemex.

Confused here. Isn't the V60 what you'd put on top of the Chemex to put coffee in?

Aromajunkie

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 03:06:37 PM »
Maybe try a Hario V60. I have a Chemex and a Hario. I use the Hario probably twenty times for every one I use the Chemex.

Confused here. Isn't the V60 what you'd put on top of the Chemex to put coffee in?

A picture worth a thousand words.  ;)

How to Brew the Perfect Coffee with a Chemex

More.

Hario V60 Pour Over: A brewing guide
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:09:17 PM by Aromajunkie »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »
And of course, that second video from AJ could be changed over to a V60 sitting on top of a mug or most travel mugs rather than the Hario carafe.  And as Eric pointed out, if you want to get a way from paper, then the Kone is a great option.

The point to remember with a pourover is some setups will regulate the water flow for you, and other setups you will need a good pouring kettle.  I have the Bee House, and you can pour from a tea kettle, but when I use the Kone I need a good gooseneck kettle.

Odds are, your curiosity will be offset by new investments, and you'll stick w/ the press pot.  About the only way to get away from paper will lead to an expensive metal filter and expensive kettle.  My question would be, why are you curious, what makes you want to leave the press pot, and how much moolah can you throw at this whim?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »
I've had it with Chemex...too easy to break (don't ask)!

My pourover setup works wonderfully. Its an:
1) old Silex vacuum bottom
2) Clever coffee dripper on top of that
3) Kone filter with no lousy paper (either generation 1 or 3) in the Clever

Paico pouring kettle, done :)

yum

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 05:51:43 PM »
I'd say pass but you probably can't resist trying it...

Curiosity is powerful.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 05:58:16 PM »
Odds are, your curiosity will be offset by new investments, and you'll stick w/ the press pot.  About the only way to get away from paper will lead to an expensive metal filter and expensive kettle.  My question would be, why are you curious, what makes you want to leave the press pot, and how much moolah can you throw at this whim?

Because it's there, Peter. Like others, I'm interested in getting the best tasting coffee I can, so I'm curious about other methods. You're right, though. I would never want to be addicted to buying Chemex filters, and the Kone seems obscenely expensive for what it is. So I guess it's still French Press for me, which has given me the best coffee to date.

RobertL

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 06:07:30 PM »
If you want to try something other than a french press I suggest a clever coffee dripper. It makes a cup similar to french press but much cleaner and doesn't require a gooseneck kettle.

SJM

Offline GerryG

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »
If you want to try something other than a french press I suggest a clever coffee dripper. It makes a cup similar to french press but much cleaner and doesn't require a gooseneck kettle.

+1.  I've been using the Clever daily for three years.  Threads like this make me think of trying pourovers, but the Clever is just so easy and produces a great cup, so my curiosity dies quickly.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 08:24:04 PM »
I do however highly recommend a goose neck kettle.  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison