Author Topic: Compak k3 touch timer disconnection  (Read 1844 times)

silicon

Compak k3 touch timer disconnection
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:24:28 AM »
Hi

I own a compak k3 touch, a very good product IMHO , the only think I don't like is the timer , is there an easy way to disconnect it and use only the push button switch  ?

Timer is funny the first week , but after a couple of week , it's more a handicap .

Thank's

Michel G

GC7

Re: Compak k3 touch timer disconnection
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 09:16:03 AM »
Owned one for four years before I bought my K10 and agree its a really nice functional grinder.

The switch is a three way. Set it in one direction and its on timer where you push the bar to get preset grind9ing time. Push the switch in the other direction and it grinds continuously. Very simple. Let me know if you have further problem and I'll try to talk yyou through it.

silicon

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 01:33:53 PM »
Thank's , I know but i think it will be far better easier to just use the switch we push with the portafilter.

That's why I want to disconnect the timer.

My isomac macinino work this way and it's perfect, but the compak is far better for grinding regular

GC7

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 02:00:35 PM »
If that's what you want then do what I do with my K10. I keep the switch on all the time and connect the cord to a digital darkroom type timer. It allows pulsing for the selected period but you press the bar and it stops the grinding whenever you want. It's a GraLab 450 model.

With the K10 I do it so I don't abuse the switch by pulsing over and over when I single dose. Works great. I do think the compak K3 switch will work forever as intended.

SJM

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 02:50:24 PM »
If that's what you want then do what I do with my K10. I keep the switch on all the time and connect the cord to a digital darkroom type timer. It allows pulsing for the selected period but you press the bar and it stops the grinding whenever you want. It's a GraLab 450 model.

With the K10 I do it so I don't abuse the switch by pulsing over and over when I single dose. Works great. I do think the compak K3 switch will work forever as intended.

I'm glad to see this.  I have worried about how many times (3-4-5) I turn that switch on and off for each dose on the K-10.
Susan

GC7

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 04:35:24 PM »
Susan - I use this on my K10 because I don't want to pulse 4-5 times with the switch each time I pull a shot. The guy I bought the grinder from gave it to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271420049365?lpid=82

The K3 switch seemed to me to be smaller and simpler and less likely to break.

SJM

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 04:41:12 PM »
I made an offer of $50.

Thanks Geoffrey.
Sorry to hijack the thread...

Susan

GC7

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 05:14:44 PM »
I made an offer of $50.

Thanks Geoffrey.
Sorry to hijack the thread...

Susan
No problem - Sorry to cost you more cash.  ;D  It really does work well. I set it for 7 seconds which grinds one full dose (17-18 gm). Then I just hit the bar to pulse and hit it again a second later to stop. Works like a charm.

SJM

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 05:21:34 PM »
C O O L.
I'll check in when it gets here....

Susan

silicon

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »
Thank's , I will look for one , it looks as the best way to use the grinder

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 09:31:43 AM »

I wonder if pulsing the grinder is wearing out more than just the switch.  No doubt, the motor will last forever for a non-commercial application like what we use it for, but start-up is what puts the most stress on any motor.

I single dose too, but use a small hard rubber spatula to clean out the chute while the grinder's on, and don't have to bump it on and off several times.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

GC7

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »

I wonder if pulsing the grinder is wearing out more than just the switch.  No doubt, the motor will last forever for a non-commercial application like what we use it for, but start-up is what puts the most stress on any motor.

I single dose too, but use a small hard rubber spatula to clean out the chute while the grinder's on, and don't have to bump it on and off several times.

Peter - I'm certain there are several ways to effectively single dose with the K10. I also wish all of us live long enough drinking great espresso from it to see the K10 break down from overuse!

silicon