Author Topic: hottop repair  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Nucer

• Standard User
  • about those grandkids.......
hottop repair
« on: March 26, 2014, 07:24:52 AM »
The old girl, the roaster not the wife, decided it was time for a new heater.  The heater actually got caught on the rotating basket and that was all she wrote.  So I contacted Hottopusa and order a new heater.  First I have never taken the hottop apart besides taking out the basket and cleaning the interior.  So I figured I would be in for a whole day of frustrating work.  I am a mechanical engineer by trade, or use to be before I become a mentor to the youngun's, but somehow easy jobs are never easy.

So the part arrived and I told the wife that while she was out I would have a go at the roaster.  Surprise, Surprise, the replacement was easy.  Oh there are a lot of screws to be removed but everything is easy to get to.  The site gives you instructions which I suppose you should read but being an engineer, instructions are for others and not me.  Even so I was finished in a short period of time   I think the whole thing took a little over an hour.  One reason for the long period of time was I actually cleaned the roaster too.  I was amazed at how much chaff was in there.  I mean it was everywhere.  I took some compressed air to it and thankfully I was outside.  I must have blown out that roaster for 5 minutes. I cleaned the fan, the metal siding and even the roasting chamber.  All that took at least 15 - 20 minutes. 

Anyway to make an already long story a bit longer, the roaster now works better than before.  It heats up relatively fast and the roast taste better or at least I have convinced myself it does.  The only injuries were a cut on my middle finger, the edges are sharp so care should be taken, and a burned thumb.  Oh I had to make sure the heater was working before reassembly and used the touch method.  Yeah a stupid move on my part but then what is a task if you aren't injuried?  So the moral to this post is don't be afraid to take the hottop roaster apart.  In fact it is probably a good idea since with all that chaff, hey 8 years of roasting leaves a bit, I am surprise I never had a fire.

So now it is back to roasting my own and thinking about upgrading the old lady, again the roaster not the wife, to a new controller.

(happily roasting in Benbrook, Texas)
Nucer B-) Money doesn't buy happiness it just make the misery of work easier

Offline expy98

• Standard User
Re: hottop repair
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 07:43:37 AM »
Wow 8 years of chaff, you should've weighed it :-)

After wash, I swear the car runs better too.

RobertL

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:16:55 AM »
I'm surprised the fan would spin with eight years of roast gunk on it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Offline Nucer

• Standard User
  • about those grandkids.......
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 09:06:26 AM »
The fan may have been part of the problem.  The fan works, the roaster roast and all is good.  The roaster should give me plenty more years of work.  Again I was surprise at how easy it was to disassemble the roaster. 

(amazed at how dirty the roaster was in Benbrook, Texas)
Nucer B-) Money doesn't buy happiness it just make the misery of work easier