Author Topic: Now I've gone and done it: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Thread.  (Read 25051 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Now I've gone and done it: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Thread.
« on: April 04, 2014, 07:38:49 AM »
I just ordered new Ponte Vecchio Lusso 1 group from 1st Line Espresso. I had been looking at spending ~$800 for a used Cremina, but then I noticed that I could get a brand new Ponte Vecchio Lusso from 1st Line with free shipping for that price. The used Creminas have been going for big money lately, and I figured if I was spending that much money, it would be nice to have a new machine.

They just started shipping them again. I spoke with Diane via email and she is going to insure the package. They are packing the inside of the machine to help reduce damage to the machine. She said most of the time, if there was any shipping damage, it was to the case. I told her I can live with a ding or 2. I've got a buddy that removes dents for a living.

Now I need you PVL owners to make or point me toward some videos on using the machine. I'm going to start going through the Lever Machine thread and start developing my lever mojo.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:03:30 PM by Joe »

BoldJava

Re: Now I've gone and done it.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 08:15:40 AM »
I just ordered new Ponte Vecchio Lusso 1 group ...

You are going to be very pleased with the shot quality of your machine.  Enjoy!

RobertL

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 08:19:06 AM »
Congrats on the new machine!

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 08:51:10 AM »
Welcome to lever land!!  It's a lovely place!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 09:03:28 AM »
You made a fantastic choice!

I started by using the Staylor method but over time developed my own (much different) system. Interestingly enough when we got the chance to test them we were making pretty similar shots via much different methods.

This really is an interactive machine..It's going to give you feedback once you start using it.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 09:20:00 AM »
I started by using the Staylor method but over time developed my own (much different) system. Interestingly enough when we got the chance to test them we were making pretty similar shots via much different methods.

Care to elaborate on either or both methods?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 09:30:25 AM »
There is a thread here somewhere...I will look.

In short I personally don't prefer going in for the second pull that many (if not most) people do. I get everything I can loaded into the shot and go for the most I can get "stacked" in there before letting go for my one pull.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 09:53:17 AM »

In short I personally don't prefer going in for the second pull that many (if not most) people do....

I have never understood a second pull. 

Aren't you drawing air up through the puck and into the group diffuser, creating a vacuum effect that will muck up the diffuser/piston chamber?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 10:22:26 AM »
I just made a completely haphazard one handed vid/shot pull that is uploading now.

If I had any shame I'd delete it and not allow it to see the light of day but for PVL'ers I will do what I can so please excuse this sloppy shot, look past that, and see the intent I had in mind..

Posting in a few moments..

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 10:35:45 AM »
A quick look for Headchange...: http://youtu.be/eq_z2BXgras

Lee Morrison

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »
Going to watch. Thanks John.

Edit:

I know you were handicapped with one hand, but I find that extremely helpful. As many here know, I like to tinker, but I need at least a basic idea of what I need to do.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:03:03 PM by headchange4u »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 01:13:42 PM »
I also found Shaun's video:
Ponte Vecchio Lusso 2 group lever action

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 01:15:08 PM »
Do try going in for a second pull.

You may prefer it and there is only one way to find out.

Also make sure you use both hands.  ???

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:17:39 PM by John F »

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 01:42:50 PM »
It's kind of interesting watching how differently we approach the shot.

For me everything happens before I let go of the lever and in his vid  It's mainly after the first full travel that the game is on.

Very different approaches.

Lee Morrison

jspain

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 06:24:17 PM »
Jason,

CONGRATS!!!!!

John has given great advice. I will experiment more with the one pull method. I have used Shaun's method for the last two years and I see what John is saying because feel is every thing. I pre infuse for 5 seconds and go to a half pull then a full pull with"the feel" as guidance....

I'll stay tuned in too your adventure!!!! HAVE FUN!!!  ;)