Author Topic: Now I've gone and done it: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Thread.  (Read 25257 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Now I've gone and done it: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Thread.
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2014, 07:56:13 PM »
Not sure on the relay, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have an autofill solenoid. It sounded like the heating element clanging against the boiler, although I don't see how that's possible.

SJM

« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2014, 08:01:39 PM »
I think your Lussos should go back to 1st Line.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »
Today I did a heads-up comparison between the PVL and Gaggia Classic. This time the spring on the PVL acted properly, and gave a nice shot. The shot on the Classic was similar, but still slightly preferred over the PVL.

Now I just need to do this EVERY day for a month or two.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2014, 10:57:39 AM »
I've switched over to using the PVL exclusively. Most days I have two espressos (or one espresso and latte). I've been generally pleased, and still fine tuning my technique. So far the most coffee I've used is 14 grams for the double basket.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2014, 11:01:54 AM »
I don't think you should be finding PVL and Gaggia shots very similar.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2014, 12:05:49 PM »
I'll have to chalk that up to my lack of experience with espresso. The Gaggia has been my only source for drinkable espresso for the last two years (after I installed the PID).

I still don't have the vocabulary / palate to be very descriptive about what I'm drinking. Probably the result of drinking SO much wine ...

century

« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »
Ok. This is weird. I went to fix me a latte, and shortly after turning the machine on, literally within seconds, it started making a clunking noise and vibrating. It had a half a tank of water at the time. I emptied the boiler, and looked inside but I did not see anything wrong. After refilling the machine and turning it on again the noise and vibration went away. Has anyone ever had this happen?

Ponte Vecchio Lusso Strange Noise: http://youtu.be/CflxpVmTs-o

Damn, thats an unnerving sound.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2014, 08:57:25 AM »
Well the saga continues...

We ended up sending the machine back to 1st Line for repair. Last week 1st Line calls my coworker and tells him the control board was bad on his PVL and they replaced it. On Friday they called him again and asked to send back the double basket, single basket, funnel for filling boiler, and the measuring scoop or they would have to charge him for those items. Confused, my coworker John asked them why they would be charging him for those items when they would be sending the machine back to him after the repairs. 1st Line then proceeded to tell him they had boxed the machine up and put it back on the shelf for resale and need those items to go back with the machine, and would be issuing him a refund. Even more confused, my coworker said he did not want a refund. He wanted the PVL repaired and sent back to him. Whoever he talked to at 1st Line told him that accounting had already started the refund process and that he could buy anther machine if he wanted one, minus the cost of the portafilter, which I had made into a naked portafilter. They also told him they were charging him for the piston seals they had sent out and I had replaced. When he asked why they were charging him for the seals, they proceeded to tell him the seals were not the problem and were operating fine. He informed them that I had already changed the piston seals and the old ones were indeed torn and defective. He had pictures to prove it. They are still charging him $90 for a new portafilter.

He was so pissed that he told them to keep the machine and issue him a refund. I was was shocked at the way he was treated. Originally, he wanted to return the machine for a refund, but they told him there would be a 5% restocking fee, plus the cost of a new portafilter (understandable), plus he had to pay return shipping. Instead of getting a refund he decided, on my advice, to send the machine in for repairs. 1st Line even issued a "Repair Authorization Number" form that stated it was being sent in to be repaired, but instead of sending the machine back to him they stuck it on the shelf and refused to send it back.

It's bad enough that he got a machine that was defective in more ways than one, but now 1st line's customer service has exasperated the situation.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:08:32 PM by headchange4u »

SJM

« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2014, 09:03:40 AM »
Ouch !!!!
Dishonor among thieves !!!

>:(  >:(  >:(

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2014, 09:20:38 AM »
That is shockingly bad.  :(
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2014, 09:51:37 AM »
Note to self: 1st line is the first to avoid....

century

« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2014, 10:01:26 AM »
Note to self: 1st line is the first to avoid....

Yep. Thats despicable customer service.

jspain

« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2014, 11:03:29 AM »
No 1st Line for me, EVER!

Offline Intrepid510

• Standard User
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2014, 11:07:50 AM »
Wtf? Was he just dealing with a rep or someone higher up?

That is just shocking, i have only heard good things from 1st line. I say cool down a bit see if he can speak with someone else otherwise dispute the crap out of that one if it was via a credit card and issue a bbb complaint.

I cant imagine that like taking your car to the dealer to fix a recall issue then they say you will get a refund minus depreciation. Wtf?!?!?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:14:05 AM by Intrepid510 »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2014, 11:11:27 AM »
I've never had any problems with them.

Maybe this was just a bad day with a new employee or something.  :-\

Lee Morrison