Author Topic: Now I've gone and done it: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Thread.  (Read 25054 times)

SJM

Re: Now I've gone and done it: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Thread.
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2014, 08:00:44 AM »
Interesting with the SAMA you only have to do that if you have opened up the boiler to add water.  You don't have to "release the false pressure" on the subsequent pulls.  Or so I have always thought, and practice...

Susan

I try to put in just enough water that I use most of it during an espresso session, and then I drain off the excess when I'm shutting the system down. That way I'm always using fresh water for every session, which means my boiler cap is off and on for every session.

Well that makes sense and explains the difference. 
I only fill the boiler once ever three days or so.

Susan

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2014, 08:26:06 AM »
I normally remove the boiler cap and place it in my front pocket. Then I pick up the machine with both hands and tilt it on its back with a 9% pitch with the water inlet bias. At this point I gingerly dip the machine into a stream flowing that meets my requirements as I determine using the Gauckler Manning formula. It's also important at this point to ensure you don't have sunlight at an unfortunate angle. If you do this at the wrong time of day your movement of the machine can easily be mistaken for a distress signal due to the chrome reflection. Therefore early am or late afternoon are the best times to fill.

Then I put the machine back into my pack, get down to the trailhead, drive home, and pull some shots.

But that being said you really should bleed off false pressure and pull a blank shot on warm up like Staylor said.  8)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:45:42 AM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

SJM

« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2014, 08:55:18 AM »
I normally remove the boiler cap and place it in my front pocket. Then I pick up the machine with both hands and tilt it on its back with a 9% pitch with the water inlet bias. At this point I gingerly dip the machine into a stream flowing that meets my requirements as I determine using the Gauckler Manning formula. It's also important at this point to ensure you don't have sunlight at an unfortunate angle. If you do this at the wrong time of day your movement of the machine can easily be mistaken for a distress signal due to the chrome reflection. Therefore early am or late afternoon are the best times to fill.

Then I put the machine back into my pack, get down to the trailhead, drive home, and pull some shots.

But that being said you really should bleed off false pressure and pull a blank shot on warm up like Staylor said.  8)

Listen to them.
They have Lussos.
I have a SAMA.
Different machine;  different strokes.

Susan

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »

Outstanding, I've been thinking of using the Gauckler Manning formula, instead I am using the Darcy-Weisbach equation.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2014, 11:22:01 AM »
Outstanding, I've been thinking of using the Gauckler Manning formula, instead I am using the Darcy-Weisbach equation.

Positively scandalous!!

I say, nobody can accuse you of shying from adventure. I'm both intrigued and slightly pensive by your choice here. It's certainly something to think over...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:34:39 AM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2014, 11:47:48 AM »

Positively scandalous!!

I say, nobody can accuse you of shying from adventure. I'm both intrigued and slightly pensive by your choice here. It's certainly something to think over...

If it doesn't work out, I think I will combine the formula and the equation. Twice as good?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2014, 11:59:22 AM »
A compounding effect....very nice!

Lee Morrison

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2014, 12:21:16 PM »
Can you cut it down, or have a custom handle made?
My wife did suggest getting a custom handle ... maybe a birthday present  ::)
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2014, 01:24:31 PM »
Can you cut it down, or have a custom handle made?
My wife did suggest getting a custom handle ... maybe a birthday present  ::)

There are a few members with a lathe and the skill to use it.  Maybe a thread asking about this would get you one via GCBC.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »
Peter, there is no rush. Based on the last few days, it will take me two months before I can pull a decent espresso  ???

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »
sounds like a titan grinder is in your future :-)

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2014, 07:22:35 PM »
Found another discussion thread for PVL owners. Love those Aussies - check out the title of the thread:
http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-equipment-pointy-end-1500-3000/28916-ponte-vecchio-lusso-club-spring-lever-espresso-machine.html

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2014, 08:48:57 AM »
The tale of two Lussos.

Some of you might find this interesting.

I ordered my PVL around the 1st of April. If you remember, I kept the machine at work for about 3 weeks before finally moving to my counter at home. Several of my coworkers had become quite fond of the machine and one of them actually ended up buying one for himself. His machine was purchased around May 21st.

His PVL arrived and I started helping my coworker unpack and set up the machine. It was during this time that I first started to notice subtle differences between his machine and mine. The most obvious differences were different steam and hot water knobs as well as a different boiler cap. My coworker took his machine home for a few days, and when he returned it to work he said that there was a slight hitch in the lever while brewing coffee. I tested it and sure enough, on the first pull of the day, there was was indeed a slight hiccup when the lever was rising.

I ended up popping off the  dispersion screen on the group head and checking things out inside. Everything looked okay. The was used machine on and off throughout that day without issue. I went to pull a shot later that afternoon. I loaded my normal 15 grams that I do at home, and when I went to pull the shot the lever lurched upward and the water flow all but stopped. I pulled the lever down to fill the boiler and water started running through the puck like I was brewing coffee, and when I let the lever start to rise I again had the lurch and the water all but stopped. Come to find out that if you loaded much more the 14 grams in the double basket, the piston seals would fail, and the machine would not brew properly. At home I have used 15-16 grams without issue.

I know the grind may have something to do with the issue. I have choked my machine at home to the point where the lever wouldn't rise, but I've never had my machine act the way that my friends machine does. Basically, if you load much more than 14 grams in the double basket, when the lever starts to rise, the seals will fail and allow water to rush back into the boiler.

But the saga continues. I came in yesterday morning and turned on his machine. I returned 45 minutes later only to find that the pressure gauge was reading 0. The machine had not heated up, even though the power light was on. I knew there was a reset switch that you have to hit if the water gets too low, so I hit the reset button, even though the machine had a half tank of water. Still nothing. I ended up taking the case of the machine and testing the heating elements, which checked out fine. I inspected the other components but nothing looked amiss. After putting the machine back together and refilling it, I flipped the power switch and after about 15 minutes, the machine came up to temperature and the proper pressure. I was perplexed.

The machine is functioning fine this morning, but I am still wary of it's longevity. My machine hasn't had the slightest hiccup since it came into my possession. There are obvious cosmetic differences between my machine and his, but I would have assumed that the internals would have been the same. After taking the case off of his machine yesterday I can say that his internal steam and hot water valves are slightly different from my machine (these valves have to be removed to remove the case). It makes me wonder is the other components differ.

I have spoken with 1st Line on the phone, and the gentleman I spoke with agreed that the seals were failing and told me he would send out a set of new seals. It's getting close to 2 weeks since we spoke and I have not seen the seals. I have contacted them twice via their website and gotten no response.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2014, 09:03:03 AM »
The tale of two Lussos.

Some of you might find this interesting.

I have spoken with 1st Line on the phone, and the gentleman I spoke with agreed that the seals were failing and told me he would send out a set of new seals. It's getting close to 2 weeks since we spoke and I have not seen the seals. I have contacted them twice via their website and gotten no response.

Yes - very interesting, and a bit alarming!

I noticed some discussion on the Aussie forum back in 2012 about the need to replace seals annually. I had not seen mention of this elsewhere:
http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-equipment-pointy-end-1500-3000/28916-ponte-vecchio-lusso-club-spring-lever-espresso-machine-7.html#post476369

jspain

« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2014, 01:50:50 PM »
Jason,

A few thoughts that may or may not be of interest?

The situations that you describe may only be grind, tamp, and pressure issues.... Everything except the zero pressure issue I have seen with my machine as I change greens, grind, and tamp..... Especially on the first pull of the morning. I will drink the first pull but the second and others are always better. Patti gets the first one.....!  ;)