Author Topic: K-10 help needed  (Read 4729 times)

SJM

K-10 help needed
« on: April 28, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »
So, the K-10 is having a problem.
It simply won't....

I weigh the beans.  Pour the beans into the maw.  Hit the switch. And....she hums....

Happened two days ago and I turned her upside down (no small feat;  she's not a lightweight), dumped everything out.  Started over and all was okay.

This morning....same story except she doesn't want to start even after I have turned her over and thumped her.

What do I do NOW????

I'm guessing it's time for a deep clean?
Have I ever done that?  Nope.
Am I going to hate it?

A A A K.

Susan
who was really really looking forward to a latte.....:-((((

BoldJava

Re: K-10 help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »
So, the K-10 is having a problem.
It simply won't....

What do I do NOW? ???

Sell it.

1st dibs.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 12:21:25 PM »
Un @$&?!#! Real!   :-X

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 12:26:04 PM »
Are you saying to won't start when you have beans in it?  Or that it won't start even when empty?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SJM

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 12:31:21 PM »
I checked over at H-B and it sounds as if I have a not uncommon issue with inadequate capacitors.
I will keep you posted.
I have emailed Compak.

Susan

SJM

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 12:55:58 PM »
Are you saying to won't start when you have beans in it?  Or that it won't start even when empty?

She started again after I dumped and thumped again and loosened the grind a full turn to the left.
Next I will take the bottom off and look at those capacitors I have read about.
But maybe not today.....

Phooey...

Susan

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »
Are they like Jaguars?

You should buy two..... ::)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

SJM

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 01:51:26 PM »
You know, I'd probably be okay with one of each....

Aromajunkie

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 03:31:38 PM »
Can you start it and then dump in the beans? At least until the cap situation is resolved.

Cammie

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 03:45:30 PM »
Susan, this has happened to me twice wih my K10 Fresh.  Both times with a lighter roasted dense peaberry.  I suspect the capacitor problem as well.  I unplugged the grinder, removed the hopper and took off/loosened all the easy to remove parts.  I then used the hand vac to vacuum out beans/grinds. It took about 3 minutes.  I put it all back and then there were no further problems. One day I'll check out the capacitor issue.  Until then, I will use my SJ for those light dense beans.

SJM

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 04:09:09 PM »
Tomorrow I will see if I can locate a Torx screw driver to remove the screws on the bottom of the K-10 so I can take a look at the capacitors that are there. 

I'm hoping that is the issue....or at least I think that's what I'm hoping.... :P

GC7

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 05:21:21 PM »
Hi Susan

The one time something like this happened to me was early on with my K10 when I dumped in a load of Grindz to try to clean out the grinder. I dumped out the pellets and set it to a much courser setting as you did and then just fed in the pellets a bit at a time as it was grinding. This seemed to work and I subsequently added coffee and slowly moved the setting finer to an espresso grind.

Subsequent use of Grindz was always at a course setting and I slowly added the pellets. I suspect you might have a very fine setting for the bean that caused this problem.

SJM

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 05:34:15 PM »
I suspect you might have a very fine setting for the bean that caused this problem.

If so I have a very expensive doorstop on my hands.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 07:11:47 PM »
It is blowing my mind!

Lee Morrison

SJM

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 07:18:18 PM »
Nah, John, don't fret.
Apparently a few years ago Compak shipped a batch of K-10s with faulty capacitors.  If I had bought mine new, I'm sure they would send me new capacitors.  Since I bought mine used, I may well have to replace them myself, but I'm not worried.  I'm sure that's what the issue is. 

It's not gonna be a deal breaker.

Susan