Author Topic: K-10 help needed  (Read 4730 times)

SJM

Re: K-10 help needed
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 11:27:55 AM »
I'm sure the MD-50 is relieved that it won't have to surrender it's post.

Yeah, the MD-50 is very happy being the French Press Grinder in the house.

Here's what it looks like underneath the K-10.  Now I have to send this picture to Josh as well....

SJM

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2014, 01:52:35 PM »
Well, that was not the answer.  It is not the capacitors or the lack of a relay or any of the suspects to date.
The new suspect is....maybe a loose connection....
We will see....

Josh at Compak is most helpful, by the way....Thank you Peter !!!

Susan

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 02:44:50 PM »
Wow that is a lot of capacitor!!
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 02:46:07 PM »
Yeah! Those will curl your hair for sure!
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

SJM

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 02:50:40 PM »
Yeah! Those will curl your hair for sure!

Fine. 
If I wanted a curling iron, I'd a bought a curling iron.....
 ;D

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 04:21:32 PM »
that's one heavy curling iron, but I'm sure you'd manage...

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 09:13:38 PM »
Which? Capacitors or curling irons?  ;)
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline az erik

• Standard User
  • Never enough time
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2014, 04:21:19 PM »
Susan, Josh is a great guy to talk to. I never did manage to get the bean chute for my k6 that's shattered into 12 pieces though... I digress

Are you getting a hum from the motor or just an electrical hum. Can you shoot a quick video?

If you feel daring.... :)  With the bottom off and beans out, lay it on the side with the on off switch up, pin the thing down with a foot or small child, then tap each connector with something wooden, like a popsicle stick. When you hit one that causes it to fire up unplug the k10, then unplug and replug the plug. Look for burns inside, that'll be the sparking of a loose connection. Also look for degraded metal, should be fairly shiny, and not look like aluminum that's been boiled. The caps could be a problem but they don't show bulging. Something tells me it's going to be up top where the problem is. If I remember mine right the switch should glow, orange. Does it flicker or go out when it won't run?

I never took my 10 apart so this is the first internals I've seen of it.
Home:
Huky500 & 15kBTU + Artisan
Vivaldi S1 V2
Compak K6 Pro / Doserless conversion
Office:
Areopress and Skerton keep me running

SJM

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2014, 05:05:09 PM »
The K-10 is upright and plugged in and behaving herself.
I'm gonna let her keep on doing that until she doesn't.
If/as/when that happens I will look further.

While she was sideways and I had all the connections available, I did give them all a firm push just in case something had jiggled loose.   Maybe something was just slightly disconnected.  Also I now have a wiring diagram so that I can double-check that everything is attached to what it is supposed to be attached to, but.....not until she misbehaves again.

My project list is too long right now for me to delve into her unless I truly have to....

Susan

SJM

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2014, 07:41:26 PM »
Well, I'm not actually requesting  help this time, but I thought I should report that the K-10 refused to grind again this morning.   I hit the switch and she hummed ....
That went until I realized she was quite serious in her refusal and then I started digging and dismantling.
I'm sure she'll work when I put her back together, but....this is annoying....(just annoying, not VERY annoying....)

Cammie

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2014, 08:20:30 PM »
Susan, did Josh give you any info regarding the cut-off dates for the underpowered versus correctly powered capacitors?  I'm assuming later manufactured K10s have the correct capacitors.  My K10 Fresh was manufactured February 2013. It stalled 2-3 times in the first few months of ownership  (I purchased it used about 7-8 months ago). I readjusted the grind and have not seen a reoccurrence but I'm also curious about the capacitor issue.

SJM

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2014, 08:42:49 PM »
Susan, did Josh give you any info regarding the cut-off dates for the underpowered versus correctly powered capacitors?  I'm assuming later manufactured K10s have the correct capacitors.  My K10 Fresh was manufactured February 2013. It stalled 2-3 times in the first few months of ownership  (I purchased it used about 7-8 months ago). I readjusted the grind and have not seen a reoccurrence but I'm also curious about the capacitor issue.

No, because we didn't discuss it in those terms.  I just kinda asked if my K-10 could be suffering from that problem, and he asked me for the capacitor specs.  I sent him the pictures you can see in a previous post in this thread, and he said they were not the capacitors that had been problematic.  From the links I read at H-B when I was researching this previously, it seemed like the capacitors that had been underpowered were definitely smaller and had smaller numbers on them than the ones in my K-10. 

This is the thread I started at H-B back then and there are a few links from it to everything else I thought I knew.....None of which seemed to be the source of my 'problem'....

Whatever goes haywire with mine seems to be intermittent....(I hate 'intermittent' because it makes diagnosis very difficult;  on the other hand it also means that it goes away for reasonable periods of time...).

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:27:07 PM by Joe »