Author Topic: megaROAST-CRC 20 lb. Capacity Roasting System?  (Read 2854 times)

milowebailey

Re: megaROAST-CRC 20 lb. Capacity Roasting System?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 04:30:46 PM »
There was a Japanese study (I've got it printed out around here somewhere...) that measured an array of coffee flavor components by GC-MS for a couple of origins with both traditional drum roasting and with IR heated drums.  The IR-roasted coffees were much higher in compound concentrations that we associate with "high-end spicy, floral aromatics" than the traditional roasted beans.   My experience has been that the IR panel makes the roast more like a TurboCrazy product - which is still my favorite for quality - but these days I need the quantity.  I just can't spend 12-15 minutes per pound to roast, and I'm tired of burning out convection ovens and stir crazies.   

I keep the IR on full bore throughout the roast, where I limit the grill burners.
Greg

Glad to see you back.  You and your chemistry knowledge has been missed!

Shoot me a PM next time you are heading to this side of the mountains.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 04:45:34 PM »
I searched high and low for an affordable grill that had an IR unit installed.  Most of them are kinda pricey, however, many of the add-ons cost more than grills that already have them.  But then - as often happens when something is 'meant to be' - I found this grill on clearance in November (2009?) for half off of the already deeply discounted price, so it was under $200 - right about $150 with tax if I remember right.  I have used and abused it, the knobs are stripped so I have to use a wrench to adjust the gas flow, but I've got it all down to the point now where I rarely need to use a temperature device to monitor the roast.    There are some super nice grills that are IR only, with IR burners on the bottom and the back, they don't have conventional gas burners, and maybe one day I'll find one of those at an affordable price.  The biggest advantage that they have is that they work even in moderately high winds...  But at this point I've got less than $400 in materials into the whole setup, plus a massive amount of time and effort, and I can bust out 12# batches about 20 minutes apart if I am working hard.  [That doesn't happen much... ;) ]   I don't even look at Diedrichs anymore, so Mrs. BW is happy and pleasant.   (But I would still jump at a Jabez Burns sample roaster if the price was right...)

When we made this most recent drum I had to cut a bit of the sheet metal on the sides of the grill so the rod would fit right, bringing the drum down a tad and back a bit to avoid the top/front of the cover...  The ancient RK 5#er that I had previously used had plenty of clearance.  I thought I had measured it all properly six ways til Sunday, but when I went to install it the lid wouldn't close.  Lesson here is to make a cardboard actual size model first if you are doing a custom size.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 05:03:11 PM »
Amazing, how much propane did it take to do 60 lbs? you made it sound easy.  You said your sacrificing quality for quantity,  the color looked right in the pocket. Would like to hear how it tastes after 3 or 4 days.  Anyhow fantastic job.
Rich

It IS easy.  A regular old 5 gallon propane tank gets me at least 20-25 roasts, more if I am working efficiently.  I couldn't really tell you exactly because when I get up to about 20 I swap tanks and they usually have a few pounds left in them (I just don't want to run out of gas with $30-$80 of precious beans in mid-roast).  I probably used about 1/4 of a tank today (or less).  Again, insulation is the critical factor to save propane and preheat quickly.  I have some stainless panels with ceramic insulation taped on with aluminum tape, that can be set over the vents and on top of the lid while I'm roasting.  It easily halves the amount of propane used, and allows the system to get hotter than necessary.  If you don't weld over or bend closed some of the vents, and/or use high-temp ceramic insulation, a grill will be very inefficient as a drum roaster.  My old roasting grill was insulated (by me) on the inside, but I accidentally discovered that removable insulation panels on the outside of the roaster give me much more control.  Right when 1C gets going I cut the gas to a flicker on the burners and I pull the top insulation panel (actual time depending on target roast level).  The roast kinda coasts along on it's own after that.  Quantity for quality - yeah, compared to SC/TO anyway - but still as good or better than a lot of commercial systems.   I'd put my beans up against any roaster in town...

Offline woodstock

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 06:16:12 PM »
Sounds like a nice setup!  I am curious about how you made the removable insulation panels. Pictures would be great if you have a chance.