Author Topic: Help me direct a friend in a purchase  (Read 3994 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Help me direct a friend in a purchase
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 06:43:57 AM »
I think the only thing wrong is the expectation.

Hey, I want a tool that drills, cuts, is a very accurate volt/amp meter and takes precise dry/wet bulb temps, has  laser level, and bottle opener on it. I'd like it to be under $20 and fit in my pocket.

Maybe it's better to say so (that the expectation isn't reasonable) than let the person think the crap they will end up with by cutting so many corners and taking every short cut is in any way representative of quality coffee preps.

They need to actually pick something and learn it. The idea of efficiently and inexpensively sourcing the do all magic bullet is a fantasy.

I vote just telling them the truth now instead of attempting to solve the unsolvable.

It's way cheaper and smaller to start with coffee.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BozemanEric

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 09:06:16 AM »
So what's wrong with Americanos for someone who wants to cheap out on a budget do-all super-auto, and appears to disdain the notion of crafting single cups in an artful way?
I just think the money would be better spent on a decent grinder and a good grip machine. At least then she can get one thing done right. This also might blossom her interest to the point where she is willing to invest the needed funds to make a decent espresso. I am a strong believer that it is better to be able to do one thing well then many things average, or poorly.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 11:25:50 PM »
I guess I'm odd man out, here. Americanos are my drink -- 2 ounces or so of water with a double shot.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 10:41:46 AM »
You're not alone here, Grinderz.  I drink mostly Americanos.  Home roasted, pulled on a HX small pro machine (Bunn ES-1A).  I also will occasionally order an Americano in a coffee shop that I feel might know what an Americano is, but no one can make one as good as I craft at home (IMHO).

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 10:56:36 AM »
I'm curious Dave, and Chris, and am in no way implying that you should/could be happier doing it "my" way...  are you enjoying mainly Americanos because you simply like using your espresso gear, and don't want to bother brewing regular coffee?  Or, do the resulting Americanos define what you prefer your coffee to be?  Lastly, have you made a great coffee, say a pourover or press pot at home, and that just can't compare to your Americano?

Again, not trying to imply anything, I'm just curious.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 11:05:34 AM »
No problem, Peter.  I own several French presses, moka pots, two magnificent Cory vac pots, and have played with pour-over 'toys' as well.  I find that my Americanos have a richness, and maybe what can be described as a 3-dimensional flavor profile, that I do not get in other prep methods.  That's not to say that I am dissatisfied with my other prep options.  I adore my Cory all-glass (gasket-less), WWII-era vac pot, and it makes stellar (IMHO) coffee.  If I prep for someone who likes some half/half in their coffee, the Americano seems to stand up better to the dairy.  I drink my Americanos straight, and occasionally with half/half. 

As a side note, my Americanos are VERY hot when 1st made, & I prefer to let it sit for a few minutes before I drink.  The flavor profile changes significantly with some beans as the cup cools.

My best,
David

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 11:12:40 AM »
ALSO... if the Americano is made from a good, thick espresso pull, there's a mouth feel & textural quality in the cup that might be unique.  Hard to describe, but the cup stays with ya for a while after the mug is empty.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 11:15:28 AM »
Good answer...  I will have to revisit this...  time for a new adventure!  If Tex was around, he'd tell me to junk my Vivaldi and buy a Bunn.   ;D  We miss the old boy.

Do you start with the hot water in your cup and then pull the shot on top of the water?  I've tried it both ways, but liked having a little crema sitting on top rather than adding the water to the espresso and mixing it all up.

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 11:24:59 AM »
I pull the shot into a shotglass first, pour into the mug, and then dispense the hot water... but not into the center of the mug.  If I direct it along the side, it fills & swirls the crema into the center of the cup.  If I do it right, I get a beautiful red/brown crema swirl floating on the top.

There's a reason I pull into the shot glass.  It gives me a chance to give a quick taste (ok... lick) of the shot after I pour it into the mug.  God-shots come along from time to time, and if I taste unusual sweetness, I'll forgo the hot water, and enjoy an exceptional shot on its own.  I am working with a batch of Indian Monsooned Malabar currently, and have been pleasantly surprised with some crazy-sweet shots. 

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 11:26:25 AM »
I shouldn't have implied that I ONLY drink espresso -- when away from home I'll almost always choose brewed coffee over espresso because the cup is usually better that way. At work I brew french press most of the time. For me I'd say I just really like a malty, nutty, chocolaty comfort espresso flavor profile most of the time (but not so much the 3rd wave espresso trend).

I suppose there is also the ritual of it all. Get up, turn on espresso machine and kettle, go get ready, come back, pull shot(s), clean up.

I usually make Long Blacks (or should that be Short Blacks?) instead of Americanos to answer your question, Peter. Usually with a little sploosh of half and half, too.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 09:58:38 PM »
Great thread hijack, gang!  ;D ;D ;D ;D  I'd now like to return to our originally scheduled program.  :P

After a good deal of conversation, We've eliminated the swiss army knife approach.  I've discovered that she want to spend as little as possible, and still get a quality espresso only machine ("I love doing my milk in the microwave").   Gentle steering away from the DeLonghi on sale at Macys, and I think she may get a Gaggia Classic.  They're on sale at WLL for $325, with a 1 year warranty.

We shall see what she does.....
LMWDP #440

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 10:25:08 PM »
b,b,b,but those hijacks were all for your benefit, that you might be able to best guide your friend.  :)

You know that
spend as little as possible, and still get a quality espresso only machine
don't belong in the same sentence.

Friends don't let friends buy cheap/useless espresso machines.  Sig-worthy, no?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2014, 04:43:05 AM »
change espresso machine to coffee steamer and you might be ok.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline sosha

• Standard User
Help me direct a friend in a purchase
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2014, 08:31:03 AM »
Well, I woke up this morning to a text from her: she ordered the. Gaggia classic with the MDF grinder.  I think she'll be happy.  Gonna order her sone Redbird, loan her my 58mm tamper, and away we go.

I'm gonna need advice from former classic owners ..
LMWDP #440

SJM

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2014, 09:48:28 AM »
I've got a Gaggia Classic with a PID, with a Silvia steam wand upgrade, and an OPV that has been properly adjusted to 9 bar that I will sell her for what WLL is asking an unmodified one.

Susan