Author Topic: Caramic Blankets  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
Caramic Blankets
« on: May 18, 2014, 03:56:36 AM »
Has anyone used ceramic blankets in their roaster?

What are the benefits?

Thanks

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

milowebailey

Re: Caramic Blankets
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:51:38 AM »
Some of the hottop users who roast in colder climates use them to stabilize their roaster, but I don't see the benefit for a commercial roaster, unless you are roasting outside in the winter.  But I'm willing to hear if there is a benefit.

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 04:46:45 PM »
My 1.5K roaster is an oven inside and outside.  Heat loss like a maniac...

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 06:35:40 AM »
I use a Kevlar welding blanket with my RK setup.  Works great. It has saved me a lot of gas. I makes a pretty noticeable difference. I think I got mine at Harbor Freight, but this one is very similar:

http://goo.gl/meEq0W

The blanket will put off some fumes the first few times you use it. The fumes are actually sorta pleasant and sweet smelling, but I doubt they should be inhaled, so use it outdoors at first. The fumes will will go away before to long.

GC7

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »
As Larry mentioned and probably of no use for commercial units but this is what I use to insulate my hot top and my espresso machine boiler as well.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9323k21/=s1wona

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 05:59:31 AM »

As Larry mentioned and probably of no use for commercial units but this is what I use to insulate my hot top and my espresso machine boiler as well.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9323k21/=s1wona

That is exactly what I bought a few years back and notice little to no difference.

My plans are to use ceramic instead of fiber glass. A 1/2" blanket will transfer heat at very low rate. The metal on the other side will be at 320F after a furnace has been running at 2400F for 24 hours.

I was very disappointed at the fiberglass that you and I bought. Mine was 1/4".

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »
The stuff to use is like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-Fiber-Insulation-Blanket-for-Wood-Stoves-or-Inserts-By-the-Foot-x-1-/271166851971  I actually got mine from McMaster-Carr long ago, but this is a better deal with similar properties.

Rated to 2400°, looks like fiberglass insulation (which is only rated to 1050-1200°) but it is made out of a much more heat resistant ceramic, rather than glass.  It still has many of the properties of fiberglass (flexible, compressible, little fibers will break off and are somewhat itchy), but the insulating power is considerably higher.   Cut pieces with a razor knife to fit the top and sides of your roaster, cut some sheet metal and bend it to make panels slightly larger than those dimensions, then tape the insulation onto the sheet metal with aluminum tape. Only takes a few minutes, and you wind up with custom panels that allow for quick placement and removal, and keep the insulation from getting messed up.  I used to just set the insulation over the top of my grill and set a couple of weights on it to keep it in place, but I kept getting fiber fragments all over everything, and the solution was the removable panels.  EDIT: the aluminum tape does lose it's stickiness over time and use, and needs to be replaced, pop rivets and washers are definitely the proper solution, I've been too lazy to do this so far, I just keep replacing the tape.

As has been said, not necessary (or even advisable) for commercial roasters, but for a BBQ roaster it is critical if you want to heat efficiently, save propane, and gain more control of your system.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:46:38 AM by ButtWhiskers »

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 05:54:56 PM »
Hey BW, great to see  you back!
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";