Author Topic: Variac with Kill A Watt help  (Read 1170 times)

GC7

Variac with Kill A Watt help
« on: May 20, 2014, 02:07:10 PM »
So in preparation for brown out lower summer voltages I got a really nice deal on a 15A GE variac. It works exactly as expected.

However, I am a bit stumped as to why my Kill A Watt when plugged into the output of the variac show as blank screen and does not function. The variac still works fine with the Kill A Watt in there but I have no idea of actual voltages. I plug my extension cord into the outlet which goes into the variac. I put the Kill A Watt into the other output outlet of the variac and plug the roaster into the Kill A Watt.

What's wrong? I feel like Susan  ;D

BoldJava

Re: Variac with Kill A Watt help
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 02:31:03 PM »
You might have your Variac set too low.  I had the same problem.

When Milo visited, he turned my variac up to 90% (I had been setting it in the low 80s).  My variac dial has a spot/marked stamped on at 85 which tells me that is the magic beginning point.

With your roaster OFF:
Plug your KAW into your variac
Set your dial at 90
Plug the roaster into the KAW
Plug the variac into your electrical source and adjust downward to get to around 119.5V.

Try it.

GC7

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 02:41:40 PM »
You might have your Variac set too low.  I had the same problem.

When Milo visited, he turned my variac up to 90% (I had been setting it in the low 80s).  My variac dial has a spot/marked stamped on at 85 which tells me that is the magic beginning point.

With your roaster OFF:
Plug your KAW into your variac
Set your dial at 90
Plug the roaster into the KAW
Plug the variac into your electrical source and adjust downward to get to around 119.5V.

Try it.
OK - I'm going to have to stop talking badly about Milo  :) He is a smart guy! Thanks that worked like a charm.

Got to love this place.

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »
OK - I'm going to have to stop talking badly about Milo  :) He is a gart smguy!

Oh, don't let this stop you.  Boy is fair game.