Author Topic: Sonofresco errors E4 & E5  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Smksignals

• Standard User
Sonofresco errors E4 & E5
« on: July 05, 2014, 11:08:01 PM »
Hi there. I am looking for some Sonofresco help.

I picked up a used Sonofresco 1lb natural gas model last weekend. I hooked it up in the garage and had 5 roasts. Each roast is getting to a rolling first crack at 5:00 minutes. I think this is probably to fast. I shut the gas switch off and let the roast cool down normally.

Today I wanted to see if the roaster needed a cleaning. I took the smoke box and sensor off. Took the upper stainless cover off and inspected the inside. It looked pretty good. I didnt touch anything inside. Put everything back together.

I had read in the Sonofresco tips and tricks thread that people were adjusting the gas regulator screw under the roaster a 1/4 turn counter clockwise and this was toning down the gas flow and extending their roasts a bit. So i went ahead and did this.

Tonight I went to roast and had problems with all 3 roasts -

#1 - Rolling crack started at 5 min in. Roaster went into an E4 error, Failure to achieve ignition later in the roast. Gas did not fire again. Natural gas line is hooked up so I am not running out of gas. Roast cooled normally.

#2 & #3 - I returned the gas flow regulator screw back to its original position. Rolling crack started at 5 min in. Roaster went into an E4 error but 4-5 seconds after the E4 error showed it went to a E5 error, temp to high, and shut the machine down.

The errors all popped up at the same time, a big time rolling 1st crack at almost exactly 5 minutes into the roast.

The only thing different tonight besides taking the roaster semi apart to inspect is I am roasting different beans than last weekend. Tonight I am roasting some Colombian and El Salvador beans. I have a feeling they are close to a year+ old. I bought these to learn on the Sonofresco and not waste expensive batches of greens.

I have cleaned the screen after each roast. I scotch brite the sensor carefully.  I have no idea why the roaster thinks I am running out of gas ??? I am guessing the E5 could be a sensor problem?

I am going to call Sonofresco during the week but thought I would reach out here beforehand.

Thanks in advance.
Kurt T.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

jspain

Re: Sonofresco errors E4 & E5
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 04:34:11 AM »
Kurt,

Sono has always been helpful when I've needed to call them. Your description of the problem only leaves me with guesses. Sono will give good direction when you call. The good news is the Sono is easy to work on. Good luck!

milowebailey

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:49:12 AM »
Looks Like a gas flow problem.  Maybe a dirty gas syetem.  Error codes are in the users manual.  I agree with Jim, call them.

http://www.sonofresco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/4046081.pdf
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 07:51:56 AM by milowebailey »

Offline Smksignals

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 08:13:54 PM »
Quick follow up.

Spoke to Sean at Sonofresco. He and Anna were a lot of help.

Sean said when E4 is followed by a quick E5 the roaster is getting too much gas. That made sense. The previous owner had 5/8's gas fittings on the roaster. I matched that up when I installed it the first time around.

I have since replaced the gas lines and fittings and returned back to 1/2 fittings. I also bought a new sensor. The old one did not throw any error codes but it was pretty black,

Roaster is rocking now. No errors. My batch size is 1lb 3oz. I am consistently reaching the start of 1C around 7:15-7:30 minutes into the roast. I am getting to 10 minutes with maybe a hint of 2C.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:18:12 PM by Smksignals »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

jspain

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 04:57:10 AM »
Good job! Sounds like you're in business! Have fun with "your" new roaster! I've always found Sono support to be very helpful!