Author Topic: Bodum bistro grinder can't grind my home roasted?  (Read 2257 times)

mcmasterp

Bodum bistro grinder can't grind my home roasted?
« on: July 18, 2014, 04:06:24 PM »
I got the bodum bistrohttp://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0043095WW. It has worked flawlessly on all the store bought coffee I have thrown at it. I just started roasting and it keeps jamming, mostly instantly. It only grinds for a second or two when I put Rwanda Karenge coffee villages in and it jams instantly on a batch of Sumatra Toba Batak peaberry. the Rwandan is FC+ the sumatra is C. I tried it on all different grind coarseness no luck. Blades seem like new on inspection.

Has anyone had the same issues? whats the best solution. I was considering getting a hand crank one and  putting the cordless drill to it.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Bodum bistro grinder can't grind my home roasted?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 02:36:01 AM »
I had something similar happen to me after I put a stone thru one of mine.  It damaged the gears and would just stop it when I added certain coffees.
There is no reason I can think of for this to be anything even close to normal for a grinder.

If it is new, get another new one it is defective, otherwise it might have some internal damage you were not aware of, there is a gear in them that can get torque / stripped out on a lot of the grinders.

Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is, turn it on first, have it running then add coffee  beans to it see if it can handle them that way or does it choke again.

Also, while I am sure you did this, just covering all bases,  make sure you are not feeding it a stone.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 04:37:54 AM »
... It has worked flawlessly on all the store bought coffee I have thrown at it. I just started roasting and it keeps jamming, mostly instantly. It only grinds for a second or two when I put Rwanda Karenge coffee villages in ...

Has anyone had the same issues? whats the best solution. I was considering getting a hand crank one and  putting the cordless drill to it.

I think it may be your roasts.  Are they too light?

When I first started roasting, my roasts were "too hot," and the outside of the bean appeared fine.  They would jam my grinder.  On inspection (and cupping, when they would grind), the insides were not developed and underroasted. Grassy taste in the cupping. They jammed the grinder.

I slowed down the heat application (as I learned the roaster) and the grind was fine.

What are you roasting on and what kind of heat application/roaster profile are you using?

fcar

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 09:49:16 AM »
Thank you for this tip.

mcmasterp

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 08:21:36 PM »
... It has worked flawlessly on all the store bought coffee I have thrown at it. I just started roasting and it keeps jamming, mostly instantly. It only grinds for a second or two when I put Rwanda Karenge coffee villages in ...

When I first started roasting, my roasts were "too hot," and the outside of the bean appeared fine.  They would jam my grinder.  On inspection (and cupping, when they would grind), the insides were not developed and underroasted. Grassy taste in the cupping. They jammed the grinder.

I slowed down the heat application (as I learned the roaster) and the grind was fine.

What are you roasting on and what kind of heat application/roaster profile are you using?

Hmm. this sounds like a possibility. I use a ronco rotisserie that i converted into a roaster. I was preheating the ronco but maybe I shouldn't have.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 09:02:27 PM »

Hmm. this sounds like a possibility. I use a ronco rotisserie that i converted into a roaster. I was preheating the ronco but maybe I shouldn't have.

My guess is preheating the ronco isn't your problem.  How long do your roasts take?  How much do you roast per batch?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

mcmasterp

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
My guess is preheating the ronco isn't your problem.  How long do your roasts take?  How much do you roast per batch?

Thanks so much for your help!

ive gone 14-17min. I usually roast 8oz. I was hoping to get a whole lb in the ronco. the tumbler I built could hold maybe 2lb and be 1/3 full. here's a link to a post about the roaster with pics and video http://paulscoffeeadventure.com/roasting-coffee-in-a-ronco-rotisserie/

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 09:50:41 PM »
I wouldn't go longer than that, but your times fall within general guidelines if you can get the Rwanda to FC+ in that timeframe.  City roast for a Sumatra is not a good idea, taste-wise.

Without being there, it's hard to say what's happening.  FC+ means you're at Full City + (just so we're using the same terms) and you'd be hearing the initial cracks or outliers of 2nd crack, or 2C.  If that is the case and you finished at 17min. the beans should be roasted through and through.

You might just have a lemon of a grinder.  Can you return it?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

mcmasterp

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 10:30:12 PM »
I wouldn't go longer than that, but your times fall within general guidelines if you can get the Rwanda to FC+ in that timeframe.  City roast for a Sumatra is not a good idea, taste-wise.

Without being there, it's hard to say what's happening.  FC+ means you're at Full City + (just so we're using the same terms) and you'd be hearing the initial cracks or outliers of 2nd crack, or 2C.  If that is the case and you finished at 17min. the beans should be roasted through and through.

You might just have a lemon of a grinder.  Can you return it?

hmmm. yes my goal is to just hear 2nd crack, that seemed like the best roast for a beginner with my tastes plus somewhat easy to hit. 

Unfortunately the grinder is almost 1yr old. It still churns through all the store bought beans we can throw at it. I inspected it closely for dulling or breakage, nothing.

Lol I was actually eying up a piece of wood and a hammer. desperation will get to you.