Author Topic: New 1 kg Roaster Alternative_Bullet R1  (Read 18752 times)

Offline whattodo

• Standard User
  • Coffee tastes & Taste in the mug
Re: New 1 kg Roaster Alternative
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 12:53:50 PM »
Quote from: whattodo link=topic=18929.msg305420#msg305420 date=
Bullet is about $1500, CRF-800 is about $4500.

Hmm ... in that case they are in 2 totally different classes. A small used commercial roaster could be had for around $5000 or thereabouts.

:o

Additionally, Bullet is 14 kg, CRF-800 is 45 kg.
Roaster: Quest M3/Bullet R1
Grinder: Two Sage Smart, Two Harios
Brewing: Brazen Plus, Thermos Nissan, Bodum Cold Brewer, Chemex 8 Cup, Yama Vacuum 8 Cup & 5 Cup, Vev Vigano Carioca Nero, Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Coffee Dripper, Aeropress, Saeco Espresso, Beko Turkish Coffee Brewer

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 03:56:09 PM »
Quote from: whattodo link=topic=18929.msg305432#msg305432 date=
Additionally, Bullet is 14 kg, CRF-800 is 45 kg.

Yeah ... definitely a different class here.

Sounds like the Bullet is more for the home roaster.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

mcmasterp

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 08:23:18 PM »
I'm thinking of preordering one. I tried downloading the pdf to do so but it was blank. I would love to be able to roast more beans evenly. I was even considering selling small amounts at our local farmers market. I wonder the bullet could handle it

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 08:30:35 PM »
I'm thinking of preordering one. I tried downloading the pdf to do so but it was blank. I would love to be able to roast more beans evenly. I was even considering selling small amounts at our local farmers market. I wonder the bullet could handle it

That's great.

Let us know how that works out for you.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline JojoS

• Standard User
  • Behmor/Eureka Mignon/Gaggia Classic
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 12:21:08 AM »
Small amounts like 3 Kg?

Offline whattodo

• Standard User
  • Coffee tastes & Taste in the mug
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 03:11:34 AM »
I'm thinking of preordering one. I tried downloading the pdf to do so but it was blank.

There should be ordering page. It looks shipping is free.
Roaster: Quest M3/Bullet R1
Grinder: Two Sage Smart, Two Harios
Brewing: Brazen Plus, Thermos Nissan, Bodum Cold Brewer, Chemex 8 Cup, Yama Vacuum 8 Cup & 5 Cup, Vev Vigano Carioca Nero, Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Coffee Dripper, Aeropress, Saeco Espresso, Beko Turkish Coffee Brewer

Offline 9Sbeans

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 07:23:30 PM »
We don’t know how fast it runs for back to back roasting.  If you want to sell small amounts, you have to consider your hourly wage, and your theoretical maximum daily income.    ;) 

mcmasterp

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 08:09:11 PM »
We don’t know how fast it runs for back to back roasting.  If you want to sell small amounts, you have to consider your hourly wage, and your theoretical maximum daily income.    ;) 
Yeah I've been working the numbers. I don't mind the hours at the market, it'll be the closest to time off from my other businesses I get but time roasting that could be avoided is another thing.

Offline 9Sbeans

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 09:14:37 PM »
It is a nice looking machine.  You may bring it to the farmer’s market and roast couple batches while waiting for customers.  This show piece should attract many people. 

However, if you buy decent green beans @ $6.5 per pound, with 15% weight loss, sell roasted @ $16 per pound, you will earn ~$15.5 per 1-kg load.  Besides, you will need a power generator.  It’s a big toy, a lot of fun, but not efficient.  I may get a TJ-067 (or some other bigger boys) at home to do the major roasting job, and show off the Aillio in the market as small batches demos.   :P

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 10:51:14 AM »
There is a separate forum on HRO for the Bullet:
http://www.homeroasters.org/php/forum/viewforum.php?forum_id=208
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »
Thank you for posting that link.

lp, 7-Ski

mcmasterp

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 12:08:44 PM »
From that forum:

To Whom it May Concern,

I noticed on the technical specs in your brochure that the "Daily Capacity" was 3 kg. That is only 3 full roasts per day. Why the limit on roasting more? Is that a mistake and you really mean "Hourly capacity?

Thanks,

Nate H

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Nate

The reason we write 3KG is because we don't want to advertise the roaster as a 24/7 continuous commercial machine. It was not designed like this.
You can of course roast as much as you like, but some components might have to be replaced pre-maturely. Drum motor, belt, and exhaust fan motor comes to mind.
Nothing is going to overheat or fail if you roast continuously though.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jonas Lillie

+886 970841470
www.aillio.com

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
  • Proud Member of the Wisconsin-Illinois Cabal
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 11:55:33 AM »

However, if you buy decent green beans @ $6.5 per pound, with 15% weight loss, sell roasted @ $16 per pound, you will earn ~$15.5 per 1-kg load.  Besides, you will need a power generator.  It’s a big toy, a lot of fun, but not efficient.  I may get a TJ-067 (or some other bigger boys) at home to do the major roasting job, and show off the Aillio in the market as small batches demos.   :P

That right there is pretty depressing :-D  Realistic, but depressing.

mcmasterp

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 01:40:21 PM »
Well it's not necessarily that depressing. The key would be to get some of the people who buy coffee from you to repurchase on a regular basis. If you sell 10 lbs of coffee at a farm market in 6 hours and 1 of those people order more from say your website etc. After one season you'll be selling 25 lb a week before even going to farmers market.

Time costs are the biggest deal. But for me the fun is always in having a hobby that generates money instead of costing it. I also build websites, 3d print, cnc mill so making this one profitable or even break even is great.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 02:38:11 PM »
But for me the fun is always in having a hobby that generates money instead of costing it. I also build websites, 3d print, cnc mill so making this one profitable or even break even is great.

I like the way you think.

;)
lp, 7-Ski