Author Topic: New 1 kg Roaster Alternative_Bullet R1  (Read 18755 times)

Offline whattodo

• Standard User
  • Coffee tastes & Taste in the mug
Re: New 1 kg Roaster Alternative
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 08:40:26 PM »
I have received answers against my questions from Aillio.

1. Why there is 3kg daily roasting limit? Is back to back roasting not allowed?

The reason we write 3KG is because we don't want to advertise the roaster as a 24/7 continuous commercial machine. It was not designed like this.
What I mean is that the drum motor, belt, and exhaust fan motor have a calculated lifespan, and might fail earlier than what we calculated.

You can of course roast as much as you like, nothing is going to overheat or fail if you roast continuously, and there are many safety features in place to help monitor the roaster.
With the Bullet you start roasting when you reach the desired drum temperature, and typically the drum temp will be higher at the end of the roast, so you will have to wait for it to come down a bit before starting your new batch. You can cool off the drum with the exhaust fan.

Another reason is you need to empty the chaff collector every 2-3 kg, so if you plan on roasting 10 kg / day its not designed to do this.

2. How do you handle smoke and chaff during roasting?

The back of the roaster contains a chaff collector with a filter.
The smoke exits the roaster from the back, and upwards, so you can place it under your kitchen smoke hood.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:43:15 PM by whattodo »
Roaster: Quest M3/Bullet R1
Grinder: Two Sage Smart, Two Harios
Brewing: Brazen Plus, Thermos Nissan, Bodum Cold Brewer, Chemex 8 Cup, Yama Vacuum 8 Cup & 5 Cup, Vev Vigano Carioca Nero, Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Coffee Dripper, Aeropress, Saeco Espresso, Beko Turkish Coffee Brewer

mcmasterp

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 12:07:08 PM »
2. How do you handle smoke and chaff during roasting?

The back of the roaster contains a chaff collector with a filter.
The smoke exits the roaster from the back, and upwards, so you can place it under your kitchen smoke hood.

So I don't have to roast in my exhausting roasting station in my dungeon(basement)? sounds good to me! Now I'm glad I insisted on having an outside exhausting stove vent instead of those bs recirculating jimjams

Offline whattodo

• Standard User
  • Coffee tastes & Taste in the mug
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 01:17:59 AM »
Roaster: Quest M3/Bullet R1
Grinder: Two Sage Smart, Two Harios
Brewing: Brazen Plus, Thermos Nissan, Bodum Cold Brewer, Chemex 8 Cup, Yama Vacuum 8 Cup & 5 Cup, Vev Vigano Carioca Nero, Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Coffee Dripper, Aeropress, Saeco Espresso, Beko Turkish Coffee Brewer

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 09:31:41 PM »
I can see a number of issues with the Aillio. Took too long to end of drying 150c, chaff collector too small, not enough heat capacity, air/heat adjustments?

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 09:36:27 PM »
Here's one for you, Rotate Fun 1200
Haven't seen one in person but follow the company.
They use an Archimedes screw inside the drum.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes%27_screw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6trTrur_LoQ
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:40:32 PM by hankua »

Offline 9Sbeans

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 01:08:27 PM »
Rotate Fun is very popular in Taiwan because it’s cheap, and a first time roaster can easily perceive the changes of sensory cues (color, smell, and sound).  However, I wouldn’t recommend it.

As can be seen in the video clip, there are always some beans exposed to the wide open, cooling.  I expect these beans will experience extreme hot->cold->hot temperature fluctuation.  In addition, this wide opening also renders the fan control ineffective.  IIRC, the stock design does not include the variable speed ventilation fan, and I have seen its users trying to install different types of fans or even cyclones.  However, even with the aid of a user-installed fan, the cold air will be directly brought into the chamber through the opening, no preheating route. 

IMO, the Rotate Fun cannot provide stable heat/fan adjustments, and a serious beginner will quickly outgrow it.   :)

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 01:36:49 PM »
Rotate Fun is very popular in Taiwan because it’s cheap, and a first time roaster can easily perceive the changes of sensory cues (color, smell, and sound).  However, I wouldn’t recommend it.

As can be seen in the video clip, there are always some beans exposed to the wide open, cooling. 
I was amazed when I saw that - WTF!!!
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline Javadive

• Standard User
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 06:20:44 PM »

As can be seen in the video clip, there are always some beans exposed to the wide open, cooling. 
I was amazed when I saw that - WTF!!!

Agree!!!
Never seen any thing like that

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 09:16:59 AM »
Cheap is good.

Exposed beans is not!

:o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline 9Sbeans

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 01:48:11 PM »
I would say that the Rotate Fun 300 still has its merit as an entry level roaster.   :P  When compared to a skillet pan on a stove-top, or a heat gun-dog bowl approach, Rotate Fun 300 can easily handle more beans and the drum does mix those beans well.  At its simplest configuration, including one thermometer, RF300 is about US$230.  At this price range, it is appealing even compared to a well-equipped popper.   

The bigger brother, RF1200 is much more expensive though.  Huky 500 is a strong contender at this price range and, IMHO, I don’t see RF1200 hold ground.  The skill set developed on a Huky might be still useful when upgrading to a bigger gas-drum roaster.  On the other hand, the air flow of the RF1200 could be so distinctive that its roasting characteristics won’t be easily transferable.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2015, 09:04:10 AM »
Next time in Taichung I'll stop by Rotate Fun and do a YouTube video.  8)

mcmasterp

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2015, 09:05:43 AM »
I'm trying to find a price on the rf1200

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 09:14:40 AM »
Here's another one. Had a plan on visiting this roaster, but it was too far out of town without transportation.

1-2-CH3-pro-5(第五代機)咖啡烘焙機 (1.2kg) 烘豆機

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=881RDjUrBPg&index=16&list=LLXeW6wZuLwP5cgp7UwZ_xPA

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 09:38:26 AM »
Try getting in contact with them on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/RotateFun300

Offline 9Sbeans

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2015, 03:13:11 PM »

Try these links:
http://clare365.myweb.hinet.net/untitled_8.htm
http://www.siangcyuan.com.tw/

It's NTD48000 on its website, about US$1600.   ::)