Author Topic: Fresh roasted coffee storage  (Read 1820 times)

Offline kevsnova

• Standard User
Fresh roasted coffee storage
« on: April 19, 2015, 05:01:24 AM »
 I have found a simple way to store my fresh roasted coffee, I used wire grommets and aquarium check valves, With mason jars. grommets and valves are very cheap on amazon, I find this setup works well. Thought I would share
Kevin

jspain

Re: Fresh roasted coffee storage
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 05:07:19 AM »
Nice job! Ingenious.....   8)

Offline CrabApples6

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 06:11:32 AM »
Great idea!

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 10:06:41 AM »
I wonder? the seal material on the lids dry out really fast, I usually replace with new after 3 or 4 times of use. I am thinking to install a one way valve like the ones used on coffee bags on the lids, also find some orderless non toxic gasket material for the lids so I can get a good seal and many uses out of the lid.  you got me thinking, Great idea.

Rich

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 12:06:33 PM »
sweet idea,  what size grommets?   I have done something similar with those pint / quart jars you get orange juice etc in.  Still seals and you can vac it out just if you drop it, they don't shatter.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Abqbomb

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 12:08:51 PM »
I like it! Thanks for the tip.
Chris

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 02:19:59 PM »
I wonder? the seal material on the lids dry out really fast, I usually replace with new after 3 or 4 times of use. I am thinking to install a one way valve like the ones used on coffee bags on the lids, also find some orderless non toxic gasket material for the lids so I can get a good seal and many uses out of the lid.  you got me thinking, Great idea.

Rich

I haven't found this to be the case. When I open mine I always have pressure inside the jar. If it is leaking, it isn't enough to matter. In the case of the one ways valve I just keep the lids a bit looser to work like a one way valve.

For vacuum storage, I can see where the lids need a better seal. I had some that did not stay under vacuum but they were in storage over a year.

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 03:03:48 PM »
Ok, I just made a one way valved lid, but used a ring of soft rubber tubing as the grommet (because I didn't have any real grommets).  By jamming the fairly hard plastic of the check valve into a hole drilled into the lid and compressing the tubing a bit, I think I have a good seal.  Certainly the amount of O2 getting back in the jar should be minimal given the positive pressure of the escaping CO2.  Also, the hole in the lid is sharp enough to really dig into the hard plastic.  It definitely doesn't want to come out without a fight. In the past I've just kept the lids loose as SYP suggests, but for camping/traveling, I like the idea of being able to make the lid secure.  Thanks kevsnova.
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline kevsnova

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 05:21:05 AM »
The grommets are 5mm and the hole I drilled in the tops  is 5/16th with a Brad point drill bit, It leaves a clean hole.
Kevin

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 10:03:18 AM »
the seal material on the lids dry out really fast, I usually replace with new after 3 or 4 times of use.
Dries out - really? I used to wind up with them getting oily (mostly from volatiles, not surface oil) rather than drying out back when I used to use jars.  I'd replace them because they would start to get stale odors after six months or so of repeated use.  Eventually I just went to being a bag-using-and-tossing environmental criminal.

duyster

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 10:11:42 PM »
awesome idea, thank you.