Author Topic: Removing Soot from Behmor  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
Removing Soot from Behmor
« on: October 07, 2015, 08:10:48 PM »
Used far too small an amount of beans, forgot that, then walked away thinking I had more time. A small fire ensued.

I don't think it looks too bad. I have plenty of Simple Green, but the soot is tough. What's the best thing to wipe it off? Something a bit aggressive, but not harmful. Maybe one of those metal mesh things for cleaning pans?

Thanks very much.

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
Re: Removing Soot from Behmor
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 09:06:42 PM »
TSP (basically Spic & Span or tri-sodium phosphate) is available at home repair  and hardware stores as a wallpaper paste remover/cleaner and works on all things coffee including soot if it isn't too bad. It does leave a residue, so rinse well. I use green Scotch Brite pads for abrasion.
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 05:03:02 AM »
Should I mix it with water or just use it as a powder?

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 07:28:20 AM »
I mix it pretty strong with water.  If you can let is soak or sit on the surface for a while, most gunk will come right off.
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 01:15:27 PM »
Alcohol works too, IPA does good.  Stay away from denatured, since you don't know what they used to poison it and don't want any toxic residues.  I don't worry too much about soot on the drum, it rolls off in a roast or two and doesn't really cause any huge issues.  Clean the cooked on stuff on the side with the thermocouple but my Behmor has quite the patina of past roasts gone bad :D

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 11:51:22 AM »
Don't have a Behmor, I wipe my roaster down every 3 or 4 roast with just soap and water not allowing any build up. Learned that a long time ago, I let it build up once and had to use oven cleaner to clean it up, what a mess. It only takes a few minuets to clean if you stay on top of it.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 09:04:42 PM »
I cleaned with Simple Green as best I could, especially near the thermocouple. Then did a couple of dry roasts.

Beans I roasted today (13 oz. on 1 lb. setting) and the beans came out much lighter than usual.
Guess more cleaning is needed.

Also, as soon as I plug it in, the roaster's cooling fan comes on.
If I start a roast cycle the fan stays on along with the heat elements.

How can I fix these issues?

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 11:34:03 PM »
Phosphoric acid works well and rinses clean. I would use a harsh steel wool if it is metal and you were worried. But phosphoric acid and or citric acid will work on anything you can submerge for 15 minutes or so that is metal. Cafiza and alike do the job as well. Stay away from anything oven cleaner related, as Aaron pointed out the fumes could be rough.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 11:34:58 PM »
I cleaned with Simple Green as best I could, especially near the thermocouple. Then did a couple of dry roasts.

Beans I roasted today (13 oz. on 1 lb. setting) and the beans came out much lighter than usual.
Guess more cleaning is needed.

Also, as soon as I plug it in, the roaster's cooling fan comes on.
If I start a roast cycle the fan stays on along with the heat elements.

How can I fix these issues?

Call Joe Behm and hope he can support his product?
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 04:08:33 AM »
Sounds like a control board issue with the Behmor.  From what I have heard it seems that's a common issue with them.  Depending on how old your machine is, they should sent you one for free, or if out of warranty I think they are only like 30 bucks or so.  Putting them in now can be an issue for some.  Not sure how their ship in to repair policy works.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 05:49:16 AM »
Control or circuit board? I have an upgraded control panel that I could install.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 01:36:33 PM »
I believe you open the side panel and there is a board in there,  NOT the pushbutton board up front.

Aaron

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
I roasted some beans today and all went normally. Maybe I should call Ghost Busters.