Author Topic: Salvatore Famosa Espresso Machine  (Read 4331 times)

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
Salvatore Famosa Espresso Machine
« on: November 06, 2015, 06:04:20 AM »
Anybody have any experience with a Salvatore Famosa machine? I've been to his website and looked around. Found one locally that I may go look at but wanted others input as well. I'm currently using a Kitchen Aid Proline with double boilers which is no longer available and limited parts.
Fiorenzato espresso, Ceado E6P v2 grinder, USRC 3kg roaster

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: Salvatore Famosa Espresso Machine
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 07:52:49 AM »
Anybody have any experience with a Salvatore Famosa machine? I've been to his website and looked around. Found one locally that I may go look at but wanted others input as well. I'm currently using a Kitchen Aid Proline with double boilers which is no longer available and limited parts.

Interesting Screen name and picture.

From what I understand they are E61 group but they lack gauges and even a water level indicator. Did you find one cheap?
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 08:20:57 AM »

From what I understand they are E61 group but they lack gauges and even a water level indicator. Did you find one cheap?
Yes, the one I'm looking at has no gauges and a heat exchanger rather than a boiler. It can either run off internal tank (no level indicator or be hard lined in. Guy said it was a mid 90's model and is asking $350.

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 08:54:37 AM »
Oh and about the interesting screen name and picture...I live in Alabama and the pic is one I adopted from my time across the pond last year. I can see where the combo of the name and pic might cause a little stir ;)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 09:11:32 AM »
Oh and about the interesting screen name and picture...I live in Alabama and the pic is one I adopted from my time across the pond last year. I can see where the combo of the name and pic might cause a little stir ;)

I have been "across the pond" a lot myself. Where was that picture taken?

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 09:15:08 AM »

Yes, the one I'm looking at has no gauges and a heat exchanger rather than a boiler. It can either run off internal tank (no level indicator or be hard lined in. Guy said it was a mid 90's model and is asking $350.

That's a good price for what it is. I have heard of them going as cheap as $300 on a garage sale but you will never regret an E61 for $350. You could possibly mod it with Guages and such. I would hard plumb it in myself but seeing as how that is an option I am assuming it's a vibe pump. 

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 09:17:32 AM »
If you get it and you don't like it. I would possibly trade a nice La Pavoni Europiccola Lever which cost me the same. I upgraded it to a one-hole steam tip too.

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 11:22:07 AM »

No idea where the pic was taken other than from the internet. I found it used it for a t-shirt design while in Kuwait.

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 11:44:45 AM »

That's a good price for what it is. I have heard of them going as cheap as $300 on a garage sale but you will never regret an E61 for $350. You could possibly mod it with Guages and such. I would hard plumb it in myself but seeing as how that is an option I am assuming it's a vibe pump.
Not sure if it has the E61 group or not, here is a picture of it. This would take a little getting used to with no knobs, only buttons/switches. Also, the extended warmup times over my current machine are longer.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 11:47:24 AM by Alaroast »

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 12:14:08 PM »
Ohh that's an old one I think. Salvatore is still around. They are actually in California. I would send them an email about that specific model number etc. I have a feeling it is not an e-61 based on what that group head looks like. It actually reminds me of the Olympia Maximatic group head which is plenty good. However I have heard that the porta filter for this model on the older ones is very difficult to source or impossible to find. Usually not a problem if you have one but definitely not ideal.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 12:16:14 PM »

No idea where the pic was taken other than from the internet. I found it used it for a t-shirt design while in Kuwait.

Been there a lot and got some free gas in Kuwait, quite a few times. There used to be a wild dog that would visit us on the tarmac in Kuwait when we would land there. Usually we would stay in UAE though.

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 07:12:37 AM »
The Salvatore is sold but not to me; I waited too long to pounce. Even though it was an older machine,  I think I would have gotten it had I gone and seen it and liked what I saw. From the threads I have read, they seem to be a solid machine. Will keep looking...

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 07:30:14 AM »
The Salvatore is sold but not to me; I waited too long to pounce. Even though it was an older machine,  I think I would have gotten it had I gone and seen it and liked what I saw. From the threads I have read, they seem to be a solid machine. Will keep looking...

Olympia and pasquini is a good one to look for. If you don't have a Gaggia classic yet you should ;)