Author Topic: West German Antique hand mill Grinders  (Read 9733 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: West German Antique hand mill Grinders
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2015, 06:43:23 AM »
Thanks Joe.

Will have to look for that one.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2015, 06:27:15 PM »
Okay, I am ready to go from Hario to a nice German grinder. Can you suggest where to begin? New or eBay?
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2015, 08:51:37 PM »
Just one data point but I've had several Hario Skertons and Minis, I found they did coarse grind at least as well if not much better than my late model Zass and a similar clone marked made in W Germany.  But the wood box is def sexier.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2015, 10:31:09 PM »
Okay, I am ready to go from Hario to a nice German grinder. Can you suggest where to begin? New or eBay?

PM fffolks first before you do anything. A real source of info we have there, he helped me fix one of my grinders that had missing clips. I have been really happy with the PeDe grinders and Lehnartz so far. The Lehnartz grind really easy.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
Re: re: West german Hand Mills
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2015, 08:05:13 AM »
Look what showed up at my door from the postman and fffolks! All I got to say is GCBC rocks with members like we have. I'm gonna grind some the Elida Natural catuai I already have roasted in this.

You did good, Joe! That Pede is beautiful!
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2015, 07:23:11 PM »
I did as Joe suggested and sent a PM to fffolks. He gave me some helpful information about the grinders and where to find info about cleaning and refurbishing them also. Now I am eagerly looking for a hand grinder to use on my freshly roasted coffee instead of the blade grinder that I am using now. And as a bonus, the grinders that I am looking at cost much less than the entry level electric grinders. Becoming a member here paid off already!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2015, 09:17:56 PM »
I did as Joe suggested and sent a PM to fffolks. He gave me some helpful information about the grinders and where to find info about cleaning and refurbishing them also. Now I am eagerly looking for a hand grinder to use on my freshly roasted coffee instead of the blade grinder that I am using now. And as a bonus, the grinders that I am looking at cost much less than the entry level electric grinders. Becoming a member here paid off already!

Wow, I am stoked.

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2016, 10:02:27 AM »
I just bought a PeDe #435. Here are some pics from the seller. I will post my experiences with this grinder later.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:09:50 AM by Ray Settanta »

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »
Another pic

Hmmmm. Can't seem to post another one.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:14:53 AM by Ray Settanta »

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2016, 01:26:55 PM »
Good choice Ray, I have had good luck with that model. Enjoy!
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2016, 03:49:36 PM »
Thanks!
Apparently, I forgot to delete my bid on another grinder that I was looking at. So now I will be receiving a Lehnartz also. I hope this doesn't turn into a collection.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2016, 04:33:56 PM »
Thanks!
Apparently, I forgot to delete my bid on another grinder that I was looking at. So now I will be receiving a Lehnartz also. I hope this doesn't turn into a collection.

It's ok they are all different and I am sure you can think of someone who needs a Burr Grinder. I gave out 3-4 of them for Christmas. I am back down to two. ;D

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2016, 08:59:53 PM »
Thanks!
Trust me, it can become a collection fast ... lol.
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2016, 09:52:37 AM »
Trust me, it can become a collection fast ... lol.

I am about half-way through the Hand (grinder) Jive thread on HB. Judging by your pics, i would definitely say that you have a collection. ;D

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2016, 12:24:20 PM »
The PeDe showed up today. Put some beans through it and it took 55 turns for 24 grams for a pour-over grind.  I didn't time it but it seemed to be fairly quick. Not strenuous either. I am retired so there is no rush to be out the door in the morning. The grind seemed to be very consistent. I don't have an espresso machine as yet so I don't know if this little grinder can be suitable; however, it seemed to grind very finely when I tried it and the burrs were not touching. I am very pleased with it. Thanks for the help in finding this.