Author Topic: Gene Cafe Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 28673 times)

Offline sosha

• Standard User
Re: Gene Cafe Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2013, 05:15:53 PM »
Sending an email to the dude now.....
LMWDP #440

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2013, 12:09:54 PM »
I think I remember there was a problem with an exit temperature sensor that goes bad, and keeps your Gene from reaching max temp.
Mine is now acting up, after the first roast, I struggle to get the temp on the Gene to 472*.  At about 460*, the heater begins to turn
on and off every 15-20 seconds as though it has reached the desired temp.  Good Luck.

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2013, 05:12:17 PM »
So I heard back:

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Gene Cafe. It sound like a heating element has failed. As of September 2013, for liability reasons, we are no longer allowed to resell internal roaster parts. All repairs on internal parts need to be performed by Batch Coffee technicians. Our flat charge to replace the heating element is $89.00 plus freight.

We would be happy to service your roaster if you ship it to the following address;

etc, etc.....

Grrrrrrrr.....decisions, decisions.  I've had the GC for almost a year, and have put less than 200 roasts through it.   Didn't expect to be putting another $100 into it this soon.
LMWDP #440

BoldJava

« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2013, 05:33:10 PM »
So I heard back:

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Gene Cafe. It sound like a heating element has failed. As of September 2013, for liability reasons, we are no longer allowed to resell internal roaster parts..

I will be opting out of the Gene based on this when my unit/s fail.  I will probably use one for a parts machine and keep one limping.

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »
So, where's a good place to buy a HT? :)

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk HD
LMWDP #440

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2013, 04:44:45 AM »
Ouch, very sad to hear about this.  Losing Tim Skaling as a resource and now the ability
to remedy our own Gene issues, well I am now going to be in search of new roaster as well.
The real shame of it is my Gene has started to act up (see above), so I will be keeping my fingers crossed
until something reasonable comes along.  Maybe a used Behmor until a more cost effective and practical
solution for roasting 1# loads.

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2013, 10:56:59 AM »
So, I didn't roast for a week, and ordered myself a HT.   Fired up the GC yesterday, because I needed to roast some JBM for a gift, and wouldn't you know it....476?  No problem!

Guess I've been pushing the little guy too hard.   Will clean out the chaff collector again, and try to keep it happy.

I've got a friend I loaned my Behmor to, who now want to try the GC.   He's doing pretty well without putting any money into a roaster.   ;D

LMWDP #440

Offline Kenny

• Standard User
« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2013, 07:40:16 AM »
That's 4" dryer duct, and it won't need a fan unless you have long runs, or a head wind.

I bought the 4" duct and it's kind of big.  I don't know if its because I have a newer model that I just bought recently or what but I think the 3" duct is the correct size.

BoldJava

« Reply #143 on: December 14, 2013, 07:48:41 AM »
3" is correct size.

BozemanEric

« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »
Here is a cheap and simple fix to get that 4" to work. I chose to go this option because I have 4" dryer hose laying around every job site. I can replace it frequently when it starts to stink.  I have noticed my Gene having trouble hitting certain temps at times. It just seems to be completely sporadic. I will do one roast, with stable voltage, and it will not ramp up at its normal speed. I will do a roast after that and everything will work as normal.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it does this.  Sometimes it is on the first roast of the session, sometimes it is on the third or fourth roast.  I did 14 roasts over the weekend and the Gene worked flawlessly. I am disappointed to hear about the issue with parts because I really love this roaster. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:38:32 PM by BozemanEric »

BoldJava

« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2013, 03:41:08 PM »
...I have noticed my Gene having trouble hitting certain temps at times. It just seems to be completely sporadic. I will do one roast, with stable voltage, and it will not ramp up at its normal speed....

As someone who vents outside, I often wonder if some of this is downdraft from the cold.  I see the greatest temp variation AFTER I turn the thermostat down 1 minute after start of 1C.  It could be the mere response of over-reacting to the turndown.

B|Java

BozemanEric

« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2013, 04:01:09 PM »
You might be onto something Dave. I have noticed this issue a lot less after we moved. I thought it was because I was maybe working off a direct electrical line but the vent window is also in a much more sheltered area than our previous home.

I always thought that the Gene would be a steppingstone in my progression through roasters. Since getting it I found no reason to upgrade. The day I do upgrade, I can guarantee it will to be to a roaster that vents at least as well as the Gene does. I can't believe I used to smoke up my kitchen the way I did.

BoldJava

« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2014, 06:40:18 AM »
I had a note from SweetMaria's indicating a price increase expected next week.  If you are going to buy, now is the time to pull the plug at $515.  Increases coming.

BozemanEric

« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2014, 02:07:24 PM »
I went to order a replacement and Sweet's Genes are at $585 now. Batch's are a well. In addition Batch raised the price on their refurb units $495. They were $400 last week and the front-runner for my roaster-down solution. I am not desperate enough to pull the Behmor down from the attic and start smoking the new house out. I found Genes at Roastmasters for $515 still.

BoldJava

« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2014, 03:00:55 PM »
The heater on my 2nd Gene is going.  Usual temps are more difficult to achieve and hold, even though I have lowered the roast to 200grams. Now using the temp settings that I use on the older model.

Asked my brother about aging heating elements and inefficiencies.  Does a heating element lose its efficiency?

"Yes, the older most elements become, the less they are able to inhibit the voltage that is provided.  Efficiency drops."  Ahah!  That is why my older one takes higher settings to achieve the same results.

Come quickly, USRC.