Author Topic: Gaggia Coffee  (Read 1743 times)

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
Gaggia Coffee
« on: October 08, 2008, 11:04:18 PM »
I have a shot at a "Gaggia Coffee" on Craigslist for $100.  The only info the seller provided is an Operating Instructions booklet.  I can't figure out how to attach the image file here or I would.  She doesn't know how old it is, but says it's in "good" condition.  It looks like its stainless, all the controls are on the front, including the steam knob.  Here is the wording on the first page of the manual:

COFFEE GAGGIA INTRODUCTiON
The COFFEE GASGIA? is designed to make the finest espresso coffee and cappuccino, True caf? results at home.
In addition it will boil water and create steam.
Espresso coffee is a typical Italian style coffee. A normal serving of espresso is approximately two ounces. Espresso is characterized by a rich, aromatic flavour and has a creamy foam on top. What kind of coffee should you use?
It is most important that the coffee be ground for espresso machines. Forthe best espresso coffee use espresso beans which are available in most speciality shops.
Cappuccino is a unique Italian beverage that is made by combining espresso coffee with steamed
milk.
On the following pages are detailed instructions that will allow you to operate your ?COFFEE
GAGGIA with excellent results.

Any thoughts on these machines in general?

Bob Feuker

BoldJava

Re: Gaggia Coffee
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 02:13:22 AM »
I assume it is this model.  Here are the specs off eBay, should someone be familiar with older Gaggias, manufactured in late 90s.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COFFEE-GAGGIA-ESPRESSO-MACHINE---BLACK_W0QQitemZ360095012119QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081005?IMSfp=TL081005108003r19769

Here are the CoffeeGeek reviews, a site I always begin on when looking at hardward

http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/gaggia_coffee

B|Java
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 02:29:11 AM by BoldJava »

thejavaman

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 04:33:32 AM »
I have a Gaggia Carezza, which is basically the same machine with a few minor differences.  I like my Carezza.  I've had it for damn near 3 years now and I still haven't got "upgraditis" with it (yet).  You can make good espresso with an entry level Gaggia espresso machine IF you have a good espresso grinder to pair it with.  The Gaggia Coffee has many of the features of higher priced machines like a chrome-plated brass, 58 mm portafilter and a commercial brew group.  For $100, I don't think you can go wrong and you should be happy with it.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 06:16:05 AM »
Arguably Gaggia is the recommended machine for the beginner that is modeled after the high end professional barista espresso bar machines with its high wattage output (good hot water ability), good steaming ability, and high quality parts (58 mm chrome plated brass).  If you do decide to go with this machine I will stress to get a good high quality used Italian grinder or you will loose sleep trying to replicate the crema that everyone goes on about (speaking from experience).  I didn't have much hair to pull out but had even less when I could not get the crema out of the Gaggia with a low quality grinder.  You should be able to pick one up a good used one on Flea Bay for about $200.00 and it will last you a life time with maybe a burr replacement at one point.

Now ... on a personal note ... my sister has a cheap Saeco with a pressurized portafilter that any espresso aficionado will tell you that is inferior in brewing method to the Gaggia however my wife and I always enjoy the taste of the coffee that comes out of my sister's machine especially when I bring over fresh roasted GCBC beans.  If fact my wife has asked me to get us a cheap Saeco as she likes the taste of the coffee it produces very much ... blasphemy ... we now own an Isomac Tea ll.  You could probably pick up one of these machines for about the same price however the steaming ability on this cannot touch the Gaggia.  If you do go this route a high quality grinder becomes less of an issue as the pressurized portafilter magically squeezes out the "crema".  Shhh ... don't bragg about this to an espresso aficionado as they will tell you it is fake "crema".

Hope I have given you some useful input and hope I have demonstrated you may take several paths.  Good luck with your quest and let us know what you decide to do.

Ciao

:)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 06:21:17 AM by mp »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 08:34:44 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I think I'll go have a look at it over the weekend.  Looks to me like an older model of the Coffee Gaggia that Coffee Geek reviewed.  I guess I'll be looking for a grinder next.
Bob Feuker

rpn

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 10:05:16 AM »
I'm a new owner of a lightly used Gaggia Evolution.  I got this for about $100 on eBay.  It is largely the same machine, but the Coffee is much better looking outside.

I'm getting by right now with a Baratza Maestro grinder.  Crema production is not the issue for me.  I find this has most to do with bean freshness and as a home roaster my beans are always fresh.  However, I am not able to choke the machine with the Maestro and on the finest setting it is rare that I can get an extraction to go more than 20 seconds.  I am regularly getting drinkable espresso, but only occasionally getting something better than OK.

Here's the new grinders on my short list of affordable quality:
Ascaso I-Mini
http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/ascaso/ascaso_i-mini.htm

Le'Lit PL53
http://www.1st-line.net/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=PL53110&type=store

I'm leaning towards the PL53 due to some suggestion on home-barista.com that it will hold less grounds in the chute.  However, both get great reviews from those who can't go Mazzer.  On eBay I haven't seen much of the commerical stuff go for less than $300 lately once you include shipping and then you are probably in for another $50 for new burrs + cleaning effort.  That said, there are "lightly used" Mazzers and others on there constantly.  If you've got the counter space (I don't), I'm sure it's a great way to go.

Have fun.

thejavaman

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 05:22:43 AM »

Ascaso I-Mini

Le'Lit PL53

Those are both good options for someone wanting an entry level espresso grinder without spending a fortune.  I always talk-up the Nemox Lux too because I've been very happy with mine.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 05:26:09 AM by thejavaman »

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 07:58:45 AM »

Ascaso I-Mini

Le'Lit PL53

Those are both good options for someone wanting an entry level espresso grinder without spending a fortune.  I always talk-up the Nemox Lux too because I've been very happy with mine.

I am in the market for a good grinder for drip and french press. Do you think this would do the trick? It will be mainly for a work setting. I looked at the pic and do not see that it has a doser, which I dont need. Possibly may be into the whole espresso thing later on...
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

thejavaman

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 08:06:46 AM »
I am in the market for a good grinder for drip and french press. Do you think this would do the trick? It will be mainly for a work setting. I looked at the pic and do not see that it has a doser, which I dont need. Possibly may be into the whole espresso thing later on...

Mike, if you are only going to be using the grinder for drip and/or french press preparations (not espresso), the lux would work, but there are other grinders out there that are cheaper and more convenient, IMO.  I've heard good things about the Saeco Titan & Capresso Infinity so you may want to check those out and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.  If a doser isn't important to you and you think you may get into espresso further down the line, the lux will suit your needs without breaking the bank.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:10:56 AM by thejavaman »

rpn

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 09:48:39 AM »

Ascaso I-Mini

Le'Lit PL53

From what I've read all 3 are good entry level espresso grinders.  I don't see why they wouldn't do fine for drip or press as well.  However, I don't own one yet myself.  I can say I picked a Baratza Maestro over the Capresso Infinity and it will remain my drip grinder after I finally get an espresso grinder.  I don't think there's a ton of difference in performance between Maestro and Infinity, but when I expressed some curiosity about the quality of finish on the top burr of my Maestro (email to Baratza support) I was immediately sent a new burr.  The new burr wasn't so much better (a little), but the customer service on a $90 product in an industry where $300 seems to be the norm was outstanding.