Author Topic: Gino Rossi RR45  (Read 11299 times)

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
Re: Gino Rossi RR45
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 02:06:11 PM »
OK.  Just got home today and spent a few hours cleaning up this grinder (I hope I can get the doser back together).  I'm having trouble getting the old burrs off.  Anybody know any tricks.  I'd sure hate to strip those screw heads.

BTW - Another newbie question.  The top and bottom burrs appear to be identical.  Is this right?  In otherords I can't put the tops on the bottoms.
Bob Feuker

milowebailey

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 02:22:19 PM »
OK.  Just got home today and spent a few hours cleaning up this grinder (I hope I can get the doser back together).  I'm having trouble getting the old burrs off.  Anybody know any tricks.  I'd sure hate to strip those screw heads.

BTW - Another newbie question.  The top and bottom burrs appear to be identical.  Is this right?  In otherords I can't put the tops on the bottoms.
I didn't have any problem getting mine off.  Make sure you have a good screwdriver of the right size.  You may want to tap the end of the screwdriver with a block of wood.  (tap, not pound) ;D

The burrs are the same.  No top or bottom.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 03:15:30 PM »
Leverage is your friend. Get a bigger screw driver, Even if you strip the top you can get screws for cheap.

Joe
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008, 06:40:18 AM »
I managed to remove the top burrs, but the bottom ones just won't budge.  Staying with Joe's theme - I just can't get enough leverage. 

The screw tops were a little stripped when I started and I'm just making them worse.  Is there a way to the bottom set of burrs off of the machine?  I've been wedging a screwdriver in there trying to keep the burr carrier still.  It works after a fashion, but I think I could get much better leverage on my workbench (ok, kitchen counter).  I took the bolt off the top of the carrier, but that didn't seem to be the answer.  I'm on my way to my local hardware store to see if he has some better tool for stripped/frozen screw removal.

Plan B.  If I can't manage to get them out, is there a problem with only replacing one set.  The ones in there really aren't bad.  Fact is, they didn't really NEED to be replaced.  I just thought it would be a good idea with a used grinder.  I know this is just putting the problem off for another day (or owner), but I've got a brand new Silvia and I really want to try it with this new grinder ARRGGGGH!
Bob Feuker

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2008, 08:37:26 AM »
One thing that's help me in the past to remove stubborn screws is to give the end of the screwdriver a few good whacks with a hammer before trying to turn the screws out. This helps break the breads loose and also seats the screwdriver into the head so you can get a better bite on it. You probably don't want to over do whacking, though, and to be safe you should wedge some bits of wood under the burr carrier to absorb the shock.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2008, 09:05:44 AM »
Yeah when I first got my Starbucks Mazzer the bottom Burr was really cemented on there as well. I remember really putting all of my weight on top of my screw driver and having something to hold it while I made the turns. They have some special tools to remove unstuck screws like reverse thread drill bits etc.. But just make sure any oils etc..are food safe no WD-40. You can't feel check the sharpness of your burrs so feeling them as sharp is useless.

Joe

edit: tapping the back of the screw driver with a hammer prior to a turn is a good Idea as Grinderz recommended, I wouldn't worry about messing it up, these things are really built to with stand a lot.

Another trick it to put some heat on the screw usually a propane torch works pretty good, just make sure it doesn't melt any plastic.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 09:21:34 AM by Joe »
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

milowebailey

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 09:33:41 AM »
On your rossi the bottom burrs are attached to the motor, so don't hammer too hard on your screwdriver.  The Motor will want to spin too which makes it even tougher.  You can remove the bottom 4 screws in the grinder housing and pull the motor out for better leverage.  It's a simple operation and not too difficult to put back in.  Once out you could put the motor in a vise with wood blocks and that would hold it steady.  If you can find one an impact screwdriver will work well.  As you strike the end with a hammer gears turn the tip.

I have one.... got it from Harbor Freight years ago.  Maybe you can find one at your local hardware store.

You can get a screwdriver tip socket and try a ratchet or breaker bar... the tough part about that too is holding the motor from turning.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 09:36:48 AM by milowebailey »

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2008, 10:23:39 AM »
Help!!!!!

This is turning into a nightmare.  I've decide to forgo the burr repalcement until next month when I will be visiting a handyman friend who has every tool known to man (including an impact screwdriver).

I was being so damn thorough in cleaning the doser that I went too far in taking it apart.  I unscrewed the nut that secures the bottom portion of the doser to the grinder body (the one that needs an allen wrench).  Before I knew it, more importantly before I saw the "before", the doser handle, a cam, and a washer, were on my kitchen table.  Thank goodness the spring stayed in place but I have no idea where it gets attached.  I am lost in trying to put this back togther. 

I have the diagrams that were on the esprossoparts website, but I'm not sure they show every part or if they show in the proper order.  I put it back together from what I thought I saw on the diagram, but in the end the shaft was not high enough to screw on the adjustment bolt or cap, and the whole bottom portion is unstable. 

Can any of you guys who have this machine tell me the order that I put the items back on the shaft?  Also I have one of the cams within the cifrcle at the end of the doser handle, is this right?  Looks like that pin (and spring) engages the cam ok.
Bob Feuker

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2008, 12:23:08 PM »
I ran into something like when putting mine back together. I had to push down and jiggle the shaft around from the top to get it to go down far enough to let me get all the bottom parts on. It was hanging up on something. Another thing that bit me was getting the two cogged wheels situated the right-side-up and also figuring out how to hook up the return spring on the dosing lever.

Let us know if you are still stuck.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

milowebailey

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2008, 03:22:44 PM »
Look at the photos from my cleanup job... maybe that will help.  I can also take more photos too if you like.

milowebailey

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2009, 08:50:16 AM »
I just found this publication on adjustments to the Rossi

There are a few good tips that would apply to all espresso grinders.