Author Topic: Brewers that operate at 195-205 F  (Read 22779 times)

Tex

Re: Brewers that operate at 195-205 F
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 08:09:08 AM »
They do make a thermal carafe version.... $70... although I have not tested the temperature of this one.... 8)

I wonder what the temp profile would be if Cook's Illustrated's suggestion to preheat the water to 100?F before pouring it into the brewer was followed?

In rereading the reviews I couldn't help noting that most of the brewers had the worst possible brewing conditions - too cold to start & too hot at the finish. I'm assuming that all of these brewers are using thermal blocks instead of real boilers?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 08:23:59 AM »
They do make a thermal carafe version.... $70... although I have not tested the temperature of this one.... 8)

This particular one seems to be factory refurbished.

"This product is Quality renewed* by Cuisinart, with a limited manufacturers warranty.
It comes with all parts, and instruction manuals and booklets the same as a brand new Coffee Maker.
*Quality refurbished: The product contains one or more refurbished parts that have been tested to meet specifications for new parts by Cuisinart."

Having said that ... well worth it instead of the $130.00 it goes for at other places.

This makes a strong case for the Zojirushi at Newegg for $90.00 delivered.
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 08:24:32 AM »
How about preheating the water to 204, swinging the basket door open, pouring the water over the grounds and letting it fall directly into a thermal carafe?

Hahahaha!  ;D ;D

Technivorm
Newco OCS

That might be it for machines that can do it without help/manipulation.

Running a blank 1/2 pot in the Cuisinart looks pretty close but the proper brew temp auto drip category has always been thin.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 08:28:39 AM »
How about preheating the water to 204, swinging the basket door open, pouring the water over the grounds and letting it fall directly into a thermal carafe?

Hahahaha!  ;D ;D

Laugh at me all you want :laughing4: because I've been known to do that with my Melitta Clarity after I lost my one-cup cone. It's just a cone coffee maker with it's own heat source.

BTW - Didn't the Clarity earn SCAA certs before it was dropped from Melitta's lineup?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:30:42 AM by Tex »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 08:38:10 AM »
Well ... if it all gets down for stretching you buck as far as it can be stretched then why not buy the Braun AromaDeluxe KF510 and use the Milo or Tex help technique.  For a bit of effort you can spend $40.00 and stretch it to perform like $140.00 OCS.

Not a bad trade off in my books.

:)

(A certain dollar stretch extraordinaire)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 09:41:47 AM »

- Cuisinart Brew Central DCC-1200 does not make it to 195? ($80)

Where do you read that in the article?  I think it says it can brew in the sweet spot... and my test data shows it can... once warmed up.

Cuisinart Brew Central DCC-1200....................which makes exceptional coffee and is one of the small number of home machines that can brew at the optimal temperature of 200 degrees Fahrenheit. The OCS-8 has a thermal carafe, which does a great job of preserving the temperature and flavor of brewed coffee

I'm not saying this is the best coffee maker out there, but certainly a good value if you don't mind running a pot of water through the machine when you first fire it up in the morning.... I will post plotted temp. data for 3 pots early next week using a thermocouple and the milowidget.

Milo ... I did not find anywhere where it said it can't ... however I did not find anywhere where it said it could.  I check the expanded article, then I checked the Cusinart site and finally I checked the owner's manual and found no mention of the brew temperature.  Now granted you could run a pot of hot water through the coffee maker and heat up the machine it may be capable but if we are talking a machine that would upon power up reach the sweet spot heating up cold water then this one falls short.  Unless I goofed and failed to dig up some information that clearly says it does reach the sweet spot.

Milo ... do you have this model?  Even if you don't ... I would be very interested in your data that you post.

:)

Yes I do have 3 of them (one I picked up at a thrift store for $10) and my data measurements show it does heat the water to 200 degrees.... once the plastic is up to temp, the water hitting the coffee is 200 degrees...

As I said I will make some plots of temp vs time of 3 consecutive brews..... and measure the brewtime.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 09:42:56 AM »
Well ... if it all gets down for stretching you buck as far as it can be stretched then why not buy the Braun AromaDeluxe KF510 and use the Milo or Tex help technique.  For a bit of effort you can spend $40.00 and stretch it to perform like $140.00 OCS.

Not a bad trade off in my books.

This not directed only at mp, but part of the thinking behind starting this thread was with the end user in mind, that being customers who ask what we recommend.  If that's the case, it has to be a "pour water in, put coffee in the basket, turn it on" kind of proposal.  Most people have not reached our level of geekiness, and most will not run a pot of water through first, use the machine as a glorified pour-over.  
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 09:50:09 AM »

If that's the case, it has to be a "pour water in, put coffee in the basket, turn it on" kind of proposal.  Most people have not reached our level of geekiness, and most will not run a pot of water through first, use the machine as a glorified pour-over.  

My question is have we verified that with:

Technivorm
Newco OCS

or are they similar to the Cuisinart where they eventually get the water to 200 degrees.  I know Bunns have a pre-heated water tank so they do start with hot water and most have metal filter baskets so they are hot too...

I'm a data kinda guy....

Tex

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 09:56:17 AM »
This not directed only at mp, but part of the thinking behind starting this thread was with the end user in mind, that being customers who ask what we recommend.  If that's the case, it has to be a "pour water in, put coffee in the basket, turn it on" kind of proposal.  Most people have not reached our level of geekiness, and most will not run a pot of water through first, use the machine as a glorified pour-over.  

I believe you're discounting the potential for geekiness of anyone who'd roast their own beans! I mean; I'm a bit slow, but I can pour coffee into a cone & chew gum at the same time.  8)

BTW: Anyone who'd think a Technivorm looks cool is by definition true geek material!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:58:29 AM by Tex »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 10:02:48 AM »

I believe you're discounting the potential for geekiness of anyone who'd roast their own beans! I mean; I'm a bit slow, but I can pour coffee into a cone & chew gum at the same time.  8)

BTW: Anyone who'd think a Technivorm looks cool is by definition true geek material!

That's my point exactly.  This thread should be split into two threads; one for the original intent of finding the best drib brewer for the average coffee drinker, and the other thread for us geeks that will mod something until it doesn't even resemble of coffee maker.

milowebailey

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2009, 10:24:25 AM »
]
.........finding the best drib brewer for the average coffee drinker,

Sir Peter

Is a "drib" brewer another brand name I've not heard of? ;D

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2009, 10:27:16 AM »
]
.........finding the best drib brewer for the average coffee drinker,

Sir Peter

Is a "drib" brewer another brand name I've not heard of? ;D

So now WHAT?  Jeff has a west coast office?  Sheeeeesh!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2009, 10:46:52 AM »
BTW - Didn't the Clarity earn SCAA certs before it was dropped from Melitta's lineup?

I don't know but I hated my Clarity from the time I got it, during all the mods I made to it, and eventually when I tossed it in the trash. I never found it to be a good machine even as many people were loving it. At that time half were going to the Clarity and half were going Presto Scandinavia and I always felt like I went the wrong way (for my taste anyhow).  :-\  I could have got an unlucky draw or something on that exact unit but that machine just never did it for me.

Laugh at me all you want :laughing4: because I've been known to do that with my Melitta Clarity after I lost my one-cup cone. It's just a cone coffee maker with it's own heat source.

No laughing from me I agree 100%. I just take it further to say most auto drips are of little to no use for me because of it.

Note - I see this thread has been locked and I know Joe will try to blame me......but I didn't do it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:36:46 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Pyment

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2009, 12:53:50 PM »
This thread allows no modifications to the brewer itself.

I emailed Zojurishi and asked about temps and times. Here is my answer:
Thank you for your inquiry.

For the EC-BD15 Thermal carafe coffee maker, the coffee brews at 205 F and
stays between 185 F - 194 F inside the carafe. After 10 hours the
temperature drops to 144F. When brewing a full 10 cups of coffee inside our
coffee maker, it takes about 7-9 minutes. I hope this information helps. If
you need further assistance, feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,
Mai Tran
Customer Service

Emailing customer service will do a few things A) we can get the information we need and B) we can let the companies know there are consumers out there looking at this.

FWIW Here Is what I sent them
Ideally brewing temp should be 195F to 205F and the total brewing time
should be under 6-7 minutes. What is the performance of your brewer?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 05:00:07 PM by Pyment »

Pyment

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2009, 05:01:34 PM »
Those who had trouble posting on this thread, I am sorry. Somehow it got locked (before peter could twist the knife). It should be better now.

BTW, I'm really not sorry peter couldn't post. I have to be honest.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 05:04:24 PM by Pyment »