Author Topic: The Carezza compendium  (Read 11453 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
The Carezza compendium
« on: March 18, 2009, 01:42:03 PM »
This will be a progress in work for a while.

I intend to make a comprehensive thread about the Carezza and for now it's going to be a mess of various information scattered about. My thought is to eventually migrate everything important to the first two posts with discussion thereafter.

I will block the next post as well and think that will be enough space for the vitals.

The Carezza sports:

58mm group head
3.4 oz boiler    
Heating system    Boiler Uni4514
Water tank    Removable / plus flip top spy compartment fill option for sneak water fills.
Water tank capacity    1,25 lt.
Water pump pressure    15 bar
Steam wand    Pannarello
Group and Filter holder    Chromed brass
Dimensions cm. (LxHxD)    27x37x23,5
Weight    4.9 kg
Bodywork    ABS

Steam test #1
I realized after 5 seconds that the amount I open the valve would seriously skew the results.  :-\
Start 8oz of water at 33 degrees F
at 1:00 the temp was 95
at 2:00 temp 150
at 3:00 temp 190 and about done, terminated test.

Realistic milk tests to follow but the above is a good bench test of extremes from freezing 33f to fizzle out at 190f 3:00.   

The CG first look
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:41:53 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: The Carezza compendium
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 01:50:19 PM »
In the future I will see about charting temps with a Scace and go over each section of the machines performance.

My immediate focus that started this idea was on our discussion of microfoam with the Carezza

My initial tests after consulting with Staylor, searching various prior works on it, some water tests and a couple milk tests have me more hopeful than I have ever been with the carezza's  ability to produce good quality microfoam that will be capable of art....we shall see.

Something that helped a lot from my previous trips down this road was relocating the o-ring in the wand...see the picture for an option to defeat the air intake of the turbo frother.

Also attached a couple of pics under the hood.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 05:42:40 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 02:32:48 PM »
John,
Once you verify what a stock Gaggia can do (they're all the same), take a look at what a PID'd Gaggia can do. This information is provided solely as a basis for comparison of stock & modded Gaggia espresso machines.

Here's a study that Jim Gallt did of the intra-shot temp stability of a PID'd Gaggia Coffee:

3 shots individually charted;

3-shot average;

Typical Gaggia boiler cycles;

Here's a video of the steam capacity of a PID'd Gaggia Carezza;
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFsWafUUINs[/youtube]

Here's another video showing the steam capacity of a PID'd
Gaggia Baby, this time with a Rancilio Silvia steam wand mod.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5VxU5FNCIc[/youtube]

Here's a video of a PID'd Gaggia Baby pulling a double in 30 seconds;
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv6-QmaeGG8[/youtube]

Stock Gaggia's are very good home espresso machines. PID'd & tuned, they make superior home espresso machines.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:37:56 PM by Tex »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 03:01:29 PM »
Great additions to the compendium!!  8)

The vid is a fantastic visual of what happens when the turbo wand is introducing air via the intake... :o
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 03:04:13 PM by John F »

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 03:30:39 PM »
Though the image showing intra-shot avg for three shots is interesting and there's tons of manufacturers and users that debate a correct ramp up and down, which is a whole different subject, I don't see the value in showing the image. Rather, what would be relevant is presenting an image that shows pulling repeated espresso shots and displaying the path of each shot and thus demonstrating real-world repeatability.

Averages don't matter in espresso, each shot matters.

Edit:

I see you've added a three shot tracking, not too bad for two of the shots but that third shot would have been a disaster.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:58:14 AM by staylor »

Tex

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 03:39:53 PM »
Though the image showing intra-shot avg for three shots is interesting and there's tons of manufacturers and users that debate a correct ramp up and down, which is a whole different subject, I don't see the value in showing the image. Rather, what would be relevant is presenting an image that shows pulling repeated espresso shots and displaying the path of each shot and thus demonstrating real-world repeatability.

Averages don't matter in espresso, each shot matters.

Inter-shot temp stability is another story and I didn't post that information because pulling repeat shots with a Gaggia Carezza is not what this machines is all about. They're made for the user who pulls an occasional shot and needs to steam milk for one or two drinks at a time.

Try to pull shots too close together and you might even get a portafilter sneeze. Give a Gaggia Carezza time to reestablish temp stability before pulling another shot and it does its job nicely, even in stock form.

If you need to pull drinks more frequently, say to entertain guests, I'd suggest a Gaggia Classic or Rancilio Silvia, both equipped with 3-way valves. Or maybe moving up to a prosumer HX or double boiler machine.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:35:45 PM by Tex »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 03:52:53 PM »
That's it. I've been waiting to make the jump into espresso. I've heard a lot of good things about the Carezza and the price is affordable. I think it will make a nice starter machine. I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for a used Carezza.

Tex

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 04:03:16 PM »
That's it. I've been waiting to make the jump into espresso. I've heard a lot of good things about the Carezza and the price is affordable. I think it will make a nice starter machine. I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for a used Carezza.

Most Gaggia models are built around the same parts; boiler, group, heating elements, pump, etc. There are machines (Classic & Baby) with 3-way valves, but these do not affect the quality of the shot. Some machines have adjustable OPV's and these do affect shot quality by regulating the brewing pressure.

As you shop for a Gaggia, the Carezza is mechanically identical to the old-style Espresso, Evolution, & Coffee. Stay away from the new-model Espresso (Pure, Color, & Dose) with the s/s boilers. The models with s/s boilers are proving to be inferior to the older models with aluminum/brass boilers.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:34:45 PM by Tex »

yorel23

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 04:38:43 PM »
Watching this thread with great interest as my Carezza should arrive tomorrow or Friday!!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 05:37:50 PM by yorel23 »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 06:42:14 PM »
First update on steam:

The vid Tex posted prompted me to do a similar test. I was looking for microfoam capabilities not overall steaming power because I know the Carezza has sufficient steam for one drink and everything I test will be based on one drink per session (except temp testing to check lag times between sessions for proper temps).

Placing the o-ring where they want it I plunged the wand into a clear glass of water and got the same thing the vid shows. A constant introduction of big air. Over the years I have wrestled several attempts at managing that air intake from wrapping it in saran wrap to surfing it at the milk level....mixed results.

I moved the o-ring to the position in the second post and re-tested. Upon initial opening of the steam there is a tiny burst of small bubbles followed by.......swirling action with no air introduction.

I am not sure why I never thought to do something as simple as looking directly into a clear glass even though I have steamed several pitchers of water to test swirling patterns. Anyhow it's a significant improvement (towards control) for 10 seconds of your time. Anybody that has this style turbo frother should grab a clear glass with water test both o-ring positions and decide what to do.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:13:18 PM by John F »

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 09:22:13 PM »
Haha, I knew it. John I would have put a $1 on it that my rambling theory this morning was correct. I bet with some crema and a gallon of Whole you can pound off some latte art in short order based on the microfoam technique from this morning.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Haha, I knew it. John I would have put a $1 on it that my rambling theory this morning was correct. I bet with some crema and a gallon of Whole you can pound off some latte art in short order based on the microfoam technique from this morning.

Quantum leap in one day for sure.

Your pointers were key and I will have follow up questions tomorrow.  ;D

I had just enough coffee to pull one shot this evening and it was by far my best attempt at art to date. I realize based on what I see now that it's only learning curve standing between me and art now.

I remember reading a long time ago that people were pouring art with Gaggia machines so I've always known it was possible I just thought it was really hard and I kept avoiding it because, well..you know why..I didn't want to have to do it once I decided I "had" to do it.  ;D

What I poured today was honest to goodness microfoam but it needs some work. I need to get it a lot tighter but it was a serious improvement and it's only a matter of time now.  ;) 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:00:42 PM by John F »

Lee Morrison

thejavaman

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 04:33:38 AM »
I moved the o-ring to the position in the second post and re-tested. Upon initial opening of the steam there is a tiny burst of small bubbles followed by.......swirling action with no air introduction.

I'm confused.  ;)  So someone would need to manually move the o-ring to this spot?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 05:45:31 AM »
I remember reading a long time ago that people were pouring art with Gaggia machines so I've always known it was possible I just thought it was really hard and I kept avoiding it because, well..you know why..I didn't want to have to do it once I decided I "had" to do it.  ;D

What I poured today was honest to goodness microfoam but it needs some work. I need to get it a lot tighter but it was a serious improvement and it's only a matter of time now.  ;) 

Way to go John ... enjoy!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 06:32:19 AM »
So someone would need to manually move the o-ring to this spot?

Yes.

Remove the sleeve and slide the o-ring to this placement...

Lee Morrison