Author Topic: Mastering the Moka  (Read 4395 times)

BoldJava

Re: Mastering the Moka
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 09:19:38 AM »
Old thread, new pot.  I have been unable to use it until today. No longer a virgin. It came via orphan espresso
It is from the Italian Stella Collection, the Archimede. 7.5" tall. Makes about 4 oz of very good coffee, similar to any Bialetti.  Enjoying a Sulawesi Toraja in it this morning, to soon be chased by a Hawaiian Pulp Natural.  With heavy cream.

B|Java

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:24:02 PM by Joe »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 10:05:19 AM »
It looks like that pawn is standing awfully close to that queen.  :-X
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 10:19:50 AM »
It looks like that pawn is standing awfully close to that queen.  :-X

He is about to put the moves on her.  King will be caught with his pants down.  Checkmate.

B|Java

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 10:40:28 AM »
That's the best looking moka pot I've ever laid yes on. The tamper ain't too shabby either ;)

BoldJava

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 10:50:07 AM »
That's the best looking moka pot I've ever laid yes on. The tamper ain't too shabby either ;)

It is h-e-a-v-y.  It weighs almost 1.5#s.  The tamper is olive wood from Bethlehem from member Les at http://thortamper.com.

I take the grind to a  4.0 on this relative scale, with a 'palm' tamp.  2.1 espresso, 4.8 vacpot, 5.4 pourover.  Lush, rich coffee, moving toward an espresso.  Syrupy but with cream, heavenly.  Nursing the Hawaiian pulp natural now.

B|Java
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:52:21 AM by BoldJava »

Tex

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 11:00:50 AM »

It is h-e-a-v-y.  It weighs almost 1.5#s.  The tamper is olive wood from Bethlehem from member Les at http://thortamper.com.

I take the grind to a  4.0 on this relative scale, with a 'palm' tamp.  2.1 espresso, 4.8 vacpot, 5.4 pourover.  Lush, rich coffee, moving toward an espresso.  Syrupy but with cream, heavenly.  Nursing the Hawaiian pulp natural now.

B|Java

I use my moka pot (s/s Bialetti Venus) for café au lait, New Orleans style; 2/3 coffee & 1/3 chicory, with the resulting liquid mixed 1/2 & 1/2 with scalded milk. That's my usual accompaniment to reading the Sunday Houston Chronicle, with a cruller or beignet to munch on.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 03:07:07 PM »
King will be caught with his pants down.  Checkmate.

Right....sometimes it's not so good to be the king.  :help:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 03:10:38 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 12:19:12 PM »
King will be caught with his pants down.  Checkmate.

Right....sometimes it's not so good to be the king.  :help:

Ever play gorilla chess?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 12:28:07 PM »

Ever play gorilla chess?

Can't say that I have.

All I've ever played is plain old vanilla chess but I try not to play very often.

Chess and Tequila in anything over small doses makes me feel violent.  :-X

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 12:33:54 PM »

Ever play gorilla chess?

Can't say that I have.

All I've ever played is plain old vanilla chess but I try not to play very often.

Chess and Tequila in anything over small doses makes me feel violent.  :-X

Yep, that's gorilla chess! Great game but rough on friendships.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 12:37:54 PM »
Yep, that's gorilla chess!

For real?

I've seriously never played it....if there is a real drinking game of chess and tequila it's pretty effing good I never knew about it from 18-30 years old.  :o

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 01:04:57 PM »
Yep, that's gorilla chess!

For real?

I've seriously never played it....if there is a real drinking game of chess and tequila it's pretty effing good I never knew about it from 18-30 years old.  :o

It's the ol' gorilla checkers game with clear & dark tequila; with larger glasses denoting the importance of the pieces. Don't ask me how to play it - I never got beyond six moves!