Author Topic: Reneka Grinder, a good deal?  (Read 1334 times)

hatethis

Reneka Grinder, a good deal?
« on: May 10, 2009, 06:00:46 AM »
I was perusing the resale shop that is for businesses that closed down and found a Reneka grinder.  It appears to have been treated good, just used often.  Of course the resale shop doesn't know anything about it, just what they sell for brand new here.  Brand new in Japan it sells for $1200 supposedly and they are selling this one for $250.  Below are a couple pictures, if it is a good deal in fact, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know ASAP! 

Also, if there are any known problems with this model please feel free to mention.

Tex

Re: Reneka Grinder, a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 07:37:58 AM »
It's a Rossi/Rosita Bisani RR-45.  I'd offer $175, but at $250 it's a good buy - but figure you'll probably need new burs too (~$50).

hatethis

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 08:13:38 AM »
There is a little number on the side that looks like a small odometer, is that what it is?  What is its function?  It says 5891 if that helps any. 

Is there a good way to tell if it needs new burrs?  Bear in mind it will be an accomplishment to get them to let me do anything besides turn it on. (Japanese way, they will NOT sell you something that does not work. the exact condition is another story)

Stubbie

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 09:16:47 AM »
That odometer is how many times the doser lever has been pulled...

I agree with Tex, when I first saw this, I assumed it was a Rossi re-badged.  Folks seem to like them.

-Stubbie

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 09:23:24 AM »
IMHO you can't go wrong with an Italian grinder at that price.  Having said that see if you can get them to knock off 100 bucks or so.  Even if you do have to spend around 50 bucks for the burrs you will have yourself a great espresso grinder for peanuts.

Enjoy!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 09:56:54 AM »
Checking burrs: Unscrew the upper burr carrier & drag your thumbnail over the machined burrs. If the burr digs into your nail they're OK.

hatethis

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 10:06:03 AM »
Thanks for the picture and way to figure out Tex.  I was reading a few sites and all they could tell me was *if you cut yourself its good*.

Tex

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 10:16:22 AM »
Thanks for the picture and way to figure out Tex.  I was reading a few sites and all they could tell me was *if you cut yourself its good*.

It might be fun watching these folks determine if a pistol is any good?