Author Topic: Kegoroaster??????????  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: Kegoroaster??????????
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 08:19:29 AM »

So you didn't answer my question were you once or are you currently in a mechanical field of employment?

I am a low voltage electrician (phone data fiber optics) and I have been dissembling and reassembling things most of my life.

Interesting, I was a fiber optic tech for 3-4 years after the military. I mainly spliced and tested big count fiber, but I also played major roles in testing and turn up of VDSL in Phoenix. Plenum is a word that only mechanics use, mainly Aerospace mechanics so I was hoping to catch you in shop talk.

Joe
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 03:24:32 PM »

Interesting, I was a fiber optic tech for 3-4 years after the military. I mainly spliced and tested big count fiber, but I also played major roles in testing and turn up of VDSL in Phoenix. Plenum is a word that only mechanics use, mainly Aerospace mechanics so I was hoping to catch you in shop talk.

Joe

Plenum as I know is the space between the return duct and the blower in a HVAC system so that is the space between the colander and the blower intake in this case.   I envy you all that fiber work.. as I get older and slower I miss the comfortable although tedious routine of polishing fiber.. Alas I suspect I will miss any voice data work I do not get in the next year or two as our economy re-invents its self... Want to buy any pottery or fresh roasted coffee?!?!?!   ::)

Back on topic... kegoroaster?!?! still on hold or did we get the plastic off the roasting drum ??   :)

doveguy1

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 07:25:44 PM »
I went out and looked at it yesterday ad tried to pull it off, got after it with a wood chisel, and gave up for now. I am thinking to cut it off with a saw and then sand it off,  maybe sand blasting it? any ideas?

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 05:20:33 PM »
I went out and looked at it yesterday ad tried to pull it off, got after it with a wood chisel, and gave up for now. I am thinking to cut it off with a saw and then sand it off,  maybe sand blasting it? any ideas?

I keep forgetting to ask my brother if he still has my old brewing stuff.... I think I had one of those cans that is plastic free ?? and one or two more that look like your..

opus

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 05:32:08 PM »
Probat uses solid cast Iron drums, I would try to do as much as possible what Probat does. I am waiting for someone who is converting from skillet roasting to glue a bunch of Iron skillets together for a BBQ drum.

I am thinking about this.  I currently roast 1# at a time with a skillet.  Dont really need to go for more, except days like today.  I did 3# and was bored with stirring after a while.  :)  I am thinking well casing.  Then for heat I am thinking turkey fryer burner thingy, which I use now.  Depends on the length of the casing.  I would think by preheating it and not having perforations.......and some way to spin the thing.  Just thinking out loud here.

Also been playing with the idea of taking a big disk [read farm implement disk, about 20" diameter] and welding 4" sides on it and using it as a big 'wok' type deal.

Any thoughts?

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 07:09:07 AM »
Think that this would help

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brevel-Model-703-Small-Reduction-Gear-Motor-NEW_W0QQitemZ110302457498QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

The speed may be a little slow.. most of what I have been reading says 60 rpm is better, and I think it would push a pound or two of beans but ?? the kegoroaster may be a little big??

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 07:16:31 AM »
Probat uses solid cast Iron drums, I would try to do as much as possible what Probat does. I am waiting for someone who is converting from skillet roasting to glue a bunch of Iron skillets together for a BBQ drum.

I am thinking about this.  I currently roast 1# at a time with a skillet.  Dont really need to go for more, except days like today.  I did 3# and was bored with stirring after a while.  :)  I am thinking well casing.  Then for heat I am thinking turkey fryer burner thingy, which I use now.  Depends on the length of the casing.  I would think by preheating it and not having perforations.......and some way to spin the thing.  Just thinking out loud here.

Also been playing with the idea of taking a big disk [read farm implement disk, about 20" diameter] and welding 4" sides on it and using it as a big 'wok' type deal.

Any thoughts?

well casing?? metal pipe??  sounds promising...  this picture may help  http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=3393.msg49726#msg49726  I dint make it, I don't have it, can't find it for sale any where  :P

the 20" wok?!?!? better overcome the siring problem... only gets more tedious as it gets bigger.

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 05:40:33 AM »
Where did you get that strainer? I have a similar cooler, but I us a shop vac (the wood one)

Thanks,

-pat

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 03:59:20 PM »
Where did you get that strainer? I have a similar cooler, but I us a shop vac (the wood one)

Thanks,

-pat

My strainer!?!?!  I got two of them at a rummage sale... I was pleased to find they fit perfectly on a 5 gal bucket.... and they have a hole dead center (future stirring arm)

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 01:18:30 PM »
what has become of the (keg-o-roaster 2009)... I been thinking of my drum monster dreams as I have been slowly cleaning out the spare room.....   

dennis.keating

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2009, 12:31:45 PM »
I got a flour sifting screen instead of a soil sifer. They come in 12, 14, or 16" dia.

doveguy1

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 09:14:32 PM »
I found a rosater on Criagslist so someone may that the idea and run with ut