Author Topic: Replacement french press  (Read 3953 times)

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
Replacement french press
« on: July 11, 2009, 10:57:01 PM »
I am a long-time fan of the french press method.  On the work weekdays, I make myself a press of coffee using the Bodum Brazil 8 cup press, $ 20 from Target.  I have four presses since I don't run the dishwasher every day.  Unfortunately, on three of the four units, the plastic piece at the bottom of the plunger shaft has come loose, and will no longer secure the mesh filter/screen in place.  This means that when I press the plunger down, the rod shoots down to the bottom of the beaker, leaving the mesh filter/screen at the top of the beaker. 

I have used a Bodum Chambord in the past, and it seems a lot sturdier.  Any ideas on where to find the best price on a Bodum Chambord?  Or is there another brand of 8 cup press that I should be looking at?  A friend of mine used the BonJour press, and had nothing good to say about it.  Apparently, his filter/screen assembly was plastic and essentially disintegrated after just a few months of use.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

hatethis

Re: Replacement french press
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 05:13:54 AM »
I have used many presses and I do believe the $6 Hario I found at a resale shop is the best.  The whole bottom is metal, filters grounds very good, and withstands the dishwasher over and over.  The only downside I have found was on the pour, the curve on the glass is fine, but there is nothing to help on the lid.  That means very slow pours or make a mess.

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 08:49:13 AM »
Hmm, I received an email pointing out that the Bodum Chambord has the same plastic attachment on the mesh filter/screen assembly as does the Brazil.  I wonder if any presses use a steel or metal threaded attachment point.  That would seem more durable.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

BoldJava

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »
I have two Bodums.  Neither has plastic in the area you describe.  All metal. The larger one is a Chambord; the other a Bodum made SBux I grabbed on sale.    Both are about 4 years old.

Give Bodum cust service a call to discuss. I called them once and found them extremely customer-oriented.
Call 1-800-23-BODUM (26386)

B|Java
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:35:17 AM by BoldJava »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 11:22:39 AM »
“The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them.”

Thomas Merton

Boldjava, dude....Awesome to see someone who knows of Merton.  Inspiring life-changing literature.  Wonderful opportunity if one ever travels through here (Kentucky), to stop at Gethsemane & visit the monastery.  "Seeds of Contemplation" is a wonderful guidebook, example of the spiritual journey, starting @ whatever level of awareness that may be.

"We have what we seek, it is there all the time, and if we give it time, it will make itself known to us."

Thomas Merton

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »
Boldjava, dude....Awesome to see someone who knows of Merton.  Inspiring life-changing literature.  Wonderful opportunity if one ever travels through here (Kentucky), to stop at Gethsemane & visit the monastery. . .

OT:  Seven Storey Mountain was my intro to Merton.  Rest is history.  Have spent much time at Trappist/Benedictine monasteries in Florida, Minnesota, Georgia, as well as Gethsemani.  B|Java

Back to you Bodum.  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 12:47:46 PM by BoldJava »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 12:16:46 PM »
Hmm, I received an email pointing out that the Bodum Chambord has the same plastic attachment on the mesh filter/screen assembly as does the Brazil.  I wonder if any presses use a steel or metal threaded attachment point.  That would seem more durable.

I( have a small bodum that has some plastic parts in the filtering... but the big ones are all metal?? I really like that hario one that somebody linked to... it is double wall glass...

BoldJava

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 12:51:16 PM »

I( have a small bodum that has some plastic parts in the filtering... but the big ones are all metal?? I really like that hario one that somebody linked to... it is double wall glass...

The SBux Bodum is a stout 16-ounce model and the Chambord is a 32-ounce unit.

B|Java

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 01:07:23 PM »
I just got back from buying some cat litter at Wally World.  While I was there, I wandered past the coffeemaker aisle.  Much to my surprise, they had 8 cup french presses that look just like a Chambord.  The press has a silver metal attachment point at the intersection of the rod and mesh filter/screen.  It cost $ 19.95.  I bought two as a test.  The instructions say to wash by hand, but my other presses said that as well.  I washed them in the dishwasher with no ill effects. 

I will report back on how well the $ 20 Wal-Mart presses work.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 05:44:29 AM »

Give Bodum cust service a call to discuss. I called them once and found them extremely customer-oriented.
Call 1-800-23-BODUM (26386)

B|Java

I concur. I contacted Bodum about my Santos vac pot. I needed the seal that went between to pot and the funnel. They told me that the seal came with the funnel. They ended up sending me the top funnel assembly, a $50 replacement part, for free. Top notch customer service.

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 07:22:18 AM »
As an update, I have been using the Wal-Mart press for about a month now.  It is working like a champ.  It is still solid and withstands being put into the dishwasher after each use.  Esthetically, it looks identical to the Chambord, so it is prettier than the Bodum Brazil that I was using. The quality of construction is far better than the Brazil.  If you need a press, you could do far worse than the $ 19.95 Wal-Mart unit.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 08:06:59 AM »
As an update, I have been using the Wal-Mart press for about a month now.  It is working like a champ.  It is still solid and withstands being put into the dishwasher after each use.  

You're only supposed to wash it every other month, don't ya know?  You have to let the oils and crud build up for optimal flavor.   ;)

Thanks for the feedback.  Since press pot is my favorite brewing technique, friends and customers want to try their hand at it too, and now I'll have a cheap place to steer them.  At least, for those who will shop at the Evil Empire.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 01:31:17 PM »
As an update, I have been using the Wal-Mart press for about a month now.  It is working like a champ.  It is still solid and withstands being put into the dishwasher after each use.  Esthetically, it looks identical to the Chambord, so it is prettier than the Bodum Brazil that I was using. The quality of construction is far better than the Brazil.  If you need a press, you could do far worse than the $ 19.95 Wal-Mart unit.

Well MGLoyd ... you have inspired me to update our French Press Collection.  We had a glass 2 cupper (8 ounces) which I've talked the wife into bringing to work with her.  We went for a double wall stainless steel model that holds 1 liter or 35.2 ounces.  I thought it was a pretty good deal at $34.99 Canadian.  It can be viewed here.  We tried her out today and I warmed the press with about 25 ounces of boiling water till we had it nice and warmed up.  I ground the Kenya AA/ Mexican Turquesa 50/50 blend ... dumped the water ... threw in the grounds ... poured the new hot water in ... gave a quick press ... and had her soak for 3 minutes.  Absolutely divine coffee.

Thank you for the idea.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Stubbie

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 04:24:45 PM »

I ground the Kenya AA/ Mexican Turquesa 50/50 blend ... dumped the water ... threw in the grounds ... poured the new hot water in ... gave a quick press ... and had her soak for 3 minutes.  Absolutely divine coffee.

Thank you for the idea.

:)

Maybe I'm reading it wrong mp, but I think you are under-extracting your coffee if you are pressing the grounds down before the 3 minute steep.

I usually give mine a quick stir after filling to make sure the grounds are fully suspended in water, then press after 3-4 mins

-Stubbie