Author Topic: Replacement french press  (Read 3952 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Replacement french press
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 04:34:14 PM »
It may have something to do with mp's grind.  If he's grinding fairly fine, and doesn't mind a tad more sludge, 3min. is OK.  For years, I was at the fine end of my KitchenAid Proline, and steeped for 2:45.  Lately, I've gone a notch more toward medium and steep for 3:15.  It's a teeter-totter.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 04:34:51 PM »

Maybe I'm reading it wrong mp, but I think you are under-extracting your coffee if you are pressing the grounds down before the 3 minute steep.

I usually give mine a quick stir after filling to make sure the grounds are fully suspended in water, then press after 3-4 mins

-Stubbie...

He may be grinding finer.  I believe Left Coast Tom and Midwest Peter both grind finer and do less that 3.5 minutes.  Peter steeps a shorter period of time because at his age, he is afraid he might just pass on before the last press.

B|Java

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 10:00:31 PM »

Maybe I'm reading it wrong mp, but I think you are under-extracting your coffee if you are pressing the grounds down before the 3 minute steep.

I usually give mine a quick stir after filling to make sure the grounds are fully suspended in water, then press after 3-4 mins

-Stubbie...

He may be grinding finer.  I believe Left Coast Tom and Midwest Peter both grind finer and do less that 3.5 minutes.  Peter steeps a shorter period of time because at his age, he is afraid he might just pass on before the last press.

B|Java

Your right peter... he is crankier when he has caffeine?!?!?!  ;)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 10:54:46 PM »

I ground the Kenya AA/ Mexican Turquesa 50/50 blend ... dumped the water ... threw in the grounds ... poured the new hot water in ... gave a quick press ... and had her soak for 3 minutes.  Absolutely divine coffee.

Thank you for the idea.

:)

-Stubbie

No sir ... you read right.  You may be right ... maybe I have.  I will try an experiment tomorrow ... I will  put in the grinds and hot water and I will stir it and then let sit for 4 minutes ... then I will press down and drink.  Will report back on the taste.

I use a blade grinder and I believe them to be about a medium grind.

(I'm always willing to tweak technique in Mississauga, Ontario)

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 08:40:57 AM »
I use a medium grind out of the Rocky, steep for four minutes and then press.  Through trial and error, I have discovered this is optimum for the taste of the wife and I. 

Let me also put in a shameless plug for my Chef's Choice cordless 1.7 liter electric kettle.  The quickest and easiest way to boil water yet.  Faster than a teakettle or microwave. 

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 09:09:11 AM »
No sir ... you read right.  You may be right ... maybe I have.  I will try an experiment tomorrow ... I will  put in the grinds and hot water and I will stir it and then let sit for 4 minutes ... then I will press down and drink.  Will report back on the taste.

I use a blade grinder and I believe them to be about a medium grind.

(I'm always willing to tweak technique in Mississauga, Ontario)

Ok ... tried your suggestion today and I am pleased to report that the taste was even better than yesterday's coffee.  Instead of the 3 minutes I went 4 1/2 and then plunged down the press.  Before that I made sure that after I added the water to stir the coffee grind well so that they were totally submerged within the water.

Thank you very much for your suggestion Stubbie.

lp, 7-Ski

Steve7

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 09:10:37 AM »
What number is a medium grind on your Rocky???

I know they do not match unit/unit, but I'd like to know... just for interest. I have one, too.

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »

[/quote]

Ok ... tried your suggestion today and I am pleased to report that the taste was even better than yesterday's coffee.  Instead of the 3 minutes I went 4 1/2 and then plunged down the press.  Before that I made sure that after I added the water to stir the coffee grind well so that they were totally submerged within the water.

Thank you very much for your suggestion Stubbie.

Another "little tweak" you may wanna try is to put a little bit of your water into the grounds and watch them absorb and saturate for 20 sec or so, when saturated add the rest and stir vigorously before letting it steep for your preferred time.
[/quote]

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 02:05:30 PM »
Another "little tweak" you may wanna try is to put a little bit of your water into the grounds and watch them absorb and saturate for 20 sec or so, when saturated add the rest and stir vigorously before letting it steep for your preferred time.

Thank you simmich ... I will do that also.  It sounds like a good idea.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 02:40:39 PM »
I can see the 'wet and let bloom' idea being helpful for a pourover, where the pour is very controlled.  But with my press pot, the hot water is poured in in a deluge, so all the coffee is perfectly saturated already.

So complete saturation isn't an issue, but it makes me wonder if allowing the coffee to bloom before hitting it with the rest of the water may make a difference. 

Also, as for the stir at the beginning...  it seems to me when the coffee is stirred, it causes the particles to sink, taking them out of the suspension.  I like to pour vigorously (eliminating the need for a stir), letting some of the particles form a crust and fall out of suspension on their own, and then stir or swirl after about a minute, re-suspending the particles.

That is the best and only way to brew in a press pot!!!!!   ;)   ;)    ;)

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2009, 05:05:36 PM »
What number is a medium grind on your Rocky???

I know they do not match unit/unit, but I'd like to know... just for interest. I have one, too.

At 65.  My numbering scale stops at 40.  I have found that 65 is a good grind for both the press and the Capresso drip.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Steve7

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 09:02:58 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmm

30 does me.

Odd... even factoring in variation!

Offline bwilson

• Standard User
  • Hi - My name is Bruce and I'm a Coffeeholic
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 12:11:41 PM »
Also, as for the stir at the beginning...  it seems to me when the coffee is stirred, it causes the particles to sink, taking them out of the suspension.  I like to pour vigorously (eliminating the need for a stir), letting some of the particles form a crust and fall out of suspension on their own, and then stir or swirl after about a minute, re-suspending the particles.

I've read the same type of PP technique over on one of the more famous retail sites.  T.O. prefers not to stir right after the pour as well.  I've always stirred write after the pour.   :o  Am I missing out on the true potential of my press pot experience?  ???
As a man sows, so he shall reap - Law of Karma

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 12:16:54 PM »

I've read the same type of PP technique over on one of the more famous retail sites.  T.O. prefers not to stir right after the pour as well.  I've always stirred write after the pour.   :o  Am I missing out on the true potential of my press pot experience?  ???

Rats!  I've been found out; that's who mentored me on the FP.  After watching the coffee particles in both techniques, it appears that the non-stir method keeps the particles aloft (to use JohnF's word) longer, and that's what we want.

All I can say is switch for a week, switch back and forth, a week at a time, and report back.

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 06:43:22 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmm

30 does me.

Odd... even factoring in variation!

How interesting.  My espresso grind is at 26 and my burrs just start to touch at 12.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd