Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 123158 times)

Offline JimsJava

• Standard User
Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2010, 08:36:34 PM »
Sonofresco has a Facebook page that I just joined. I'm considering buying the 2 pound unit and making it portable to take to a Farmer's Market. I started a discussion on Sonofresco's Facebook page for Sonofresco owners using their roaster at markets. If any of you are using your roaster in a portable fashion, would you mind sharing your experience in the discussion I started there? Feel free to double-post here, too...
I make serious coffee. So strong it wakes up the neighbors.

draagoth

« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2010, 08:09:43 AM »
Sonofresco has a Facebook page that I just joined. I'm considering buying the 2 pound unit and making it portable to take to a Farmer's Market. I started a discussion on Sonofresco's Facebook page for Sonofresco owners using their roaster at markets. If any of you are using your roaster in a portable fashion, would you mind sharing your experience in the discussion I started there? Feel free to double-post here, too...

Hi Jim, I have used one of the 2# units at a friends house. He has it set up in a barn. After seeing that roaster in action, I had the same idea you have. Build a cart and haul it down to the local flea market.

I figure it would obviously be necessary to have the bags for sale ready before hand, but having that thing running so people would be drawn in would be the key. Once they wander over to see what is going on I would engage them with a bunch of coffee geek factoids. That always seems to peek peoples interest.  I was also thinking of bringing a Cambro check it out here full of coffee so I could give out samples. I think most people can't believe how good fresh roasted coffee is. Getting them to try a free sample should be a snap and pretty economical too. Then, just find out how many bags they want.

I think the machine would do fine as long as the temp wasn't too extreme. Then again if the stand is built up. I'll bet the stands temp could be regulated to an extent, thus stretching the coffee selling season.

I'm kinda too busy right now to move on this opportunity, but I think it would be perfect for someone who has the time.

I'll be checking back to see how your project is coming along.

Rob :D

Tex

« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2010, 09:28:56 AM »
I took my Sono to one market and the management made me turn it off. Seems not everyone loves the scent & smoke of roasting coffee? That and the health codes for selling precooked food and on-site preparation is much different, so I decided to sell only preroasted.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2010, 10:44:11 AM »
I took Larry's Sono to one market and the management made me turn it off. Seems not everyone loves the scent & smoke of roasting coffee? That and the health codes for selling precooked food and on-site preparation is much different, so I decided to sell only preroasted.

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2010, 11:08:44 AM »
I took Larry's :thefinger: Sono to one market and the management made me turn it off. Seems not everyone loves the scent & smoke of roasting coffee? That and the health codes for selling precooked food and on-site preparation is much different, so I decided to sell only preroasted.

;D

;D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2010, 11:38:11 AM »
I took Larry's :thefinger: Sono to one market and the management made me turn it off. Seems not everyone loves the scent & smoke of roasting coffee? That and the health codes for selling precooked food and on-site preparation is much different, so I decided to sell only preroasted.

;D

;D

:icon_rr:
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline JimsJava

• Standard User
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2010, 04:37:44 PM »
I took my (Larry's or whoever...  ;D ) Sono to one market and the management made me turn it off. Seems not everyone loves the scent & smoke of roasting coffee? That and the health codes for selling precooked food and on-site preparation is much different, so I decided to sell only preroasted.

I thought a bit about the roasting smoke issue. Did you vent the roaster upward/outward in any way? I was thinking to have some type of "chimney" (i.e. a 3-4" diameter vent pipe coming off the roaster, back toward back of booth/tent and then upward about 4 feet to take the smoke a bit above the crowd to disperse). This would be lightweight so could be clamped to a stable pole. Any thoughts?

Tex

« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2010, 06:41:35 PM »
I took my (Larry's or whoever...  ;D ) Sono to one market and the management made me turn it off. Seems not everyone loves the scent & smoke of roasting coffee? That and the health codes for selling precooked food and on-site preparation is much different, so I decided to sell only preroasted.

I thought a bit about the roasting smoke issue. Did you vent the roaster upward/outward in any way? I was thinking to have some type of "chimney" (i.e. a 3-4" diameter vent pipe coming off the roaster, back toward back of booth/tent and then upward about 4 feet to take the smoke a bit above the crowd to disperse). This would be lightweight so could be clamped to a stable pole. Any thoughts?

The complaints were coming from sellers of meats, breads, veggies, and other food stuff. Everything smelled like coffee - fine for me, but when you're selling samples of dry-aged beef not so good.

I thought about using a Coleman kerosene stove as an afterburner to eat any smoke or scent of roasting coffee. Decided it wasn't worth the trouble and just took bags from then on.

yorel23

« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2010, 08:28:32 PM »
I was wondering if anyone here has reverse engineered the temperature sensor for the Sonofresco roasters?  One of mine is acting up, giving random errors at random times for no apparent reasons.  I'm thinking the sensor is going out, but having a hard time wanting to pay Sonofresco $100 plus shipping for what is probably $15-$20 in parts.  I thought I would check here before tearing into it.  I know some people here have torn into these roasters in great detail (hello Larry) and might have an idea on where to start on this.  Understand, I would love to just buy the parts from Sonofresco but their mark up on parts seems a bit overboard if you ask me :-\.

milowebailey

« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2010, 06:10:17 AM »
I was wondering if anyone here has reverse engineered the temperature sensor for the Sonofresco roasters?  One of mine is acting up, giving random errors at random times for no apparent reasons.  I'm thinking the sensor is going out, but having a hard time wanting to pay Sonofresco $100 plus shipping for what is probably $15-$20 in parts.  I thought I would check here before tearing into it.  I know some people here have torn into these roasters in great detail (hello Larry) and might have an idea on where to start on this.  Understand, I would love to just buy the parts from Sonofresco but their mark up on parts seems a bit overboard if you ask me :-\.

Yep, nothing from sono is under $75 it seems.  I never had my temp sensor go out, but I know they do.  I'm sure it's on off the shelf part from Omega.  It's an RTD sensor

Maybe pull it apart and look for a part number.

from what I see on the Omega site... it may be a RTD-1-1PT100K2515-36-T  $38  but I don't know for sure.

sono's kit does come with all the mounting hardware and connector too... sono's price $75

BoldJava

« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2010, 06:14:27 AM »

Have that liability insurance all paid up -- child wanders along and touches it.

B|Java

yorel23

« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2010, 08:01:19 PM »

Yep, nothing from sono is under $75 it seems.  I never had my temp sensor go out, but I know they do.  I'm sure it's on off the shelf part from Omega.  It's an RTD sensor

Maybe pull it apart and look for a part number.

from what I see on the Omega site... it may be a RTD-1-1PT100K2515-36-T  $38  but I don't know for sure.

sono's kit does come with all the mounting hardware and connector too... sono's price $75

Thanks for the tips Larry!  I'll have to take it apart this weekend and see what I can find out.  I'm actually surprised that the Omega RTD is that expensive.  Maybe Sonofresco is not as far out of line as I thought.  They are quoting me $100 plus shipping though.  Gotta do something though.  Every time it alarms (E5) in the middle of a roast, I through 1lb of beans out the window.  E5 is the code for an abnormal temperature increase (possible fire) and it kills the roast immediately.  It just happens randomly (now about once every five roasts) and I can find no reason for it.  I think if someone would invent some sort of aftermarket profiling control for these machines, I could skip this repair altogether (hint, hint,  ;) ).

milowebailey

« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2010, 08:18:02 PM »
Sounds like the RTA may be going.  Did you explain that to Sono.  You may also want to quote their web price... $75.  Shipping should only be $5 or so... if not I could pick it up for you and mail it.... but then you'd have to pay sales tax... so on second thought... might be better to have them mail it.

Offline JimsJava

• Standard User
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2010, 10:19:13 PM »

Have that liability insurance all paid up -- child wanders along and touches it.

B|Java

That's what the double-razor concertina wire surrounding the roaster is supposed to prevent.  ;D

J's|Java

AmishMenno

« Reply #119 on: December 26, 2010, 10:51:12 AM »
 Batch size was exactly why I sold my Sono and bought a Hottop. Funny thing is, I'm liking the coffee from the HT so much I'm roasting twice a week, which is more than the capacity of one batch on the Sono.
So maybe batch size wasn't the problem: Maybe the Sono just didn't roast that well? No slam intended - I'm serious.[/quote]

I have a HT and was thinking to go to the Sono but after reading this -- it sounds like I would be going backwards. So, I better look into an expensive drum roaster if I want to upgrade from the HT. Good to hear all the comments, good and not so good.