Author Topic: Clever Coffee Dripper  (Read 9517 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Clever Coffee Dripper
« on: August 30, 2009, 07:14:38 PM »
Anybody using one of these?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 11:27:38 AM by Joe »
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Clever Coffee Dripper
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 07:25:37 PM »
All I know about the concept of dwelled pourover brewing is this...

I don't know why I never thought of this before...

I really love the Melitta Perfect Brew single cup pourover.  They allow me to try a bunch of different drip coffees in short order, they are really convenient, and the quality is great.  If you asked me what the biggest problem is with them, I would say that they brew just a bit too fast.  Well, I solved this problem, and just might have to get a bunch of these puppies fabricated.  I took a very small neoprene rubber plug and threaded a piece of fishing line through it with a needle.  I stuck the plug into the hole on the bottom of the filter holder, and voila!  The water gets full contact with the coffee until I decide to 'pull the plug'.  90 seconds worked really great this morning on some Kenya Gethumbwini Peaberry.  I noticed a lot more spice in the cup than I got without the additional extraction time.  They sell these little plugs at the hardware store (I think it was a size 00000 neoprene stopper) but you could probably find a lot of similar items that would work for the same purpose.  w00t!
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:39:29 PM »
Gee, think I should get one.  <giggles manically>

I didn't get it at first....that was pretty funny.  ;D

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:49:21 PM by Joe »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 07:57:36 PM »
I e-mailed SM's about a quantity discount for my customers.  We'll see where that goes, but I can't imagine they'll cut much off their $13.50 price.

If I keep a case of 'em around here, does that count as 12 for my coffee-toy competition w/ B|Hoarder?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 02:15:32 PM by peter »

Jeffo

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:21:44 PM »
All I want to know is who measures their water by weight.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 09:32:16 PM »

Is this a trick question?

Does it have something to do with sea level?

Lee Morrison

Offline 4thJohn

• Standard User
  • Psalms 118:8
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 09:55:25 PM »
Pull shots left handed.    Is that like getting a little 'strange' in your coffee cup... 

Aaron

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 09:06:50 AM »

That Jeffo.  Always with the trick questions.   ;)

Tom's video says it has to do with boiling or very hot water having a larger volume than cold water.  Sea level would probably have an effect too.

Doesn't matter to me; I measure my volume before boiling.

milowebailey

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 10:05:48 AM »
The same guy who scores coffee on a 110 point scale, that's who.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 10:09:04 AM »

the density of water (or just about anything) fluctuates with temperature.  Of course, with water that is probably not discernable with the amounts that are being used for brewing coffee...

cfsheridan

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 10:09:36 AM »
The same guy who scores coffee on a 110 point scale, that's who.

"But these go to eleven."

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 10:16:37 AM »
I don't know why I never thought of this before...

I really love the Melitta Perfect Brew single cup pourover.  They allow me to try a bunch of different drip coffees in short order, they are really convenient, and the quality is great.  If you asked me what the biggest problem is with them, I would say that they brew just a bit too fast.  Well, I solved this problem, and just might have to get a bunch of these puppies fabricated.  I took a very small neoprene rubber plug and threaded a piece of fishing line through it with a needle.  I stuck the plug into the hole on the bottom of the filter holder, and voila!  The water gets full contact with the coffee until I decide to 'pull the plug'.  90 seconds worked really great this morning on some Kenya Gethumbwini Peaberry.  I noticed a lot more spice in the cup than I got without the additional extraction time.  They sell these little plugs at the hardware store (I think it was a size 00000 neoprene stopper) but you could probably find a lot of similar items that would work for the same purpose.  w00t!

So, BW, where does the fishing line go.....from the top of the plug between the inside of the brewer and the underside of the filter?  or from the bottom of the plug under the brewer and over the lip of the cup?

Susan

It goes through the plug and the line ties around the handle on the side of the cone.  The plug is inserted from the underside of the cone.  I lift the filter holder up to pull the plug.

I don't use this system much anymore, because now I have a dual layer reusable filter that slows things down (probably too much) as it is.  The first layer is the swiss-gold cone.  The second layer is 9 micron (I think - I got as an unlabeled sample) poly filter that catches 90% of the sediment that the swiss-gold allows through.  It usually takes 5 minutes to prepare my morning 1.4L batch...

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 10:50:55 AM »
This looks like you could almost just take the ground catcher from a mr coffee, put a filter in it and dump your hot water into it.  Seriously it doesn't look much more like one of those store bought mesh coffee filters, with a paper filter inside it. and a stand to keep it up.

I wonder how it'd stand up to a swiss gold, although I am sure the paper filter would take out some of the oils of the brew.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 03:58:45 PM »
I use one of these brewers for making Tea. bonjour makes them and you would probably do better trying to get a discount from them.

Similar to this:
http://www.bonjourproducts.com/53764.html
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 04:08:06 PM »
I use one of these brewers for making Tea. bonjour

http://www.bonjourproducts.com/53764.html

I've used that for tea. 

It's a cool gizmo and if it will work for both that might be a good thing.

I've had it with loose teas in a really organic "granola" place where the tea had all sorts of flowers and stuff in it so there was an interesting visual aspect to it all floating and puffing up at different rates in the top vessel. 

Lee Morrison