Author Topic: Clever Coffee Dripper  (Read 9516 times)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: Clever Coffee Dripper
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 05:03:27 PM »
the sweet maria's version looks like it is the same thing minus the bottom filter so you can use a paper filter instead. I would suggest going into a tea shop they usually sell these and just taking the bottom filter out. I think I paid $10 or around there for mine and I didn't have to pay shipping.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 07:49:36 PM »
I've never used either the CCD or the Bonjour, but from what I read the screen in the Bonjour is a tad coarse for coffee, since it's designed for tea.  Then I wonder if the shape of the Bonjour would be good for a paper filter.

I just ordered some CCD's from SM's, and when they get here I'll be pestering the rasqualator for a custom 5-micron poly-felt filter cone, you betcha I will.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline bobvilax2000

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 05:14:40 AM »
I use one of these for tea:

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenuiTEA_teapot.html

The mesh is really tight and though I've considered it for coffee, I've never bothered.

The CCD is pretty cool. Maybe find a swiss gold that would fit...

- -Barrett

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 07:43:01 AM »
I use one of these for tea:

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenuiTEA_teapot.html

The mesh is really tight and though I've considered it for coffee, I've never bothered.

The CCD is pretty cool. Maybe find a swiss gold that would fit...

- -Barrett

yeah this is very similar to the bonjour, i would say exact except for the cone shape
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 02:27:19 PM »
Just as a follow-up...  I've been using the CCD for a month now, almost exclusively, whereas for the last 5 years it was the press pot.

I bought a case from SM's, which brings them down to around $7.00, shipped to Milw. they're about $8.00 each.  I'm selling them to my bean customers, and any local members who may want one, but don't think a group buy will make sense once you add postage, etc.

On Sunday I brewed up a CCD and a french press of the same coffee at the same time, for some side-by-side slurping.  The results were what I expected them to be.  The press pot at first appeared to have more flavor.  But upon closer examination I found that 'more flavor' to be attributable to the mechanics of press pot brewing.  It was a fuller cup w/ more body, but that 'more flavor' and fullness veiled the cup flavors somewhat.  The cup from the CCD had flavors that were more approachable and a tad easier to pick out.

The two cups were close enough that I wouldn't call one better, but they were discernibly
different.  I like the clean up of the CCD much more, but that's only because I can't pour my grounds down the drain in this old house.

p.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 02:54:44 PM »
The press pot at first appeared to have more flavor.  But upon closer examination I found that 'more flavor' to be attributable to the mechanics of press pot brewing.  It was a fuller cup w/ more body, but that 'more flavor' and fullness veiled the cup flavors somewhat.  The cup from the CCD had flavors that were more approachable and a tad easier to pick out.

That's a darn good description of the difference of a well-extracted pourover vs. a press pot.  You get more suspended solids with a press pot, and most of them are not visible.  It gives the brew a heavier mouthfeel, but seems to desensitize the taste buds of certain flavors.  When cupping by the classic method- 'whooshing', slurping, and spitting with a great deal of nebulization and air flow - those suspended solids don't get to 'settle' on taste centers and detract from the experience.  But if you are just plain drinking pressed, or non-filtered (as with classic cupping) brew, that is one of the drawbacks.  You will get more oil, and more body, but many of the subtle cup flavors can get buried unless you chew and aspirate a little.   

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 03:45:14 PM »
I like the clean up of the CCD much more..

Filtered vs. screened?

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 05:50:56 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 04:07:14 PM »

Filtered vs. screened?

Come again...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:29:57 PM by peter »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 04:24:33 PM »
I think this one from the same manufacturer has a screen for a filter ??

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
Come again...

I guess I'm saying any paper filtered cup will be cleaner than a FP...that bit is expected.

You should test the Clever against a standard cone to see the opposite if what you tested (the depth of the Clever cup vs. standard) the way I'm looking at it anyway.  

;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 05:54:10 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 08:19:45 PM »
Come again...

I guess I'm saying any paper filtered cup will be cleaner than a FP...that bit is expected.

You should test the Clever against a standard cone to see the opposite if what you tested (the depth of the Clever cup vs. standard) the way I'm looking at it anyway.  

;)

I'll have to see if B|CoffeeToys will lend me his Hario ceramic.

BoldJava

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 04:50:06 AM »

I'll have to see if B|CoffeeToys will lend me his Hario ceramic.

Bring it Friday and we can have a 'cup off,' with multiple voices chiming in, rather than have any Peter/B|Java biases.

B|HarioReigns

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 02:31:26 PM »
I will bring the strayclay ceramic pour-overs and chemex filters (just to muddy the data pool)

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 03:39:14 PM »
I will bring the strayclay ceramic pour-overs and chemex filters (just to muddy the data pool)

To save you the trouble of bringing the Chemex filters, I'd be glad to make some 'cut and glue' filters from some paper grocery bags.  They'd have to be better than Chemex.   :-X

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2009, 12:34:41 PM »
I couldn't resist any longer. I had to order my own CCD. In transit via Priority Mail. I have been assimilated.