Author Topic: Clever Coffee Dripper  (Read 9519 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Clever Coffee Dripper
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
I couldn't resist any longer. I had to order my own CCD. In transit via Priority Mail. I have been assimilated.

You'll now have the best of both worlds.  And best of all, you'll now have B|Java beat in the coffee-toy race.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2009, 12:59:02 PM »

And best of all, you'll now have B|Java beat in the coffee-toy race.

That was my goal all along   ;)

I guess since B|Javatoys doesn't own an Aeropress, I'll always be +1.  :P ;D

They may already been posted, But here are a couple of vid's from Tom,s Blog:

CCD vs French Press vs. dripper

CCD vs Aeropress

BoldJava

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2009, 03:43:42 PM »
I couldn't resist any longer. I had to order my own CCD. In transit via Priority Mail. I have been assimilated.

I am profoundly saddened by the news that my-main-man-Hario-go-to-homeboy would stoop to buying a CCD.  <grins>.

I have to reprocess my mental model.  You already have the best of all toys...

B|Java

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 02:01:07 PM »
My wife brought in a package from Sweet Maria's last night....at 10:15 p.m. The following conversation ensued:

My wife: "You got this in the mail today."

Me: "Why didn't you give it to me when I got home [at 5:30]."

MW: "I was in the garage when it came. I left it in there and just forgot about it"

Me: "Dang. It's to late to experiment with it now. I wish you had told me it was here."

MW: "I did tell you it was here, just now."

Sheesh. ::)

Anyway, I've had the chance to use it twice and I must say the jury is still out on this brewing device.

My first test was my morning cup. ~25 grams of coffee and a 4 minute steep time. Using the standard pour over grind the coffee came out bitter and over extracted. I think my water may have been to hot. I didn't measure the temp, so I'm just guessing.

Test 2 was my afternoon cup. Used a coarse Press Pot grind and 4 minute steep time. Again, not impressed with the results. The brew seem like it was a bit bland and under extracted to me.

I'm going to bust out the digital scales and sit down and tinker with the variables tonight to see if I can improve things. I also need to look back over this thread and info that Sweet Maria's has put together on this brewer and see if that helps.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 03:14:24 PM »
Not sayin' this is the technique, just what I've settled on;

Filter is rinsed w/ hot water, heating the CCD.

Add coffee, 22g:14oz water.  Add a third of the water, boiling but not rolling, cover.  Start timer, set at 3min.  At around 2:30, add the remaining water, reheated to boiling.  Keep covered, even during the dripping.

Have noticed no bitterness, nothing but goodness.  Not better than a Hario of course, unless the Hario is B|Java's, then it's waaaaay better. 

This Friday, me and the better half of the Cabal, are doing a side-by-side comparo of the CCD and a press pot w/ my PNG, just for the fun of it.  That would be Jeffo, don'tcha know.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2009, 08:48:57 AM »
peter,

I followed your instructions and was very surprised by the results. To tell the truth I was a little apprehensive about using 'boiling but not rolling' water. But the result was excellent and much more in line with what I was expecting from this brewer; french press taste and body without the fines.

I also think the little valve at the bottom is the coolest thing since peanut butter. ;) ;D

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2009, 09:00:49 AM »
peter,

I followed your instructions and was very surprised by the results. To tell the truth I was a little apprehensive about using 'boiling but not rolling' water. But the result was excellent and much more in line with what I was expecting from this brewer; french press taste and body without the fines.

I also think the little valve at the bottom is the coolest thing since peanut butter. ;) ;D

It's a keeper in my books.  Ceramic obviously trumps plastic, but this plastic is clear and strong, and close to looking like glass.

The valve thingie is cool, for sure.  After a couple weeks of use, I found that I had to press it down into place just a little, to keep the preheat/filter-washing water from seeping through.

I've been selling them to my coffee customers, and they've been very happy with it too, which benefits me two-fold; they like that I find them cool coffee gadgets, and of course, it encourages them to drink moar coffee.    8)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2009, 12:38:12 PM »
peter, et al

Is there a way to remove the valve mechanism from the bottom for cleaning the brewer? There might have been something about that in the instructions but they are gone now. :-\

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2009, 03:39:27 PM »
I can look through an unopened box for the instructions, but I'm pretty sure that part is only cleaned by cleaning and not by disassembling it.

edit;  cleaned by rinsing.  Even I'm not immune...  wait, I better go back and check my spellinng.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:34:43 PM by peter »

Jeffo

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 04:19:25 PM »
If it can be cleaned by cleaning then I would just clean it.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 04:24:13 PM »
I just run water through mine... immediately after use...  I think a shot of soap and a soak would do the trick now and again for oil build up...

BoldJava

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 05:15:29 PM »
I just run water through mine... immediately after use...  I think a shot of soap and a soak would do the trick now and again for oil build up...

Same with the Hario ceramic V60.  Just run water through it.  Oh wait, no valve mechanism to clean on the Hario.  My bad.

B|Java

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
Re: Clever Coffee Dripperi
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 08:35:47 PM »
I also just rinse of my brewers 8 out of 10 times, but sometimes I just feel the need to hit things with soap and water or a citric acid mixture. The CCD just seems like it could have some hard to reach spots. But I guess it's nothing a soak in hot water and a sprayer won't fix.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 08:51:32 PM »
I also just rinse of my brewers 8 out of 10 times, but sometimes I just feel the need to hit things with soap and water or a citric acid mixture. The CCD just seems like it could have some hard to reach spots. But I guess it's nothing a soak in hot water and a sprayer won't fix.

I suppose something will collect the uncleanable.... then I will call peter and get another one :D

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 08:53:19 PM »

I suppose something will collect the uncleanable.... then I will call peter and get another one :D

We take trade-ins.  Cash For Clunky Clevers.   ;D