Author Topic: Clever Coffee Dripper  (Read 9518 times)

thejavaman

Re: Clever Coffee Dripper
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2010, 05:03:57 PM »
I finally bought a CCD.  Any pointers for me?

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2010, 05:46:30 PM »
Coarse grind, a 30-45 second preinfusion, fill, stir, cover to retain heat, and a 2:30 steep time.

gratefulroast

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2010, 05:57:03 PM »
Grind between FP and Drip.

Fill and Stir down bloom.

Cover

Stir at 2 mins.

Cover

3:30-4:00, place on cup and drain.

Enjoy.

Jeffo

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2010, 08:26:57 PM »
Grind between FP and Drip.

Fill and Stir down bloom.

Cover

Stir at 2 mins.

Cover

3:30-4:00, place on cup and drain.

Enjoy.

I'm so lazy I just skip the last step.

thejavaman

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2010, 05:32:16 AM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I tried it out this morning using the above techniques and I am pleasantly surprised with the cup.  This sucker just might start prying it's way into my espresso & inverted poly AP filled repertoire....

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2010, 05:59:10 AM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I tried it out this morning using the above techniques and I am pleasantly surprised with the cup.  This sucker just might start prying it's way into my espresso & inverted poly AP filled repertoire....

I just picked up a stainless and a gasketless cory vac pots... but the dripper is my early morning goto for getting good coffee and getting out the door.. (just need a #6 filter version so I can brew both cups at once)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2010, 07:23:50 PM »
Interesting video over at homeroasters.org:

Clever Coffee Dripper; Techniques and a Twist

The grind seems much finer than I am using, although it's kinda hard to see in the video. I can by how slowly the CCD is draining that the grind is pretty fine. I always found excessive bitterness with finer grinds.Maybe I didn't go fine enough.

The concept of diluting a stronger brew with water to change the flavor is something I want to experiment with.

Jeffo

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2010, 07:42:44 PM »
The concept of diluting a stronger brew with water to change the flavor is something I want to experiment with.

I've tried this and it just doesn't work for me whether it's brewed coffee or americanos or moka pot coffee.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2010, 07:54:26 AM »

I've tried this and it just doesn't work for me whether it's brewed coffee or americanos or moka pot coffee.

What about Aeropress Americanos? Ever tried those. I think they are pretty tasty myself. Like you, I've never been that fond of actual espresso Americanos

Jeffo

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2010, 09:03:51 AM »

What about Aeropress Americanos? Ever tried those. I think they are pretty tasty myself. Like you, I've never been that fond of actual espresso Americanos

I've never acquired an Aeropress. Peter has one but I don't think I've ever tried one there.

Stubbie

« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2010, 07:28:30 AM »

My wifes favorite prep method - she loves using the Aeropress and it really makes my coffee sing.

-Stubbie

thejavaman

« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2010, 08:37:57 AM »
After playing with the CCD for a week or so, I gotta say that it makes a pretty good cup. I like how you can control all the variables and basically tailor a cup to your specific tastes. The AP still has a leg up on it in my book though...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 02:53:41 PM by thejavaman »

blzrfn

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2010, 11:31:11 AM »
Just got back from a week and a half of camping using the Hario Skerton grinder and CCD.  I think next time I will take the Aeropress only because it cuts down on the brew time.  Making coffee for 4 people is a lot of work, but all were very happy having premium coffee compared to the swill labeled coffee sold at the Yellowstone general stores.   :-X

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
  • Proud Member of the Wisconsin-Illinois Cabal
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2010, 07:51:41 AM »
Well, I'm late to the party on this one (as usual  :)). I broke down and ordered a CCD a couple of days ago and it arrived yesterday.  I'm playing with it this morning and I'm enjoying the results so far.  My first attempt was "by the book" or box :) with 22 grams of coffee and 12 oz of water and a 4 minute brew time.  The cup was very good, but maybe a tad over-extracted. I didn't change my grinder setting and I'd rather not mess with it, so I'm going to play with the amount of coffee and extraction time for the next cup.  I need to get my butt outside and do some roasting for Christmas presents, so an extra cup will help me get motivated  ;D

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »
Well, I'm late to the party on this one (as usual  :)). I broke down and ordered a CCD a couple of days ago and it arrived yesterday.  I'm playing with it this morning and I'm enjoying the results so far.  My first attempt was "by the book" or box :) with 22 grams of coffee and 12 oz of water and a 4 minute brew time.  The cup was very good, but maybe a tad over-extracted. I didn't change my grinder setting and I'd rather not mess with it, so I'm going to play with the amount of coffee and extraction time for the next cup.  I need to get my butt outside and do some roasting for Christmas presents, so an extra cup will help me get motivated  ;D

FWIW I have settled on about 2.5 minutes  grind is same as my pour over usualy