Author Topic: Clever Coffee Dripper  (Read 9515 times)

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
  • Proud Member of the Wisconsin-Illinois Cabal
Re: Clever Coffee Dripper
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2010, 12:55:31 PM »
How much coffee and water?

For my second try today I used the same amount of coffee (22 grams) and increased the water to 14oz (someone in this thread mentioned this combo so I thought I would try it and the brew time as 3 minutes.  The coffee was good, but i learned something important.  Make sure that your cup can hold the amount of coffee that you are making  ::)  I know know that my Intelligentsia mug holds 12 ounces, and using 14 oz. of water makes a little more than 12 oz of coffee.  ;D

I think I'll try 18 grams and 12 oz and 3 minutes tomorrow.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2010, 01:27:21 PM »
You had my exact recipe there, Ron.  22g coffee, 14oz. water, 3min. 

Thanks for clarifying why I always get an ounce or two of coffee on my counter top!   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2010, 01:33:18 PM »

That's his proverbial tea steeping ratio.

B|Java

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2010, 02:00:46 PM »

Thanks for clarifying why I always get an ounce or two of coffee on my counter top!   ;D

I guess I need a slightly bigger mug!

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2010, 05:40:53 PM »
my pre-coffee morning routine is two coffee scoops of beans to enough water to not overflow the #4 filter in the CCD.. my mug sizes are all over the map but my favorites are big enough..  actually I cheat if my wife wants coffee, I use three scoops.. run the first brew in my mug then use the CCD as a pour over for her 1/2 cup..

~ please don't delete my account :P

GC7

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2010, 12:47:26 PM »
The CCD has been my go to single cup brew method for a while. My method, based on Tom's video at SM, is similar to what has been described.

1- I measure out 22 gm of beans on my digital scale and grind a bit coarser than I do for "normal" pour over drip coffee preparations

2- I have a Pino kettle sitting with water at 205*. I determined that 12 oz./355 ml. of water fills the CCD up to the top of the vertical stripes/bars on the CCD so I pour most of that in, start the timer set on 3 minutes, and stir well with a spoon to immerse all the grinds.  I then carefully pour along the sides to the top of the bars and cover the CCD with a plate.

3- When the 3 minutes are up I put the CCD on top of my preheated mug and let it drain.

This has worked well for my tastes.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:25:58 PM by GC7 »

BoldJava

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2010, 12:51:56 PM »
...  actually I cheat if my wife wants coffee, I use three scoops.. run the first brew in my mug then use the CCD as a pour over for her 1/2 cup..

~ please don't delete my account :P

Double dipping.

I don't think your account should be deleted.  I think you should just be placed in time out, or maybe hot topics only, for a very long period of time.  Recant you lout!  From this side of the 42* 30' border, I will sell you an indulgence to keep you from being banished to just hot topics.

B|Java

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2010, 04:06:47 PM »
The coffee was good, but i learned something important.  Make sure that your cup can hold the amount of coffee that you are making  ::)  I know know that my Intelligentsia mug holds 12 ounces, and using 14 oz. of water makes a little more than 12 oz of coffee.  ;D

I think i figured out something this morning...  When i went to make my morning cup I set the CCD on top of my mug and then ran some hot water through to rinse the filter and preheat things. Then I move the CCD to the coaster and went through my brewing process.  Once the three minutes was up I went to move it to the mug and realized that i hadn't dumped the water out of the mug from the rinse/heating  ::)  Maybe that's why my previous attempt overflowed my mug...  I guess i should be allowed to operate this thing until I've had some caffeine  ;D

BTW, my wife informed me that I had to put the CCD back in the box until Christmas.  Can you spell G-R-I-N-C-H?  :D

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2010, 04:09:46 PM »

BTW, my wife informed me that I had to put the CCD back in the box until Christmas.  Can you spell G-R-I-N-C-H?  :D

We can fix her wagon; I'll send you an extra CCD as a loaner...   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2010, 07:09:25 PM »
only hot topics?!?!?! that's not very bad lately... I don't need an indulgence.. just have to stand on my head in the corner, spit quarters and say The Lord's Prayer 10 times..

I do pre wet the filter (with the first cup of coffee) for the co-raining mid-west champin cuppers's half cup

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2011, 06:48:40 PM »
Oolala. A new Clever Coffee Dripper on the horizon? What's that I spy in Tom's new video, hidden among all that oh-so-useful information concerning cleaning the CCD?

Black. Nice.

Cleaning the Clever Coffee Dripper
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:50:23 PM by headchange4u »

FinerGrind

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2011, 06:36:15 AM »
I bought one of these at the SCAA show this year - paid too much for it! ($30) But I wanted to experiment. It's the perfect combo with the Hario Mini-mill in that both fit well into a laptop bag. I like that it is heavier plastic than the conventional CCD which seems brittle to me. I've not tried to break a Clever, but the black plastic seems bulletproof and might hold up better in a dish washer - again, I hand wash them so I haven't taken the smaller CCD through any paces.

I will carry these one they are available here in the U.S. and perhaps combo-kit the Hario Mini-mill and sell it for one price.

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2011, 11:03:06 AM »
I have noticed some crazing in the clear plastic of at least one of my CCDs, but so far no failures.  I no longer run them through the dishwasher.

BTW (just watched the vid) OxyClean works great for these things.  Besides having three CCDs, I have two ABID tea makers and the tea really stains up the valves.  OxyClean powers out the coffee and tea stains from these devices and the ceramic burrs on my hand grinders.  The largest tea maker I have is the perfect size to make a pitcher of iced tea in winter when I'm not making sun tea.

Sorry for the OT question, but, can you tell me what the ratio of OxyClean to water that you use to clean the ceramic burrs of your hand grinder.  I have a Kyocera CM45, and the burrs could stand a bit of "whitening".

Thanks!

she_wolf_ak

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »
 8) I love mine use it every morning

bucksmoney

« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2011, 08:58:51 AM »
just ordered one and waiting for it to be delivered.
can't wait to try it