Author Topic: SF Bay area - Bunn grinder (not sure which model) $75  (Read 1299 times)

JoshInCA

SF Bay area - Bunn grinder (not sure which model) $75
« on: September 14, 2009, 12:26:49 PM »
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/app/1373961514.html

(I know zero, nada, zip, about the grinder or the seller.)

Tex

Re: SF Bay area - Bunn grinder (not sure which model) $75
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 12:32:15 PM »
It's a Bunn G2 - attractive price if you need a bulk grinder!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 05:15:08 PM »
That is a great buy ... compares favorably with a reconditioned Baratsa.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 06:57:43 PM »
Only if price is the only determining factor. Bulk grinders like the G2 are completely out of place as brew grinders and don't have the adjustability needed for espresso.

Bulk grinders are best used for what they're built for - grinding 1 - 3 pounds of coffee by retail outlets.

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 09:00:48 PM »
Only if price is the only determining factor. Bulk grinders like the G2 are completely out of place as brew grinders and don't have the adjustability needed for espresso.

Bulk grinders are best used for what they're built for - grinding 1 - 3 pounds of coffee by retail outlets.
Tex

In a way I agree with you and disagree with you... They are best for bulk consistent grinding.... I wouldn't use my Bunn G3 for my personal espresso, since I have other better "espresso grinders".  With that said I sold a pound of turkish coffee a few weeks ago and my G3 is very capable of a turkish grind.  I also roast for one person who drinks espresso and ... yes wants it delivered ground..It does a good job for that. The Bunn's are infinitely adjustable and I think once you found the sweet spot a Bunn could produce a good grind.  Certainly better than most consumer grinders.  Tricky part is you can't grind easily into a portafilter... that's the bigger issue.

For $75 that G2 is a sweet deal.... IMHO.

Milowebailey.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 09:04:04 PM »
Wow ... it will do Turkish and espresso grind?

:o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 10:06:08 PM »
Wow ... it will do Turkish and espresso grind?

:o

On any given day I might adjust the burrs 2 - 4 times; finer or coarser depending on what I see in previous shots. The fineness of the grind isn't what makes or breaks an espresso grinder. It's the ease of making very fine adjustments that separates grinders from espresso grinders.

milowebailey

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 10:45:47 AM »
Tex

I agree with you, and if I could only own one $75 grinder..... this Bunn would work.  albiet a PITA to adjust for expresso.... it will produce a good even grind.

Tex

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 12:23:10 PM »
One other point and then I'll let this thread die. The Bunn G2 is 27" tall; compare this to a Mazzer Super Jolly's 18" (And the SJ is too tall to fit under most kitchen counters cabinets!).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:23:53 PM by Tex »