Author Topic: Pourover Kettle Thread  (Read 29036 times)

BoldJava

Pourover Kettle Thread
« on: November 04, 2009, 06:52:44 AM »
Whoa Nellie.  Pretty but pricey.  64 oz kettle from Takahiro/CounterCulture, $176.

Gives that precision in pours but my wrist doesn't support a 1/2 gallon pour for too long.  Glad one of HeadChange's Hario kettles is headed my way as I suuuurge ahead of Peter on the toy count:

B|Java
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 03:03:16 PM by Joe »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Pourover Kettle Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 08:50:35 AM »
Is a precise pour worth $176?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 11:45:51 AM »
Looks just like the spout on the Hario kettle.

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 12:38:33 PM »

???

Not to me, but to some folks.  For me?  Well, a fine controlled stream is worth $33 plus, just what HeadChange is generously delivering to us.

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 12:58:55 PM »
Gives that precision in pours but my wrist doesn't support a 1/2 gallon pour for too long.  Glad one of HeadChange's Hario kettles is headed my way as I suuuurge ahead of Peter on the toy count.

Hey, if Gretchen can manage, your limp-wrist should be able too.

I'd be surprised if some of our metal fabricators didn't jump all over something like this.  ModelMaker...  are you out there?  Come in, ModelMaker...
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 05:34:32 PM »

???

Not to me, but to some folks.  For me?  Well, a fine controlled stream is worth $33 plus, just what HeadChange is generously delivering to us.

B|Java

When you're right ... you're right.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 03:39:32 PM »
John is looking at a Takahiro kettle.  I admit to slipping this Tiamo 1.0 liter kettle (Orphan Espresso).  I like it because they have a $6/thermometer that slips right into that top knob.  It made my Christmas list.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 03:04:19 PM by Joe »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 04:20:11 PM »
Takahiro rules..  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »
Takahiro rules..  8)

We are entering a period of GCBC "club-rush" where everyone reevaluates their kettle and upgrades.  We have seen this before:  vacpots, levers, shaving schtuff.  Kettles are in.  "Club-rushes" typically have a life of 5.5 months.  Get aboard, be the first on your block to upgrade.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »
Takahiro rules..  8)

We are entering a period of GCBC "club-rush" where everyone reevaluates their kettle and upgrades.  We have seen this before:  vacpots, levers, shaving schtuff.  Kettles are in.  "Club-rushes" typically have a life of 5.5 months.  Get aboard, be the first on your block to upgrade.

I'll resist the flow, and wait for y'all's garage sales.   :)

SJM

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 04:43:49 PM »

So is an upgrade a change to whichever one you don't already have???? 
Or is there are trackable stops along the upward route:  ....... to Buono to ....... to ......... to ...........???
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 03:05:53 PM by Joe »

BoldJava

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 04:56:07 PM »
So is an upgrade a change to whichever one you don't already have? ??? 
Or is there are trackable stops along the upward route:  ....... to Buono to ....... to ......... to ........... ???

You must walk your own kettle-walk.  No one can prescribe it for you; no one can walk it for you <wink>.  Our Denver friend jumped from his kitchen hot water faucet to a Tikijiro, the Bentley of kettles.  Yours may differ.

milowebailey

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 05:59:41 PM »
I still like my Bonavita, no need to upgrade.... and I still have my swell kettle B|Pawnin' sold to me for $5 at Yemen fest

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 03:06:47 PM by Joe »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 07:03:41 PM »
I still like my Bonavita, no need to upgrade.... and I still have my swell kettle B|Pawnin' sold to me for $5 at Yemen fest

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 09:15:10 PM »
None of this is necessary..

There are pour spouts on the sides of my kitchen  pots and I'm sure I can make good coffee with them (no kettle).

But I wanted to have the the ability to pour one drop and place it exactly where I want it to go. So I can do fancy tricks and stuff.  ;)  I'm not sure if there are even more than half a dozen or so kettles that will do it.

Like B l incepted said these are individual paths and once we dive into the research a choice comes out. I researched all the options and went with something I don't think can be upgraded.  I'm ready to go down this part of the path at this time
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:22:25 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison