Author Topic: Pourover Kettle Thread  (Read 29027 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Pourover Kettle Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 09:27:17 PM »
None of this is necessary..

There are pour spouts on the sides of my kitchen  pots and I'm sure I can make good coffee with them (no kettle).

But I wanted to have the the ability to pour one drop and place it exactly where I want it to go. So I can do fancy tricks and stuff.  ;)  I'm not sure if there are even more than half a dozen or so kettles that will do it.

Like B l incepted said these are individual paths and once we dive into the research a choice comes out. I researched all the options and went with something I don't think can be upgraded.  I'm ready to go down this part of the path at this time

Enjoy the journey!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

ecc

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 09:38:37 PM »
Takahiro rules  8)

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 11:23:52 PM »
None of this is necessary...

... these are individual paths and once we dive into the research a choice comes out.

Bravo.

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 03:43:40 AM »
I am ready to bid on the the forgotten and left-behind vessels as you go deeper down your journey of discovery.  Think of me as King Ferdinand financing your expedition to parts yet unknown.

BoldJava

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 05:42:49 AM »
I am ready to bid on the the forgotten and left-behind vessels as you go deeper down your journey of discovery.  Think of me as King Ferdinand financing your expedition to parts yet unknown.

I anticipate tons of tin litter along the road as members cast aside yesterday's water-haulers.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 08:16:39 AM »
They should have made it with foot controls...
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 08:30:04 AM »
They should have made it with foot controls...

and plumbed into the water supply. 
Filling the kettle is the most annoying part of the whole process.

Susan

I need one of those bunn commercial brewers, a couple of sewing machine foot pedals, and an arduino.  STAT. 8)
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 08:54:27 AM »
"flow rates between 4 and 15oz per min"

Takahiro wins with flow rates of one drop per min and up.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 09:09:54 AM »
"flow rates between 4 and 15oz per min"

Takahiro wins with flow rates of one drop per min and up.
True, but with a little modification I'm sure you could change the flow rate.... or build your own!!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
After some initial testing here are my first thoughts of the Takahiro..

It's magnificent!

The reality is that I don't have any way to compare it to other thin spout pouring kettles but I can compare it to standard electric kettles like the Melita, Aroma, and the standard kettles available in stores.

No comparison whatsoever.

I think now that any kettle that gives you very fine control is worth seeking out should you be pourover inclined. I've got loads and loads of pours to make before I have a handle on exactly what I want to do with it but water control at this level produces immediately noticeable differences in depth of the cup and extraction smoothness.

Without ever holding another thin spout kettle in my hand I can't say how one stacks up against the other I can only say the Takahiro offers plenty of size, an attractive look, very nice balance / feel, and for me unprecedented control. It's very sturdy and I totally dig it.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

SJM

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 11:12:54 AM »
Cool!!!!
Are you heating the water in the Takahiro on the stove or transferring it from your Aroma into the Takahiro and then doing the pourover?  Do you have to do a brief re-heat (I do with the Buono)?

(My interest in the Bonavita kettle is to possibly eliminate the transfer/reheat step and still have adequate control.)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 11:28:04 AM »
Cool!!!!
Are you heating the water in the Takahiro on the stove or transferring it from your Aroma into the Takahiro and then doing the pourover?  Do you have to do a brief re-heat (I do with the Buono)?

(My interest in the Bonavita kettle is to possibly eliminate the transfer/reheat step and still have adequate control.)

Good question and timely because I just did temp testing on this very thing.

If I do a straight transfer from the Aoma to the Takahiro the water temp in kettle is 193-194.
Temp in the Aroma off boil is ~200.

If I preheat a burner and set the Tak on the burner after transfer it gets to boil in under 10 seconds.

These are the water temp basics and I'm unclear on what the ~7 degree temp drop means to me at this point but I'm unlikely to heat water in the Tak. I prefer to transfer but if I decide it matters I'll hit it with 10 seconds of supplemental heat after transfer if needed.

Taste is going to have to be the guide as I find little info on slurry temps and this is where things start shifting faster than in kettle water temps. 

Lee Morrison

SJM

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 11:33:25 AM »
I'm unlikely to heat water in the Tak. I

I tried that once with the Buono and it took so long I almost lost interest in having coffee.....:-((((((

Susan

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 11:40:20 AM »
... I'm unlikely to heat water in the Tak. ...

Why?

BoldJava

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 11:40:32 AM »
After some initial testing here are my first thoughts of the Takahiro..

It's magnificent!

And the white jammies, how do they fit?