Author Topic: Rancilio Rocky Coffee Grinder VS. Cunill El Cafe' Tranquilo  (Read 6621 times)

yorel23

Re: Rancilio Rocky Coffee Grinder VS. Cunill El Cafe' Tranquilo
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 12:26:43 PM »

3) Light/occasional use - think Rancilio MD40 or Cunill Tranquilo

This category would be 98% of home users I would think.  Daily use, but not all day use.  Once or twice a day.  Correct?

Tex

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 12:36:28 PM »

3) Light/occasional use - think Rancilio MD40 or Cunill Tranquilo

This category would be 98% of home users I would think.  Daily use, but not all day use.  Once or twice a day.  Correct?

That's right, pilgrim.

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2010, 01:06:02 PM »
Well, I was one of the very first people to buy the stainless steel doserless Rocky when it hit the retail channel several years back.  It has been a true workhorse in my home environment.  I have no problem keeping it dialed in.  I grind for espresso, drip and press and am still on the first set of burrs.  It also fit neatly under my cabinets.  Since I grind fresh to every use, I did not want a large hopper.  The Rocky is a major improvement over my Baratza.

At $359 the Rocky is a bit pricey compared to the Tranquilo's $235. That $130 would buy a lot of beans! But as long as you're happy with it, it's the best grinder for you. ;D

I also agree about the price. I wanted the Baratza Vario grinder but the difference of  paying $180 more was more than my family could afford at this time. I know the grinder is big & ugly but the savings...............well after a couple of shots in the morning she looks good to me. :D I'm glad Robert and Susan recommended the grinder, well worth the money.

garybt3

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 03:17:21 PM »
I bought my Rocky SS doser-less for $275, brand new in the box in 2003 from SM's.
I dunno why they jacked the price up so high, but I'm sure that I'd probably buy a Mazzer (not a mini) used if the price was $360.
I still like it, use it everyday...FWIW  8)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 07:26:35 PM »
I paid about $200 for a buyers remorse Rocky from WLL several moons ago.

Never have trouble dialing in exactly what I want and can toggle from drip to press to espresso to whatever in seconds.

There are many better grinders out there that I would not mind owning but the idea the Rocky isn't capable doesn't match my experience.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2010, 08:06:56 PM »
At $359 the Rocky is a bit pricey compared to the Tranquilo's $235. That $130 would buy a lot of beans! But as long as you're happy with it, it's the best grinder for you. ;D

When I bought the Rocky back in early 2003 when it became available, it cost $ 260 in stainless and there were far fewer espresso grinders out on the market back then.  The Rocky was the big thing when it hit the market.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

BoldJava

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2010, 08:07:40 PM »
I bought my Rocky SS doser-less for $275, brand new in the box in 2003 from SM's.
I dunno why they jacked the price up so high...

Gary,

Lots of that cost increase had to do with the value of the US dollar sliding against the Euro.  All Euro equipment has climbed.

2003-01-02   January 02, Thursday   US$1 = 0.965158 EUR
2009-12-28   December 28, Monday   US$1 = 0.694203 EUR

B|Java

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2010, 08:42:40 PM »
I forgot to mention: I use my Rocky for drip, press and espresso.  The easy adjustability of grinding for all three methods is a feature of the Rocky in my view.  I probably grind a little less than a pound per week for drip and press and about six shots of espresso per week. 

Over on Home Barista, the Rocky now gets relatively poor marks as an espresso-only grinder against the current competition.  If I was running a cafe, or was pulling dozens or hundreds of shots per day, grinding only for espresso, I would probably get a big Mazzer grinder as well.  I would imagine that a big Mazzer grinder for home use is over-kill, but who am I to judge? 

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2010, 05:37:03 AM »
I dunno why they jacked the price up so high...

Gary,

Lots of that cost increase had to do with the value of the US dollar sliding against the Euro.  All Euro equipment has climbed.

2003-01-02   January 02, Thursday   US$1 = 0.965158 EUR
2009-12-28   December 28, Monday   US$1 = 0.694203 EUR

B|Java

Right on B|Currency ... and if things keep going as they are it will be much lass still. 

Hopefully some integrity will return to the Federal government in administering fiscal policy.

:-\
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 12:40:18 PM »
I know currency probably did have an impact but what about the price (Gaggia Classic $400 & Gaggia MDF $240 & less) of Gaggia? Was the price for a Gaggia Classic $500 2 months ago and the grinder $300? I bought my Classic for (new) $359 just because of the price drop.  I was never going to get an espresso machine but when the price came down below $400....I was in.I wanted the Rancilio Silvia but the difference in price($200+) was too much for me to pay with a daughter in college.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:55:58 PM by thcoffee »

Tex

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2010, 01:01:27 PM »
I know currency probably did have an impact but what about the price (Gaggia Classic $400 & Gaggia MDF $240 & less) of Gaggia? Was the price for a Gaggia Classic $500 2 months ago and the grinder $300? I bought my Classic for (new) $359 just because of the price drop.  I was never going to get an espresso machine but when the price came down below $400....I was in.I wanted the Rancilio Silvia but the difference in price($200+) was too much for me to pay with a daughter in college.

Besides, that $250 price difference between the two machines (WLL prices) almost pays for a new Cunill Tranquilo or used commercial grinder.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2010, 02:53:09 PM »

Besides, that $250 price difference between the two machines (WLL prices) almost pays for a new Cunill Tranquilo or used commercial grinder.

Right on Robert ... giving you a complete home espresso setup ... that is unless you wanted to PID, OPV, and steam wand mods.

:-X
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski