Author Topic: Thermos test Stanley vs Rocky  (Read 4813 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Thermos test Stanley vs Rocky
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:21:21 PM »
It has begun....

First up is the Stanley half gallon thermos.

I think we should test them at intervals that simulate real usage. So maybe you fill the thermos at 7am and open it at lunch 5-6 hours later and then maybe afternoon break at 7-8 hours in and lastly you might open it on the way home at 10-12 hours in.

4 intervals seems like a good enough test of overall heat retention on a reasonable schedule to at least determine a baseline comparison.  I realized right away that it's not an exact experiment but hey, it's a start.... somebody else can grab a thermometer and jump in here as well you know.  ;D

Here we go:

Start time on the Stanley 1:11pm  initial starting temp 199°F

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Thermos test Stanley vs Rocky
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 12:44:29 PM »
Where did you find a half gallon thermos at?  Been looking for one that's bigger than the standard quart for a while but can't find a decent one.
Waiting to hear your results, I don't need another piece of crap that can't keep stuff hot for more than 4 hours.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Stubbie

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 12:48:54 PM »
Where did you find a half gallon thermos at?  Been looking for one that's bigger than the standard quart for a while but can't find a decent one.
Waiting to hear your results, I don't need another piece of crap that can't keep stuff hot for more than 4 hours.

Aaron

Thermos Brand 2Q at Target

The Stanley 2Q I have at Amazon

-Stubbie

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 12:49:15 PM »
Where did you find a half gallon thermos at?  Been looking for one that's bigger than the standard quart for a while but can't find a decent one.

Aaron

Well, after testing, and assuming it holds temp to your requirements I'd be glad to trade you for greens if you are interested.

I've only used it one day and it's a freaking monster in size compared to the Rock (that I will test next).
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 05:17:56 PM »
5 hour test on the Stanley.

1:11pm  initial starting temp 199°F
6:11pm                                    178F    -21 degrees at 5hrs.

Well.... so far so good. I would be ok with using my #6 thermos cone and brewing directly into this big mother at 7am and having 178 degree coffee at lunchtime.

I'll test it again in 2 hours to see how the afternoon  break coffee might fair.

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 05:25:29 PM »
Too bad you're not comparing them side by side.

:-X
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 06:12:32 PM »
I will do the Rock next.

But you are right I should have just staggered them by 10 min. and done them both today.  :-\

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 06:31:15 PM »
I will do the Rock next.

But you are right I should have just staggered them by 10 min. and done them both today.  :-\

The results should prove interesting any way you choose to do it.

:)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 08:36:28 PM »
1:11pm  initial starting temp 199°F
6:11pm                             178F    -21 degrees at 5hrs.
9:11pm                             170      -29 degrees at 8hrs.

Now I am more interested to see what the Rock does...

This is looking much better than my non measured test of the Stanley. Being at 170 after 8 hours tells me that brewing straight into it should certainly offer a 12 hour day with this thermos.

I'll grab one more data point in a bit and compare the Rock at the same intervals.

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 08:40:28 PM »
Ya know ... being 170 degrees after 8 hours is not a bad accomplishment in my books.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 08:45:59 PM »
I agree.

My actual brewing process is to brew into a SS pitcher and pour myself a cup for right away and the balance into the thermos. I might have to see how that effects the start temps but as long as it's not stealing over 15-20 degrees it might still be alright.

But yeah..it's doing way better than I was expecting.

Lee Morrison

Offline 4thJohn

• Standard User
  • Psalms 118:8
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 04:54:19 AM »
are you pre heating?
Pull shots left handed.    Is that like getting a little 'strange' in your coffee cup... 

Aaron

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 05:07:14 AM »
are you pre heating?

Yep.

I only used 140F water to preheat...maybe boiling would bump the #'s higher but I would not need that as temps will hold just fine over 10 hours.

I was at 164F at the 10 hour mark for a total loss of 35 degrees....3.5 degrees per hour isn't too bad for a big honkin' thermos like this I think. If I remember the small bottles held at under 2 degrees per hour. They did better but were pretty dinky.

I think I know why my initial use of the Stanley was so disappointing and I'll test the idea after the Rocky, but I think I jumped the gun on rating this thermos.  :-\   

Lee Morrison

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 05:58:59 AM »
IMHO, Stanley thermos it the best one out there. I've tried several different brands but none seem to have the heat retention of the Stanley.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 06:40:04 AM »
IMHO, Stanley thermos it the best one out there. I've tried several different brands but none seem to have the heat retention of the Stanley.

Careful ... technically these are flasks ... Stanley is a make and Thermos is another make.  Sometimes for expediency or maybe by accident we refer to the flasks as Stanley or Thermos.

lp, 7-Ski