Author Topic: ExtractMoJo.  (Read 4014 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
ExtractMoJo.
« on: February 19, 2010, 09:02:52 AM »
I read about this system over at Jim Seven's blog. Sounds interesting. I am just wondering if anyone here has had experience with the ExtractMoJo system.

From the website:
ExtractMoJo™ works with all common methods of brewing coffee, including: Single-Serve (Melitta, Chemex©, ABID Clever), Pour-Over, Vac Pot, Auto-Drip (both home and commercial), French-Press, AeroPress™ and Clover©.

ExtractMoJoâ„¢ software is designed for ease-of-use, and provides all the tools needed for brewing to internationally accepted Gold Cup standards. The Gold Cup program is the internationally accepted standard for excellence in brewed coffee within the Specialty Coffee Industry.

ExtractMoJoâ„¢ includes a coffee design software application and hand-held digital coffee refractometer to compute, chart and measure the brewing recipe and results on the Universal Brewing Control Chart and allows for adjustments to correct any coffee brewing method to meet the Gold Cup standards for extraction yield, achieving the sweetest possible cup.

The new Universal Brewing Control Chart is compatible with all standard units of measure, including Metric and English, weights and or volumes, and performs all conversions which may be user specified in any combination.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:23:12 PM by Joe »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: ExtractMoJo.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »
Hey headchange4u.  No ... never tried this ... thank you for posting this.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 10:23:57 AM »
It seems that this device and its corresponding software would be great for dialing in a grinder(s) and getting one's technique and brew temps down, but after that it wouldn't be as useful. That got me thinking....10 (or more) people, $30 (or less) each.....approx 1 week to spend with the system and them pass it along to the next person.....hmmmmm.

Offline coffeefanaddict

• Standard User
  • "what's a mountain goat doing in a cloud bank"
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 10:55:44 AM »
I would be all over that one!

crholliday

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 10:56:08 AM »
I am guessing the software license is not transferrable. If I wrote it, it wouldn't be. :)

It seems that this device and its corresponding software would be great for dialing in a grinder(s) and getting one's technique and brew temps down, but after that it wouldn't be as useful.

You are assuming all coffees extract the same. I think the value is pricesly that each coffee extracts differently.

I am pretty sure we are going to buy one of these this year.

cfsheridan

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 11:15:16 AM »
I am guessing the software license is not transferrable. If I wrote it, it wouldn't be. :)

It seems that this device and its corresponding software would be great for dialing in a grinder(s) and getting one's technique and brew temps down, but after that it wouldn't be as useful.

You are assuming all coffees extract the same. I think the value is pricesly that each coffee extracts differently.

I am pretty sure we are going to buy one of these this year.

I'll likely have one sometime soon as well.  I did a little try out with the demo software--very interestink.

Offline coffeefanaddict

• Standard User
  • "what's a mountain goat doing in a cloud bank"
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 11:37:13 AM »
For 800 smackers I am sure we could find five or 6 to split and share assuming of course you can share the software as well. I would be up for it.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 04:28:28 PM »
I'm torn on this one...

I guess I see the most usefulness in retail settings and in uniformity.

If we did a group buy (assuming it's allowable) I might be interested in it from the new toy perspective and just to get a feel for Gold Cup but I'm not a retail establishment and uniformity isn't my strong suit.  :-\
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

MoreForYourCup

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
I purchased the ExtractMoJo in November.  I was going to wait until this spring, but Vince Fedele changed my mind.  I'll explain later.  The ExtractMojo, for anyone not familiar with it, is part software/part hardware.  The software portion gives you your coffee/water ratio, and is dependant on the information you provide it.

For example, mine is set for total coffee yield.  I tell EM that I want to end up with 8 ounces of coffee.  It mathmatically computes the amount of coffee I need, as well as the amount of water to use.  You can set if for ounces, but I weigh everything, so mine is set to grams by volume.

EM takes into account the amount of water retained in the coffee grounds as well.  So, if you select total coffee yield, it will call for just a bit more than 8 ounces, for mine, it comes out to 259 grams of water.  It also tells me to use 15.89 grams of coffee.  Once you've entered your info, you brew your coffee. 

The hardware portion is a digital coffee refractometer.  It measures the total dissolved solids in your coffee.  The target % by default is 1.3% on the software for the international gold cup standard.  You take a sample with a lab pipette, place it on the lens on the refractometer, wait for it to calibrate, then press the read button.  It will then tell you what your TDS is.  If it's 1.2%, your reading is too low, which means you need to adjust
your grind a bit finer.  If the reading is over 1.3%, it is too high, and you need to grind courser. 

The target TDS on your software can be changed to a higher or lower number, it's all dependant on what you like.  The package is not cheap.  I purchased the version for coffee only, which was a bit less than the coffee/espresso package.  ExtractMoJo is the most important tool I have, and without it, I would be guessing at brewing coffee.  My brewing technique, and the quality of my coffee have improved so much, and I recommend this package to anyone who wants to get the best out of their coffee.

Please keep in mind that I am no coffee expert.  The more I learn, the more I realize how much I really don't know.  But one thing I do know, is that anyone who cares enough about quality coffee should have it.  After using mine, I cannot imagine not having it.

As I said at the beginning, I was going to buy this package in the spring.  I sent an inquiry at Howell's website, with a couple of questions I had about EM.  That was around 9pm on a week night.  Within an hour, I received a response with the answers to my questions.

Over a period of a couple of weeks, I would randomly send more email questions.  Nights, weekends.  Even Thanksgiving.  I received a response for every email I sent.  They all came from Vince Fedele.  If you don't know who he is, find out.  Because if his dedication to the product, and his dedication to support of the product, I knew that buying it was the right thing to do.  And because of his 'above and beyond the call of duty' responses, I made the decision to buy it then instead of waiting.

Buy it.  When you start using it, you will wonder why you waited to long to buy it.

James
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:53:18 PM by Joe »

MoreForYourCup

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 04:17:24 PM »
It seems that this device and its corresponding software would be great for dialing in a grinder(s) and getting one's technique and brew temps down, but after that it wouldn't be as useful. That got me thinking....10 (or more) people, $30 (or less) each.....approx 1 week to spend with the system and them pass it along to the next person.....hmmmmm.

Let me give you an example of how this tool continues to work for you.  When I brew freshly roasted coffee, the CO2 creates a ton of turbulence as I pour (I'm using pourover for this example).  The older my coffee gets, the less CO2 is present.  As the CO2 starts to go away, so does that magnificent turbulence.  My coffee grounds aren't moving around as much as they did when the coffee was fresher.  If I use the same grind for coffee with less CO2, it comes out with a higher percentage of TDS.  Since the major turbulence is gone, I find that I have to grind a bit courser than I normally would, and that gets my TDS back where it should be.  So, without ExtractMoJo, I would have never known to do this.  Of course, I don't like to use old coffee, but to me, old coffee is three weeks post roast.

For 800 smackers I am sure we could find five or 6 to split and share assuming of course you can share the software as well. I would be up for it.

You could share the refractometer, but not the software.  When I purchased it, the licensing agreement was for it to be installed on only one computer.

James
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:53:31 PM by Joe »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 04:21:09 PM »
It measures the total dissolved solids in your coffee. 

How you do account for the TDS of your water?

But one thing I do know, is that anyone who cares enough about quality coffee should have it. 

Tremendous overstatement (and overlooking many factors) but it's your opinion.  ;)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »
This falls into the category of a solution looking for a problem.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 04:29:48 PM »

I sort of agree.

It's offering the solution of knowing TDS and assumes everything comes to knowing/needing to know TDS.

Aside from widely swinging water TDS's from one source to the next and knowing that all S's are not crated equal it further says that this is the solution.

I'm not against the Mojo as another tool but I do completely disagree with the idea it is any sort of magic bullet. It's a measure of total dissolved solids and gives you the ability to match/replicate/manipulate those numbers if you want.

Lee Morrison

MoreForYourCup

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 04:30:09 PM »
It measures the total dissolved solids in your coffee. 

How you do account for the TDS of your water?

But one thing I do know, is that anyone who cares enough about quality coffee should have it. 

Tremendous overstatement (and overlooking many factors) but it's your opinion.  ;)

I cannot tell you how the unit takes the TDS of water into consideration.  That would be a question that Vince could answer.  His email address is vince@terriorcoffee.com.

Yes, I know, it's just my opinion.  And when I preach, I probably overstate.  But it is certainly a product I believe in and use everday.  I sometimes wish I was being paid by commission. 

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:54:03 PM by Joe »

MoreForYourCup

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 04:37:27 PM »

I sort of agree.

It's offering the solution of knowing TDS and assumes everything comes to knowing/needing to know TDS.

Aside from widely swinging water TDS's from one source to the next and knowing that all S's are not crated equal it further says that this is the solution.

I'm not against the Mojo as another tool but I do completely disagree with the idea it is any sort of magic bullet. It's a measure of total dissolved solids and gives you the ability to match/replicate/manipulate those numbers if you want.

You are absolutely right, John.  It's no magic bullet.   The science has shown me that I can't apply the same basic brewing principles to different brewing methods.  I used to use the coursest grind for french press.  When I measured the TDS of my french press, I found that I was way underextracted.  It helped me to find the right grind to use, and the right brew time for that method.  I simply don't have to guess near as much as I have in the past.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:54:19 PM by Joe »