Author Topic: Good or great espresso machines? Let the arguing begin!  (Read 68329 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Good or great espresso machines? Let the arguing begin!
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2010, 01:47:02 PM »
All this talk of a La San Marco has put me over the edge, thanks Warrior372, I think.

You cracking the piggy bank Shaun?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2010, 02:03:34 PM »
All this talk of a La San Marco has put me over the edge, thanks Warrior372, I think.

???

Not yet, more looking around is required.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2010, 02:04:37 PM »

???

Not yet, more looking around is required.

Are you going new or used?

???
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2010, 02:14:22 PM »

Keep your eyes peeled for a classic lever model if you go down that road. I can not vouch for their semi-autos, as I have never played with one. They do not come up very often. I peruse craigslist across the entire US daily, and in 3 years of looking for them I have only found 2. I was lucky enough to be the first to contact the individuals on both of those machines. There is a very hungry crowd out for them, and if you find one you cannot hesitate for even a second. To make matters worse, not that many were ever imported to the US. Of those that were, not that many have survived. So grab one when you see it. They definitely have a cult following!

Here are a few pictures of mine. The first, an orange 80 series, is in the process of being rebuilt. She is in pieces awaiting powder coating of the inner frame and outer shell. The second, a 70 series with a hand hammered copper shell, has been completely rebuilt from the ground up. It is an extremely rare one, as it is single group machine with the internal capacity of the 2-groups they made in the 70s. I have never seen another on like it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:28:22 PM by Warrior372 »

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2010, 02:15:35 PM »
Here is the 70 series.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2010, 02:21:16 PM »
Unbelievable ... you guys are like swarming Shaun like bees!

;D
lp, 7-Ski

Pyment

« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2010, 02:25:43 PM »
just trying to beat you to it.

Tex

« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2010, 02:47:44 PM »

Keep your eyes peeled for a classic lever model if you go down that road. I can not vouch for their semi-autos, as I have never played with one. They do not come up very often. I peruse craigslist across the entire US daily, and in 3 years of looking for them I have only found 2. I was lucky enough to be the first to contact the individuals on both of those machines. There is a very hungry crowd out for them, and if you find one you cannot hesitate for even a second. To make matters worse, not that many were ever imported to the US. Of those that were, not that many have survived. So grab one when you see it. They definitely have a cult following!

Here are a few pictures of mine. The first, an orange 80 series, is in the process of being rebuilt. She is in pieces awaiting powder coating of the inner frame and outer shell. The second, a 70 series with a hand hammered copper shell, has been completely rebuilt from the ground up. It is an extremely rare one, as it is single group machine with the internal capacity of the 2-groups they made in the 70s. I have never seen another on like it.

I'll let you in on my secret acquisition tool:
A UPS account! I offer to PayPal or send a check/money order for the purchase price, plus either email or send with the check/MO, a prepaid UPS shipping label. All the seller has to do is pack it, and give me the box dimensions & weight and I'll take care of the label. It's not much, but it cements the deal more quickly.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2010, 02:58:19 PM »
You know, I have had horrible luck with UPS and 50+ pound espresso machines. I know it has something to do with the knuckle heads who pack the machines too, but I have never had an issue with FedEx Ground. Plus, it has always been considerably cheaper for me. Some people are just lazy though and refuse to ship no matter how much money you offer them!

Getting an account with a shipping company is a great idea. Do you have to commit to shipping a certain number of packages per month? Do you get a discount on shipping just for having an account?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2010, 03:10:56 PM »
Getting an account with a shipping company is a great idea. Do you have to commit to shipping a certain number of packages per month? Do you get a discount on shipping just for having an account?

Just need to open an account, no requirements.

I also like to have it so that I can pay, print, and label outgoing boxes.  Then you just have to drop it off w/o standing in line, or better yet, hand it to a driver.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2010, 03:18:41 PM »
Fedex is running about 75-80% of the cost of UPS.  Have an account with both of them; FedEx has more drop off points.

B|Java

Tex

« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2010, 04:12:32 PM »
Fedex is running about 75-80% of the cost of UPS.  Have an account with both of them; FedEx has more drop off points.

B|Java

I keep an account with them all - even USPS. The best used to be DHL Ground.

If the seller seems hesitant I ask if $20 would cover their cost of packaging and that usually seals the deal. I've had good success with UPS & heavy machines - I suggest to the seller that a piece of heavy fiberboard for the bottom of the box will make the shipment go a lot easier (that's what the $20 is for).

edited: When I create the shipping label, I save it to a PDF file, which I email to the shipper.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:14:11 PM by Tex »

Tex

« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2010, 04:16:20 PM »

Just need to open an account, no requirements.

I also like to have it so that I can pay, print, and label outgoing boxes.  Then you just have to drop it off w/o standing in line, or better yet, hand it to a driver.

And one other thing, with an account you can order a lot of shipping supplies for free - free is always good!

edited: I even know one unscrupulous so & so who orders UPS 25 KG Express Paks and paints over the UPS logos and uses them for ground shipments. Those are some super-strong boxes!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:35:05 PM by Tex »