Author Topic: Good or great espresso machines? Let the arguing begin!  (Read 68091 times)

Tex

Re: Good or great espresso machines? Let the arguing begin!
« Reply #720 on: August 01, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
There must be a Murphy-ism somewhere about the length of a thread and the degree to which it diverts from the original intent? I'd hoped to get everyone's opinion about what they like about their current machines, what they didn't like about a past machines, and what they'd like to have in a future machines.

I apologize for my part in this diversion. From now on I'll post only about what I can back up from personal experience, and I'd hope others will do likewise. No more personal attacks, or hyperbole - just the facts mam.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #721 on: August 01, 2010, 02:22:40 PM »
I do believe the Peppina does have a 58mm basket

I think it's more like 45 mm.

Susan

I stand corrected. You are spot on Susan!

CAGurl

« Reply #722 on: August 01, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »
I remember how sad I was that the gorgeous Thor tamper I bought for my SAMA (49 mm I think) turned out to be too big to fit in La Peppina.   

Susan

Pyment

« Reply #723 on: August 01, 2010, 09:26:11 PM »
I was looking at this one:

45mm

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #724 on: August 02, 2010, 06:04:08 AM »
Nature at its best.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Pyment

« Reply #725 on: August 06, 2010, 12:32:45 PM »
1st Line is saying that Lelit is adding a PID to their PL041. 1st Line will have it early 2011.

That means in addition to a PID, this machine will have:

An OPV valve factory adjusted to 9-10 bar.
1000 watt heating element
220 ml brass boiler
3 way solenoid
Group is under the boiler

http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/lelit/PL041.htm

It will be interesting to see what price this comes in at.

Pyment

« Reply #726 on: August 16, 2010, 08:19:04 AM »
Here's an odd question.

let's say you have an HX machine which uses a pressure stat and you want to upgrade it, but a larger P-stat like a Sirai won't fit the machine.

Is there a way that the pressure stat function can be performed external to the machine? Is this a place where a PID would work?

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #727 on: August 16, 2010, 08:34:03 AM »
Or you could buy an HX machine with the Sirai already installed

I've been using this HX machine (Salvatore Espresso One Black) for 16 months day in and day out, no problems.  $1100

I'm not pimpin' for Salvatore, just a satisfied customer

Jake
Reddick Fla.
"Too dumb for opera, too smart for NASCAR"-Anonymous

Pyment

« Reply #728 on: August 16, 2010, 08:50:53 AM »
Let's just say there are things pushing me in another direction.

Tex

« Reply #729 on: August 16, 2010, 09:27:33 AM »
Here's an odd question.

let's say you have an HX machine which uses a pressure stat and you want to upgrade it, but a larger P-stat like a Sirai won't fit the machine.

Is there a way that the pressure stat function can be performed external to the machine? Is this a place where a PID would work?

I PID HX machines all the time. The pstat is almost as accurate as the PID, and since exact control of the boiler temp in the HX isn't as critical as a SBDU or DB, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

But I have other reasons for replacing the pstat with a PID. NOISE! The Sirai has 3 mechanical relays that open and close often enough, and loudly enough, that they had to go. It doesn't COMPLETELY silence the HX, there's still the auto-fill solenoid & pump noises, but it does make the HX much more welcome in my kitchen!

here's a simple wiring diagram for PIDing the HX.

edited: Want another reason to replace a defunct pstat with a PID? The pstats rubber diaphragm is the part that fails most in consumer/commercial espresso machines. The diaphragm kit is fairly inexpensive to replace in Sirai pstats, but there are no kits for most other brands, so it's necessary to replace the whole thing. A PID will last indefinitely in my experience, in fact I have one that's been in use 24/7 for three years without a hiccup.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:37:02 AM by Tex »