Author Topic: Good or great espresso machines? Let the arguing begin!  (Read 68438 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Good or great espresso machines? Let the arguing begin!
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2010, 06:19:23 PM »
So far, I have found a La Cimbali Domus Dosatron for $300. Worthy of rescue?

Earlier today it was the egg.

What's it going to be?  Which will come first, the egg or the chicken 'spresso?

B|Java

Why not both?
Steaming Eggs on an Espresso Machine

Is that called eggspresso?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Pyment

« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2010, 06:58:32 PM »
It's not about the money. I am much more likely to do this if its a rescue job.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2010, 07:03:56 PM »
You sold that MacDigit ... did you not Robert?

???

OK Mrs. Tex. What did you do with MP?

She spared me ... I'm still alive and kicking ... but Robert won't be if she sees that the MacDigit is still at the Harmon household.

>:D
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2010, 08:27:02 PM »

Then rescue this before Warrior gets his mitts on it!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2010, 08:56:44 PM »

Then rescue this before Warrior gets his mitts on it!

That's not old and grungy enough for the Warrior.  Besides, it is in working condition.   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2010, 09:23:11 PM »
They want $1,800 too. . . . I like older, prettier ones that ideally cost $500 or less :) . I do not necessarily need them to be grungy Peter, but people usually want less money for grungy machines vs rebuilt / restored machines. Plus I think the rebuild / restoration is half the fun. When the machine is finally fully restored in like-new condition, and up and running, it makes the final shot taste that much better.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:31:03 PM by Warrior372 »

Tex

« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2010, 09:30:13 PM »

Funny, but at the moment there really aren't any machines on CL or eBay in need of rescuing. I have a NS Personal, but it's a bit too grungy for a noob to tackle, besides I couldn't pack it for shipment anyway. Usually there are a good handful of interesting machines to be had, but not now.

It gets like this with the Bunn ES-1A machines; sometimes there's a glut of them on the market and at other times you don't see one for months. I'm rebuilding my #2 machine, complete strip job and repaint & replate everything to bring it past like-new condition. When I finish I'll be selling my #1 machine - completely restored mechanically and PID'd, but the finish is a bit rough. Probably when I get ready to sell it there'll be a half-dozen rough condition machines keeping the prices down! It's always that way.

Tex

« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2010, 09:32:14 PM »
They want $1,800 too. . . . I like older, prettier ones that cost $500 or less :) .

Yeah, I getcha. I'm still looking for my Gaggia/Visacrem lever machine and I'm just a bit too picky to settle for the newer stuff.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2010, 09:32:39 PM »
The summer is the best time to find old vintage espresso machines on the internet! The estate / garage sales bring out some real talent for some great prices!

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2010, 09:39:29 PM »
They want $1,800 too. . . . I like older, prettier ones that cost $500 or less :) .

Yeah, I getcha. I'm still looking for my Gaggia/Visacrem lever machine and I'm just a bit too picky to settle for the newer stuff.

Have you ever heard of Julius Groten? He is one of the foremost authorities on rare lever espresso machines from the 40s and 50s. He has quite a collection, and his machines are absolutely amazing! He just found and restored a 3-Group Gaggia from the 50s. I tried to upload the pictures he sent me, but apparently you cannot upload Jpegs in the forum. . . how would I convert those? Here are some of his other machines though. He is who I send photos of my machines to for appraisals.

Tex

« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2010, 09:45:09 PM »
The summer is the best time to find old vintage espresso machines on the internet! The estate / garage sales bring out some real talent for some great prices!

And you're right, rebuilding a grungy POS to like-new condition and then using it to pull great shots is very satisfying!

A few years ago we did a frame-off restoration of my son's 'vette, a car that I'd owned since the 60's. I'm sure it never ran or looked so good as it did when we put the hood on and gave it a final buffing.

There's such a sense of ownership that comes with doing the work to bring something back to life.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2010, 09:53:01 PM »

And you're right, rebuilding a grungy POS to like-new condition and then using it to pull great shots is very satisfying!

A few years ago we did a frame-off restoration of my son's 'vette, a car that I'd owned since the 60's. I'm sure it never ran or looked so good as it did when we put the hood on and gave it a final buffing.

There's such a sense of ownership that comes with doing the work to bring something back to life.

Now that I think about it, maybe that is why the shots from my 2-55mm PF La San Marcos have more body and layers of flavor  ;D . I agree it is a very satisfying feeling!

Pyment

« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2010, 05:34:24 AM »
after looking at some new machines, Ascaso products are catching my eye. That means 1st line. It's not just the Holstein markings.

But the Steel Uno Pro with PID looks mighty nice for a new machine.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2010, 05:44:27 AM »
I take it that you are looking at this one?  Have you considered the possibility of an E61 group?

:)
lp, 7-Ski

Pyment

« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2010, 05:49:11 AM »
yes and yes.