Author Topic: A bit of lever action  (Read 46157 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: A bit of lever action
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
It's like a sharp stick in the eye, I would have hit it with the Dremel already... if the Dremel could do it.

;D

The Dremel can do it with the right tips but it ain't too pretty unless you have a way better touch than I do.

Probably better in the long run to either hold off for a better option or hit Orphan for a professional job.

Looking at your vids here has me both excited and nervous at the same time. I suppose if you had started banging out pure gold in 24 hours it would have actually put me off the machine in a lot of ways... I'm sure you understand.

However looking at what you have going there right now is only serving to be the "reel" I was hoping it would be.   8)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 07:48:52 PM »
Dude, you are going to sooooo dig it. I can see a big piece of the path stretched out in front of me, I can't see the details but I can see the path and it's really good.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 07:52:21 PM »
Waiting isn't fun I tell ya.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 07:58:39 PM »
Do you have any thoughts yet on a one pull straight shot?

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 08:30:59 PM »
Do you have any thoughts yet on a one pull straight shot?

I do, in fact for the first two days that's all I pulled.

As I understand it, the PVL puts out .5oz per lever pull, to get the 1oz you see in the vid you need to pull the lever twice. But prior to any pulls you want to do a preinfusion to soak the coffee load, so you will see me pull the lever down and hold it for a 'passive' preinfusion (as I understand the term) which helps soak the coffee and prepares for the spring pressure load, this preinfusion will swell the coffee load and that's why grind/tamp is important as well as headspace in the basket. The preinfusion can last anywhere from 3 - 15secs depending on several factors. The other method of preinfusion is 'active' (as I understand the term) which involves more liberal use of lever pumping to not only introduce water but also to lightly pressurize it through the puck. Opinions are all over the ice on what works better and why and so on and so forth, which is what makes this so interesting.

But anyway, back to the 1 lever pull straight shot. The beauty of a .5oz shot is you can drink a pile of them. Understandably a one pull straight shot might be better using the single basket at approx 7-8gms per but I was going with the double basket at 12-14gms per and adjusting the grind/dose so that I was getting a decent shot without concerning myself too much about 'not extracting the coffee mass enough'. Overall it was a really fun time and I probably pulled 50 or 60+ shots before I went to the double lever pull (with preinfusion). I learned quite a bit about how to move the parameters around by using the double basket/single pull, one lever pull is doable but I think the PVL, based on it deep basket and narrow diameter, works better with the two lever pull at approx 1oz.

When comparing the same dose (lets use 13gms as an example) and comparing two shots against each other, one being a single lever pull and the other being a double lever pull, the requirement comes down to grind adjustment - a bit tighter for the double pull and a bit coarser for the single pull. Make sense?

The single pull, as you can imagine, is more intense and satisfying like wrapping a heavy robe around yourself, like a ristretto off a vibe pump... but not really, haha. The double pull is 'more open' and still satisfying but showing more breathing space and stage presence. Kind of like comparing a small chamber concert in a non-reflective surface antechamber vs. a larger concert with a three row stage setup in a taller ceiling space with maybe a window or two open to let a cross-breeze through. Not quite that extreme but it serves to illustrate what I've seen so far. Both have their pro's and con's, both have their place in the day or night and will resonate with your mood or need, fortunately the PVL seems to be able to provide which ever one you want. Or at least that's what I've seen so far but it's still early days... and really, what do I know I'm still a lever noob. ;-)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 08:39:43 PM »
..like a ristretto off a vibe pump... but not really, haha.

A few more cranks of the reel.

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 08:54:39 PM »
PVL, based on it deep basket and narrow diameter, 

What are you using for your tamper?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 08:57:26 PM »
What are you using for your tamper?

Probably one of these...

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 09:16:25 PM »
I usually just grab whatever is handiest, I walked into the kitchen a couple of mins ago to grab an iPhone shot of a tamper and figured this would fit the bill.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 09:20:34 PM »
You just can't beat a nice juicy tamper.   8)

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »
You just can't beat a nice juicy tamper.   8)

I had to grind down the plastic thing hanging off the front of my Macap to 53mm.  That works really good now.

;)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 04:57:24 PM »
Here's the same lever pull shot from two different angles, one is off my iPhone and the other is off a GoPro HD camera.

Ponte Vecchio Lusso 1oz half-lever pulls

For the HD footage, be sure to click 720P HD and then 'expand' for the full IMAX experience. ;-)

Ponte Vecchio Lusso 1 ounce lever pull

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 05:59:31 PM »
HD IMAX vids of  lever pulls....really dude, really?     :help: :help:

How long a drive is it to your kitchen from Denver?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:04:21 PM by John F »

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 06:11:29 PM »
You could be there in just over 18 hours John.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 06:20:58 PM »
You could be there in just over 18 hours John.

Nope.... Bo is up around Kalispell I think and after a few cups of coffee I need to have a few glasses of Russian River Red with him. It adds a day to the trip.  8)

Lee Morrison