Author Topic: San Franciscan 1  (Read 7093 times)

BoldJava

San Franciscan 1
« on: December 31, 2011, 06:39:39 AM »
Dropped a note to San Franciscan Roaster on the price of the SF1.  $8500.  pdf attached.  It suggests 200-600g.  Shaun can speak to that. This is the one that Shaun snagged at about $3500, which SFR's tells me is about $1000+ below what they usually see for used ones.

B|Java

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 06:43:53 AM by BoldJava »

Offline shep

• Standard User
Re: San Franciscan 1
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 06:57:25 AM »
Wanted one of those really bad. Used ones are hard to come by, so I ended up with the Quest. Not sure how I feel about that decision other than my bank account is happier. Could have purchased a used but never "used" US Roasters 1lber but I just could not get excited about it like the San Franciscan. Please Shaun, don't tell me how awesome it is!

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 07:33:01 AM »
Wanted one of those really bad. Used ones are hard to come by...
Shep

I had sent the owner a "wishful" email asking to be on a list of 'buyer's remorse' returns.  He chuckled, as did I, as that has never happened.

B|Java

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 03:11:46 PM »
What's wrong with the US Roaster 1lb and how does the gas valve differ from the San Franciscan SF1?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 03:23:06 PM »
sorry.... 8.5 k for a one pound roaster essentially..... not going to happen.... with as many out there that are a LOT cheaper and just as good. Im  not paying for a name... Just like the people who insist on 'sony' for hi fi for example when other brands are much cheaper and actually have better specs.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 11:01:39 AM »
I checked on a 6 Lb San Franciscan. $13,500.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »
I checked on a 6 Lb San Franciscan. $13,500.

That does seem rather pricey!

:o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 10:49:14 AM »
sorry.... 8.5 k for a one pound roaster essentially..... not going to happen.... with as many out there that are a LOT cheaper and just as good. Im  not paying for a name... Just like the people who insist on 'sony' for hi fi for example when other brands are much cheaper and actually have better specs.

Aaron

They make every single piece of that roaster in the US. Some people will pay a premium for domestically made items. Also, it is made with thick cast iron versus thin stainless, which is another plus. Some people will pay a premium for a 1lb roaster versus a 1kg roaster too. I am sure it's footprint is much smaller and there really are no high quality 1lb roasters on the market to challenge it at the moment.

When you get into 1kg roasters you enter a higher price point too. I believe the Diedrich 1kg is in the neighborhood of $9,000 and a Giesen is about $11,500 with neither of those prices including freight shipping. You could always peruse TradeKey or Alibaba and source a Chinese or Taiwanese made roaster for a fraction of the price, but the roasters build quality and reliability will always be in question. High quality stuff with a reputation behind it costs more money.

US Roasting Corp has good general pricing, although I am not 100% on their reputation. I got quoted at just under $10k for a 3kg form them around a year ago.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:51:51 AM by Warrior372 »

Ray T

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 11:22:09 AM »

Last years price

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 12:05:59 PM »
That is not bad at all. Doesn't Diedrich use infrared heating elements versus an open flame? Does anyone know any drawbacks to that setup? Under $7k for a 1kg toaster shipped is not a bad price at all! I am still not sure if I could ever get past the overall savings on a used machine, but I guess it depends on whether you will be using it at home or in a business environment. In a business setting where you rely on it day in and day out I think a new roaster would make more sense.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 12:25:52 PM »
Dropped a note to San Franciscan Roaster on the price of the SF1.  $8500.  pdf attached.  It suggests 200-600g.  Shaun can speak to that. This is the one that Shaun snagged at about $3500, which SFR's tells me is about $1000+ below what they usually see for used ones.

B|Java

I usually load in 500-530gms though I have done less than that (and more), regardless of what I load into the SF1 it's pretty easy to drive.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 12:26:29 PM »
Wanted one of those really bad. Used ones are hard to come by, so I ended up with the Quest. Not sure how I feel about that decision other than my bank account is happier. Could have purchased a used but never "used" US Roasters 1lber but I just could not get excited about it like the San Franciscan. Please Shaun, don't tell me how awesome it is!

Shep

Ok, I won't tell you how awesome it is. ;-)

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 12:57:51 PM »

Aaron

Not sure where you are looking to find a commercially capable 1lb roaster for 'a LOT cheaper'. I looked around before I spent 3.5k on my SF1 and my research indicated you can easily pay double that for a quality 1lber.

Pretty sure I didn't pay for a name. Pretty sure what I paid for was... well-designed, high quality materials, excellent track record for reliability, built in N. America, craftsmanship quality, great warranty from a great company, high resale value, excellent roasting results, etc, etc.

I'm roasting right now, here's a quick shot of 530gms of Tuktant about to be dropped into my Sony.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 01:17:47 PM »
Pretty sure I didn't pay for a name.

You probably just got it on a whim..  ;)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 01:59:53 PM »
Pretty sure I didn't pay for a name.

You probably just got it on a whim..  ;)

They had good beer and lots of different ones where the guy was selling the Sony.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you